Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8 - Redhat ; Suddenly last night for no reason my box looses network communication. I was messing with it the other day, but have not touched it since then and it had been working. I use Asterisk on it making it into a ...

  1. Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8

    Suddenly last night for no reason my box looses network communication.
    I was messing with it the other day, but have not touched it since then and
    it had been working.

    I use Asterisk on it making it into a voip server as well. I try to make a
    call and nothing.
    I go to the box and see lights on the switch and network card on also, but
    it is not communicating.
    Even trying to do htttp://localhost and http://(lan address) to the web
    server fails to connect.

    I cannot even ping the router, nor back to the box. Looking at the network
    settings on the card, it shows active and working.
    I then shut it down pulled out the other cards I was messing with (wireless
    & wired) leaving only the original.

    Booted it back up and it took a LONG time to boot (in comparison to normal
    boot time) .

    Once logged in I notice some apps take a LONG time to start up such as a
    terminal window.

    Looking through the logs I see nothing unsual. I also started the
    performance monitor and only using 200MB out of 2 Gigs of memory, and CPU
    usage averaging about 5%.

    Maybe I have been haxored? Anyone got ideas where I should look next?

    Thanks

    GB

  2. Re: Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:25:42 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:

    > Suddenly last night for no reason my box looses network communication. I
    > was messing with it the other day, but have not touched it since then
    > and it had been working.
    >
    > I use Asterisk on it making it into a voip server as well. I try to make
    > a call and nothing.
    > I go to the box and see lights on the switch and network card on also,
    > but it is not communicating.
    > Even trying to do htttp://localhost and http://(lan address) to the web
    > server fails to connect.
    >

    > I cannot even ping the router, nor back to the box. Looking at the
    > network settings on the card, it shows active and working. I then shut
    > it down pulled out the other cards I was messing with (wireless & wired)
    > leaving only the original.
    >
    > Booted it back up and it took a LONG time to boot (in comparison to
    > normal boot time) .
    >
    > Once logged in I notice some apps take a LONG time to start up such as a
    > terminal window.
    >
    > Looking through the logs I see nothing unsual. I also started the
    > performance monitor and only using 200MB out of 2 Gigs of memory, and
    > CPU usage averaging about 5%.
    >
    > Maybe I have been haxored? Anyone got ideas where I should look next?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > GB

    Is the card up? Do an ifconfig eth0, what does it say?

    ifconfig will tell you if everything is configured correctly. If the card
    is up and configured correctly then it's probably a hardware problem.

  3. Re: Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8

    "General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:25:42 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:
    >
    >> Suddenly last night for no reason my box looses network communication. I
    >> was messing with it the other day, but have not touched it since then
    >> and it had been working.
    >>
    >> I use Asterisk on it making it into a voip server as well. I try to make
    >> a call and nothing.
    >> I go to the box and see lights on the switch and network card on also,
    >> but it is not communicating.
    >> Even trying to do htttp://localhost and http://(lan address) to the web
    >> server fails to connect.
    >>

    >> I cannot even ping the router, nor back to the box. Looking at the
    >> network settings on the card, it shows active and working. I then shut
    >> it down pulled out the other cards I was messing with (wireless & wired)
    >> leaving only the original.
    >>
    >> Booted it back up and it took a LONG time to boot (in comparison to
    >> normal boot time) .
    >>
    >> Once logged in I notice some apps take a LONG time to start up such as a
    >> terminal window.
    >>
    >> Looking through the logs I see nothing unsual. I also started the
    >> performance monitor and only using 200MB out of 2 Gigs of memory, and
    >> CPU usage averaging about 5%.
    >>
    >> Maybe I have been haxored? Anyone got ideas where I should look next?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> GB

    > Is the card up? Do an ifconfig eth0, what does it say?
    >
    > ifconfig will tell you if everything is configured correctly. If the card
    > is up and configured correctly then it's probably a hardware problem.

    It indicates it is up and running. Just shows 814 TX errors

    I think it is not a hardware problem, though it could be, because I could
    not get the other network card to start up at all.

    Guess I should mention in addition to taking a long time to bioot, but also
    a long time to log in. Normall only takes seconds once the log in screen
    comes up, but now takes about 1-2 minutes. Thus my thinking it is more than
    a hardware problem.

    Thanks for the help so far

  4. Re: Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8

    On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:30:57 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:

    > "General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 11:25:42 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Suddenly last night for no reason my box looses network communication.
    >>> I was messing with it the other day, but have not touched it since
    >>> then and it had been working.
    >>>
    >>> I use Asterisk on it making it into a voip server as well. I try to
    >>> make a call and nothing.
    >>> I go to the box and see lights on the switch and network card on also,
    >>> but it is not communicating.
    >>> Even trying to do htttp://localhost and http://(lan address) to the
    >>> web server fails to connect.
    >>>

    >>> I cannot even ping the router, nor back to the box. Looking at the
    >>> network settings on the card, it shows active and working. I then shut
    >>> it down pulled out the other cards I was messing with (wireless &
    >>> wired) leaving only the original.
    >>>
    >>> Booted it back up and it took a LONG time to boot (in comparison to
    >>> normal boot time) .
    >>>
    >>> Once logged in I notice some apps take a LONG time to start up such as
    >>> a terminal window.
    >>>
    >>> Looking through the logs I see nothing unsual. I also started the
    >>> performance monitor and only using 200MB out of 2 Gigs of memory, and
    >>> CPU usage averaging about 5%.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe I have been haxored? Anyone got ideas where I should look next?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> GB

    >> Is the card up? Do an ifconfig eth0, what does it say?
    >>
    >> ifconfig will tell you if everything is configured correctly. If the
    >> card is up and configured correctly then it's probably a hardware
    >> problem.

    > It indicates it is up and running. Just shows 814 TX errors
    >
    > I think it is not a hardware problem, though it could be, because I
    > could not get the other network card to start up at all.
    >
    > Guess I should mention in addition to taking a long time to bioot, but
    > also a long time to log in. Normall only takes seconds once the log in
    > screen comes up, but now takes about 1-2 minutes. Thus my thinking it is
    > more than a hardware problem.
    >
    > Thanks for the help so far

    A networking problem will cause a long boot. During the boot it might be
    looking for something on the network, if it thinks the card is up but it
    can't communicate it can take minutes before it times out and goes to the
    next step.

    When you did the ifconfig was the IP address correct?

    If the IP address is correct and you are seeing the same problem on more
    that one card then I'd suspect your switch.

  5. Re: Gosh darn it...networking died on Fedora 8

    > On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:30:57 -0500, GeekBoy wrote:
    >
    >> "General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message

    >>> Is the card up? Do an ifconfig eth0, what does it say?
    >>>
    >>> ifconfig will tell you if everything is configured correctly. If the
    >>> card is up and configured correctly then it's probably a hardware
    >>> problem.

    >> It indicates it is up and running. Just shows 814 TX errors
    >>
    >> I think it is not a hardware problem, though it could be, because I
    >> could not get the other network card to start up at all.
    >>
    >> Guess I should mention in addition to taking a long time to bioot, but
    >> also a long time to log in. Normall only takes seconds once the log in
    >> screen comes up, but now takes about 1-2 minutes. Thus my thinking it is
    >> more than a hardware problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the help so far
    >>

    > A networking problem will cause a long boot. During the boot it might be
    > looking for something on the network, if it thinks the card is up but it
    > can't communicate it can take minutes before it times out and goes to the
    > next step.
    >
    > When you did the ifconfig was the IP address correct?
    >
    > If the IP address is correct and you are seeing the same problem on more
    > that one card then I'd suspect your switch.

    Yeah it's the switch. I did not figure it would be that since I only bought
    it about six-eight months ago, but I did notice it was starting to lock up
    about once a week.

    For now some strange reason it started working again. I had unplugged it
    several times as I had done before.
    This time I pulled all the cables out then plugged it back in, put all the
    cables back in. Now all is fine.

    Strange.

    Thanks a lot for assist.

    GB