Disableing IPv6 in RHEL 4/5 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Disableing IPv6 in RHEL 4/5 - Redhat ; Hi. Our servers are running IPv4, so we thought we'd simply disable IPv6 in an attempt to prevent IPv6-based attacks. Is it possible to disable IPv6, or must be use iptables to block all IPV6 traffic? Regards, kenneho...

  1. Disableing IPv6 in RHEL 4/5

    Hi.

    Our servers are running IPv4, so we thought we'd simply disable IPv6
    in an attempt to prevent IPv6-based attacks.
    Is it possible to disable IPv6, or must be use iptables to block all
    IPV6 traffic?

    Regards,

    kenneho

  2. Re: Disableing IPv6 in RHEL 4/5

    Sure, stop the IPv6 service.

    kenneho wrote:
    > Hi.
    >

    > Our servers are running IPv4, so we thought we'd simply disable IPv6
    > in an attempt to prevent IPv6-based attacks.
    > Is it possible to disable IPv6, or must be use iptables to block all
    > IPV6 traffic?
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > kenneho

  3. Re: Disableing IPv6 in RHEL 4/5

    On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 05:47:56 -0700 (PDT), kenneho wrote:
    > Hi.
    >

    > Our servers are running IPv4, so we thought we'd simply disable IPv6
    > in an attempt to prevent IPv6-based attacks.
    > Is it possible to disable IPv6, or must be use iptables to block all
    > IPV6 traffic?

    In /etc/modprobe.conf:

    alias net-pf-10 off
    alias ipv6 off

    In /etc/sysconfig/network:

    IPV6INIT=no

    You could also add:

    NOZEROCONF=yes

    to get rid of the pesky 169.254.0.0/16 route ;-)