device 'xxx' not found when starting network - Redhat

This is a discussion on device 'xxx' not found when starting network - Redhat ; I have a new linux install. It was ghosted from another machine and I think the first time it booted it asked me something about the network interfaces being different. I haven't the slighest idea how I responded. But now ...

  1. device 'xxx' not found when starting network

    I have a new linux install. It was ghosted from another machine and I
    think the first time it booted it asked me something about the network
    interfaces being different. I haven't the slighest idea how I
    responded. But now when the network starts I get about 10 minutes
    worth of :

    interface 'devxxxx' not found

    it scrolls on and on with a bunch of different devices. The network
    comes up ok when its done, but it usually ends this list with a
    segmentation fault.

  2. Re: device 'xxx' not found when starting network

    On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Scooter wrote:
    > I have a new linux install. It was ghosted from another machine and I
    > think the first time it booted it asked me something about the network
    > interfaces being different. I haven't the slighest idea how I
    > responded. But now when the network starts I get about 10 minutes
    > worth of :
    >
    > interface 'devxxxx' not found
    >
    > it scrolls on and on with a bunch of different devices. The network
    > comes up ok when its done, but it usually ends this list with a
    > segmentation fault.

    You could try running kudzu to detect hardware changes. But, honestly,
    your best bet is to install Linux from source and then copy over the
    data and maybe binary apps from this other machine.

  3. Re: device 'xxx' not found when starting network

    John Oliver wrote:
    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 13:18:48 -0700 (PDT), Scooter wrote:
    >> I have a new linux install. It was ghosted from another machine and I
    >> think the first time it booted it asked me something about the network
    >> interfaces being different. I haven't the slighest idea how I
    >> responded. But now when the network starts I get about 10 minutes
    >> worth of :
    >>
    >> interface 'devxxxx' not found
    >>
    >> it scrolls on and on with a bunch of different devices. The network
    >> comes up ok when its done, but it usually ends this list with a
    >> segmentation fault.

    > You could try running kudzu to detect hardware changes. But, honestly,
    > your best bet is to install Linux from source and then copy over the
    > data and maybe binary apps from this other machine.

    It depends on your OS, but in RHEL and Fedora, there is a setting in
    /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifcfg-eth* that associates particular eth0,
    eth1, etc. network ports with specific MAC addresses of network hardware.
    Perhaps you need to reset that?

+ Reply to Thread