listing of USB hardrive - Redhat

This is a discussion on listing of USB hardrive - Redhat ; hi, I have a new USB harddrive I need to format or more preciasely, to do a fdisk. Want to change the NTFS -> EXT3 For this, I need to invoke something like : fdisk /dev/sda2 BUT, on machines running ...

  1. listing of USB hardrive

    hi,

    I have a new USB harddrive
    I need to format or more preciasely, to do a fdisk. Want to change the
    NTFS -> EXT3

    For this, I need to invoke something like : fdisk /dev/sda2
    BUT, on machines running SATA drives, there are seen as sdax drives..
    Is there a possibility to see WHICH /dev/sdax, correspond to my specific
    harddrive ?

    I did : lsusb
    But doesn't show me anything interesting.... :-(

    Thanks

  2. Re: listing of USB hardrive

    Steve wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I have a new USB harddrive
    > I need to format or more preciasely, to do a fdisk. Want to change the
    > NTFS -> EXT3

    Formatting will change it to ext3. You would use fdisk to preserve an NTFS
    partition.

    > For this, I need to invoke something like : fdisk /dev/sda2
    > BUT, on machines running SATA drives, there are seen as sdax drives..
    > Is there a possibility to see WHICH /dev/sdax, correspond to my specific
    > harddrive ?

    > I did : lsusb
    > But doesn't show me anything interesting.... :-(

    cat /etc/mtab will show you the mounted devices. umount then fdisk away.

    The first entries in mtab _should_ be those from which the OS booted. However
    caution dictates turning the drive off and on. That will force it to be the last
    entry. Each time you do this the OS will increment the device designation as in
    /dev/sdc1 to /dev/sdd1. When you reboot it _should_ be the next available
    letter. You can see all of them with ls /dev/sd*

    --
    When Israel claims to have the most moral army in the world it is talking
    about Jewish morality.

  3. Re: listing of USB hardrive

    Steve wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > I have a new USB harddrive
    > I need to format or more preciasely, to do a fdisk. Want to change the
    > NTFS -> EXT3
    >
    > For this, I need to invoke something like : fdisk /dev/sda2
    > BUT, on machines running SATA drives, there are seen as sdax drives..
    > Is there a possibility to see WHICH /dev/sdax, correspond to my specific
    > harddrive ?
    >
    > I did : lsusb
    > But doesn't show me anything interesting.... :-(
    >
    > Thanks

    No, you will do something like "fdisk /dev/sda@

    Try doing "fdisk -l" to get a list of the drives and partitions, and "df" to
    get a list of what is already mounted where. Contemporary RedHat kernels do
    not contain NTFS drivers, but they're certainly available and compatible with
    RHEL. (CentOS publishes them under the "extras" repository, and they're pretty
    easy to use.)

  4. Re: listing of USB hardrive

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> hi,
    >>
    >> I have a new USB harddrive
    >> I need to format or more preciasely, to do a fdisk. Want to change the
    >> NTFS -> EXT3
    >>
    >> For this, I need to invoke something like : fdisk /dev/sda2
    >> BUT, on machines running SATA drives, there are seen as sdax drives..
    >> Is there a possibility to see WHICH /dev/sdax, correspond to my specific
    >> harddrive ?
    >>
    >> I did : lsusb
    >> But doesn't show me anything interesting.... :-(
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > No, you will do something like "fdisk /dev/sda@
    >
    > Try doing "fdisk -l" to get a list of the drives and partitions, and
    > "df" to get a list of what is already mounted where. Contemporary RedHat
    > kernels do not contain NTFS drivers, but they're certainly available and
    > compatible with RHEL. (CentOS publishes them under the "extras"
    > repository, and they're pretty easy to use.)

    Thanks...
    Effectively, fdisk -l, gave me better information !!
    Thanks

+ Reply to Thread