Cannot boot - Redhat

This is a discussion on Cannot boot - Redhat ; I use RHEL 4.0. I created a new volume group with system-config-lvm and accidentally mounted it on / where /dev/sda3 was already mounted. Although I left "mount on startup" unchecked, the system would not come up when I restarted. How ...

  1. Cannot boot

    I use RHEL 4.0.

    I created a new volume group with system-config-lvm and accidentally
    mounted it on / where /dev/sda3 was already mounted. Although I left
    "mount on startup" unchecked, the system would not come up when I
    restarted.

    How can I fix it? Please help.

    Boriska

  2. Re: Cannot boot

    Boriska wrote:
    > I use RHEL 4.0.
    > I created a new volume group with system-config-lvm and accidentally
    > mounted it on / where /dev/sda3 was already mounted. Although I left
    > "mount on startup" unchecked, the system would not come up when I
    > restarted.
    > How can I fix it? Please help.

    Suggestion only. I have never had this problem. Considering my skill at
    screwing things up this is surprising.

    cat /etc/mtab and see if it is there at all. If not then it is not mounted. If
    not mounted redo the configuration and put it some place else. If it is there
    use it where it is or umount it and put it some place else.

    --
    The way to be against racism and still be a racist is to condemn Israel's
    occupation of Palestinians.

  3. Re: Cannot boot

    Boriska wrote:
    > I use RHEL 4.0.
    >
    > I created a new volume group with system-config-lvm and accidentally
    > mounted it on / where /dev/sda3 was already mounted. Although I left
    > "mount on startup" unchecked, the system would not come up when I
    > restarted.
    >
    > How can I fix it? Please help.
    >
    > Boriska

    Dear Boriska,

    This might help:

    Start the system with CD1 and go to rescue mode, by typing at the
    bootprompt:

    linux rescue

    Then answer the language and keyboard question.
    When asked to look for installation say yes.

    Do not do a chroot, but just go to the /mnt/sysimage/etc directory and
    edit the fstab.

    Hint for another time:
    check the /etc/fstab before you reboot and do let system-config-lvm
    do the mount (if possible).

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

+ Reply to Thread