Newby question(s) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newby question(s) - Redhat ; I'm reasonably technically agile around Windows XP. I tried Redhat Linux a number of years ago. Decided to try Fedora 8. No problem with installation (much slicker than Micorsoft O/S's). Used pretty much a default configuration. Installed in a system ...

  1. Newby question(s)

    I'm reasonably technically agile around Windows XP.

    I tried Redhat Linux a number of years ago. Decided to try Fedora 8.

    No problem with installation (much slicker than Micorsoft O/S's). Used
    pretty much a default configuration. Installed in a system previously
    running XP Pro SP2.

    System is ASUS P5N-E SLI, Core 2 Duo 6600, Geforce 7950GT / 512mb, 2gb
    Corsair XM2, a fast Seagate ST3250410AS 250gb hard drive (previously
    running XP, all partitions removed prior to install).

    After Linux installed, it seemed much slower than XP. Programs loaded
    slower, seemed like the network throughput was slower, web page
    rendering was especially slower. After downloading and installing all
    the updates, there was no improvement in performance. System monitor
    shows plenty of memory available, CPU never breaks a sweat.

    So what am I doing wrong? How can I tune it for better performance? Or
    is this just a hardware set-up that isn't good for Fedora?

    (I had to put the system back up on XP and need to use it that way for a
    couple of weeks.)

    TIA,

    Chip

  2. Re: Newby question(s)

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:36:10 +0000, Chip Thomas wrote:

    > I'm reasonably technically agile around Windows XP.
    >
    > I tried Redhat Linux a number of years ago. Decided to try Fedora 8.
    >
    > No problem with installation (much slicker than Micorsoft O/S's). Used
    > pretty much a default configuration. Installed in a system previously
    > running XP Pro SP2.
    >
    > System is ASUS P5N-E SLI, Core 2 Duo 6600, Geforce 7950GT / 512mb, 2gb
    > Corsair XM2, a fast Seagate ST3250410AS 250gb hard drive (previously
    > running XP, all partitions removed prior to install).
    >
    > After Linux installed, it seemed much slower than XP. Programs loaded
    > slower, seemed like the network throughput was slower, web page
    > rendering was especially slower. After downloading and installing all
    > the updates, there was no improvement in performance. System monitor
    > shows plenty of memory available, CPU never breaks a sweat.
    >
    > So what am I doing wrong? How can I tune it for better performance? Or
    > is this just a hardware set-up that isn't good for Fedora?
    >
    > (I had to put the system back up on XP and need to use it that way for a
    > couple of weeks.)
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Chip

    It might just be a clock speed issue. There is a nifty little widget
    called CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor. If you haven't installed an applet
    yet here is the procedure,

    On one of your tool bars do.

    Right Click with the mouse which will cause a window to pop up.
    Scroll down the window until you get to CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor.
    Select it and hit the Add button.

    After you have installed it click on the little CPU icon. You will see a
    set of CPU Speeds that you can select plus OnDemand and Performance.
    OnDemand dynamically changes the CPU speed depending on load, Performance
    will set it to the fastest speed available. You can also select the
    fastest speed from the list.

    If you don't find CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor in that install screen
    then you will have to install it. To install any program you will want to
    use Yumex. The Redhat Add/Remove command is crap, Yumex is much better,
    If you don't have Yumex installed (it's not part of the default install)
    you will have to install it from the command line. To do that open up a
    shell (the Terminal is on the Applications/System Tool menu). In the
    shell do

    su
    yum -y install yumex

    After you have installed yumex you won't have to use the command line to
    do installs again, you will be able to use Yumex.

+ Reply to Thread