At what point during installation does one enter one's user name? - Redhat

This is a discussion on At what point during installation does one enter one's user name? - Redhat ; I have installed Fedora 8 twice now (on an older laptop), and both times I have been caught. I have somehow missed the request for a user name. I have entered a password, but can't recall being asked for a ...

  1. At what point during installation does one enter one's user name?

    I have installed Fedora 8 twice now (on an older laptop), and both
    times I have been caught. I have somehow missed the request for a user
    name. I have entered a password, but can't recall being asked for a
    user name. But when Fedora is installed and reboots, then I am asked
    for a user name and a password, and can't seem to get passed that
    point in working with Fedora Linux.

    Yes, I did do a search, and found that my stupidity is shared with at
    least a few other people. But most of the discussion that I found
    seemed to be about how to get passed the log-on screen. In my case I
    have removed Linux and will try to re-install again. But I really want
    to know what to look out for so that I can enter a user name as well
    as a pass word, and not experience this deeply frustrating situation
    again.

    Can anyone enlighten me? You don't have to tell me that I am stupid -
    obviously I must have missed something very obvious that any normally
    intelligent person would have spotted right away!

    Thanks for any help

    Lance

  2. Re: At what point during installation does one enter one's user name?

    During the install, you are asked for the root password. After the
    reboot, you're asked for a username (other than root) and password. Your
    root password should get you in (log in as user root with the password
    you typed during the install). You can add/change/delete users from there

    Kurt

    Gary wrote:
    > I have installed Fedora 8 twice now (on an older laptop), and both
    > times I have been caught. I have somehow missed the request for a user
    > name. I have entered a password, but can't recall being asked for a
    > user name. But when Fedora is installed and reboots, then I am asked
    > for a user name and a password, and can't seem to get passed that
    > point in working with Fedora Linux.
    >
    > Yes, I did do a search, and found that my stupidity is shared with at
    > least a few other people. But most of the discussion that I found
    > seemed to be about how to get passed the log-on screen. In my case I
    > have removed Linux and will try to re-install again. But I really want
    > to know what to look out for so that I can enter a user name as well
    > as a pass word, and not experience this deeply frustrating situation
    > again.
    >
    > Can anyone enlighten me? You don't have to tell me that I am stupid -
    > obviously I must have missed something very obvious that any normally
    > intelligent person would have spotted right away!
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    >
    > Lance

  3. Re: At what point during installation does one enter one's user name?

    On Apr 18, 5:03*am, Kurt wrote:
    > During the install, you are asked for the root password. After the
    > reboot, you're asked for a username (other than root) and password. Your
    > root password should get you in (log in as user root with the password
    > you typed during the install). You can add/change/delete users from there
    >
    > Kurt
    >

    > Gary wrote:
    > > I have installed Fedora 8 twice now (on an older laptop), and both
    > > times I have been caught. I have somehow missed the request for a user
    > > name. I have entered a password, but can't recall being asked for a
    > > user name. But when Fedora is installed and reboots, then I am asked
    > > for a user name and a password, and can't seem to get passed that
    > > point in working with Fedora Linux.

    > > Yes, I did do a search, and found that my stupidity is shared with at
    > > least a few other people. But most of the discussion that I found
    > > seemed to be about how to get passed the log-on screen. In my case I
    > > have removed Linux and will try to re-install again. But I really want
    > > to know what to look out for so that I can enter a user name as well
    > > as a pass word, and not experience this deeply frustrating situation
    > > again.

    > > Can anyone enlighten me? You don't have to tell me that I am stupid -
    > > obviously I must have missed something very obvious that any normally
    > > intelligent person would have spotted right away!

    > > Thanks for any help

    > > Lance- Hide quoted text -

    Gee, thanks for the reply!

    So what I type in is "user root" (those exact words)

    and then

    ?

    Thanks again - much appreciated.

    Lance

  4. Re: At what point during installation does one enter one's user name?

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup linux.redhat, in article
    <97fc1ae6-a57f-4c53-9124-d49f01c0484f@26g2000hsk.googlegroups.com>, Gary wrote:

    >Kurt wrote:

    >> During the install, you are asked for the root password. After the
    >> reboot, you're asked for a username (other than root) and password.
    >> Your root password should get you in (log in as user root with the
    >> password you typed during the install). You can add/change/delete
    >> users from there

    >So what I type in is "user root" (those exact words)

    No, just the username which is 'root' (without the quotes)

    >and then
    >

    >?

    Red Hat Linux release 3.0.3 (Picasso)
    Kernel 1.2.13 on a Zilog Z80

    localhost login:

    It's asking for the username here, so you'd enter root

    localhost login: root
    password: dxb62H6fjM3Fl2IhObbJ2Tub0u1Gw7acXbrr4ggbmczgXlD8b

    Opps!!! I shouldn't have showed you the root password ;-) (Actually,
    when you log in, the password won't be shown as you type it in.)

    Now, you want to use the user admin tools (which may be 'useradd'
    or some GUI thing) to add normal users like 'gary' or 'lance' (yes,
    the usernames should be lower case only), and use those accounts for
    your normal use. The reason is simple - the system trusts 'root' to
    know exactly what he is doing. There is no error checking, no "are
    you sure" - root says to do 'this' and the systems will do so - even
    if that trashes your system.

    Old guy

  5. Re: At what point during installation does one enter one's user name?

    Gary wrote:
    > On Apr 18, 5:03 am, Kurt wrote:
    >> During the install, you are asked for the root password. After the
    >> reboot, you're asked for a username (other than root) and password. Your
    >> root password should get you in (log in as user root with the password
    >> you typed during the install). You can add/change/delete users from there
    >>
    >> Kurt
    >>

    >> Gary wrote:
    >>> I have installed Fedora 8 twice now (on an older laptop), and both
    >>> times I have been caught. I have somehow missed the request for a user
    >>> name. I have entered a password, but can't recall being asked for a
    >>> user name. But when Fedora is installed and reboots, then I am asked
    >>> for a user name and a password, and can't seem to get passed that
    >>> point in working with Fedora Linux.
    >>> Yes, I did do a search, and found that my stupidity is shared with at
    >>> least a few other people. But most of the discussion that I found
    >>> seemed to be about how to get passed the log-on screen. In my case I
    >>> have removed Linux and will try to re-install again. But I really want
    >>> to know what to look out for so that I can enter a user name as well
    >>> as a pass word, and not experience this deeply frustrating situation
    >>> again.
    >>> Can anyone enlighten me? You don't have to tell me that I am stupid -
    >>> obviously I must have missed something very obvious that any normally
    >>> intelligent person would have spotted right away!
    >>> Thanks for any help
    >>> Lance- Hide quoted text -

    > Gee, thanks for the reply!
    >
    > So what I type in is "user root" (those exact words)
    >
    > and then
    >

    > ?
    >
    > Thanks again - much appreciated.
    >
    > Lance

    The username is "root" the password is the password you entered during
    the install.

+ Reply to Thread