getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum - Redhat

This is a discussion on getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum - Redhat ; I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the source lies on my RHEL system. I normally use the yum install feature. ...

  1. getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    source lies on my RHEL system.

    I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    ideas what's the best way to do this?

    --
    Rahul

  2. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Rahul writes:

    > I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    > modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    > source lies on my RHEL system.
    >
    > I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    > util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    > ideas what's the best way to do this?

    I don't think yum will do that without a source repository.
    Try googling for the filename I gave you and download the RPM.
    Then use yum to install the rpm.

  3. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Rahul writes:

    > I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    > modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    > source lies on my RHEL system.
    >
    > I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    > util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    > ideas what's the best way to do this?

    I don't think yum will do that without a source repository.
    Try googling for the filename I gave you and download the RPM.
    Then use yum to install the rpm.

  4. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Rahul wrote:
    > I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    > modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    > source lies on my RHEL system.
    >
    > I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    > util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    > ideas what's the best way to do this?

    I guess you have installed RHEL from an install media like a CD/DVD, you
    have source included on the media (if you have all the CDs or the DVD).

    You can also use rpmfind.net to search for the RPM, remember to download
    the one with "src" in the filename.

    It's also possible to download the vanilla source too
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

    --

    //Aho

  5. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Rahul wrote:
    > I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    > modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    > source lies on my RHEL system.
    >
    > I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    > util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    > ideas what's the best way to do this?

    I guess you have installed RHEL from an install media like a CD/DVD, you
    have source included on the media (if you have all the CDs or the DVD).

    You can also use rpmfind.net to search for the RPM, remember to download
    the one with "src" in the filename.

    It's also possible to download the vanilla source too
    ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

    --

    //Aho

  6. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty)
    >> by modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out
    >> where the source lies on my RHEL system.
    >>
    >> I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part
    >> of util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older
    >> systems. Any ideas what's the best way to do this?

    > I guess you have installed RHEL from an install media like a CD/DVD, you
    > have source included on the media (if you have all the CDs or the DVD).
    >
    > You can also use rpmfind.net to search for the RPM, remember to download
    > the one with "src" in the filename.
    >
    > It's also possible to download the vanilla source too
    > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

    You can also use 'reposync' to mirror the repository locally for speed of
    local insallations, and I *believe* that it can include SRPM's as well, though
    I've not tested that.

  7. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty)
    >> by modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out
    >> where the source lies on my RHEL system.
    >>
    >> I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part
    >> of util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older
    >> systems. Any ideas what's the best way to do this?

    > I guess you have installed RHEL from an install media like a CD/DVD, you
    > have source included on the media (if you have all the CDs or the DVD).
    >
    > You can also use rpmfind.net to search for the RPM, remember to download
    > the one with "src" in the filename.
    >
    > It's also possible to download the vanilla source too
    > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/

    You can also use 'reposync' to mirror the repository locally for speed of
    local insallations, and I *believe* that it can include SRPM's as well, though
    I've not tested that.

  8. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Rahul wrote:
    > I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    > modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    > source lies on my RHEL system.
    >
    > I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    > util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    > ideas what's the best way to do this?

    Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

  9. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Rahul wrote:
    > I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    > modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    > source lies on my RHEL system.
    >
    > I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    > util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    > ideas what's the best way to do this?

    Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

  10. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    >> modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    >> source lies on my RHEL system.
    >>
    >> I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    >> util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    >> ideas what's the best way to do this?
    >>

    > Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    > there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    > Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

    Their clones are also fascinating. Like Fedora, they've felt free to add
    features (such as the mock build system and the NTFS enabled kernels available
    in their yum repositories), and their 'yum' software publishing setup works
    considerably better than up2date or up2date-wearing-grandma's-clothing
    disguised as the yum-rhn-plugin package in RHEL 5.

    That said, the RedHat FTP site is usually wildly overburdened. Look for a
    local mirror for better download performance, one that supports 'rsync' rather
    than FTP so that you can update a local mirror.

  11. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Rahul wrote:
    >> I wanted to custimize the linux command "write" (send messages to tty) by
    >> modifying the source a bit. I'm having a hard time figuring out where the
    >> source lies on my RHEL system.
    >>
    >> I normally use the yum install feature. I've been told write is a part of
    >> util-linux and to use up2date --get-source to do this on older systems. Any
    >> ideas what's the best way to do this?
    >>

    > Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    > there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    > Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

    Their clones are also fascinating. Like Fedora, they've felt free to add
    features (such as the mock build system and the NTFS enabled kernels available
    in their yum repositories), and their 'yum' software publishing setup works
    considerably better than up2date or up2date-wearing-grandma's-clothing
    disguised as the yum-rhn-plugin package in RHEL 5.

    That said, the RedHat FTP site is usually wildly overburdened. Look for a
    local mirror for better download performance, one that supports 'rsync' rather
    than FTP so that you can update a local mirror.

  12. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Allen Kistler wrote:

    >> Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    >> there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    >> Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

    > Their clones are also fascinating. Like Fedora, they've felt free to add
    > features (such as the mock build system and the NTFS enabled kernels
    > available in their yum repositories), and their 'yum' software
    > publishing setup works considerably better than up2date or
    > up2date-wearing-grandma's-clothing disguised as the yum-rhn-plugin
    > package in RHEL 5.

    Fedora Core ain't a clone of RHEL, but the testing ground for RHEL, so
    what is done in FC may appear in RHEL.

    --

    //Aho

  13. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Allen Kistler wrote:

    >> Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    >> there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    >> Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

    > Their clones are also fascinating. Like Fedora, they've felt free to add
    > features (such as the mock build system and the NTFS enabled kernels
    > available in their yum repositories), and their 'yum' software
    > publishing setup works considerably better than up2date or
    > up2date-wearing-grandma's-clothing disguised as the yum-rhn-plugin
    > package in RHEL 5.

    Fedora Core ain't a clone of RHEL, but the testing ground for RHEL, so
    what is done in FC may appear in RHEL.

    --

    //Aho

  14. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Allen Kistler wrote:

    >>> Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    >>> there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    >>> Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

    >> Their clones are also fascinating. Like Fedora, they've felt free to
    >> add features (such as the mock build system and the NTFS enabled
    >> kernels available in their yum repositories), and their 'yum' software
    >> publishing setup works considerably better than up2date or
    >> up2date-wearing-grandma's-clothing disguised as the yum-rhn-plugin
    >> package in RHEL 5.

    > Fedora Core ain't a clone of RHEL, but the testing ground for RHEL, so
    > what is done in FC may appear in RHEL.

    Well, yes. They're also not bound by the 'must not commit major upgrades'
    requirements of a commercially supported OS. So CentOS 4, for example, had a
    published upgrade to PGP 5, and it's freeware supported on top of the existing
    infrastructure. And some things from CentOS get ported over to RHEL: take a
    look at the timeline and sources of revisions for the DVD installation image
    building tool for an example of tools migrating back and forth and improving
    in the process.

  15. Re: getting source code for "write" on RHEL / yum

    J.O. Aho wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Allen Kistler wrote:

    >>> Go to ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/ and browse from
    >>> there, depending upon what version you've got. That's how Centos,
    >>> Whitebox, etc., get the sources to build their supportless clones.

    >> Their clones are also fascinating. Like Fedora, they've felt free to
    >> add features (such as the mock build system and the NTFS enabled
    >> kernels available in their yum repositories), and their 'yum' software
    >> publishing setup works considerably better than up2date or
    >> up2date-wearing-grandma's-clothing disguised as the yum-rhn-plugin
    >> package in RHEL 5.

    > Fedora Core ain't a clone of RHEL, but the testing ground for RHEL, so
    > what is done in FC may appear in RHEL.

    Well, yes. They're also not bound by the 'must not commit major upgrades'
    requirements of a commercially supported OS. So CentOS 4, for example, had a
    published upgrade to PGP 5, and it's freeware supported on top of the existing
    infrastructure. And some things from CentOS get ported over to RHEL: take a
    look at the timeline and sources of revisions for the DVD installation image
    building tool for an example of tools migrating back and forth and improving
    in the process.

+ Reply to Thread