Newby question(s) - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newby question(s) - Redhat ; I'm reasonably technically agile around Windows XP. I tried Redhat Linux a number of years ago. Decided to try Fedora 8. No problem with installation (much slicker than Micorsoft O/S's). Used pretty much a default configuration. Installed in a system ...

  1. Newby question(s)

    I'm reasonably technically agile around Windows XP.

    I tried Redhat Linux a number of years ago. Decided to try Fedora 8.

    No problem with installation (much slicker than Micorsoft O/S's). Used
    pretty much a default configuration. Installed in a system previously
    running XP Pro SP2.

    System is ASUS P5N-E SLI, Core 2 Duo 6600, Geforce 7950GT / 512mb, 2gb
    Corsair XM2, a fast Seagate ST3250410AS 250gb hard drive (previously
    running XP, all partitions removed prior to install).

    After Linux installed, it seemed much slower than XP. Programs loaded
    slower, seemed like the network throughput was slower, web page
    rendering was especially slower. After downloading and installing all
    the updates, there was no improvement in performance. System monitor
    shows plenty of memory available, CPU never breaks a sweat.

    So what am I doing wrong? How can I tune it for better performance? Or
    is this just a hardware set-up that isn't good for Fedora?

    (I had to put the system back up on XP and need to use it that way for a
    couple of weeks.)

    TIA,

    Chip

  2. Re: Newby question(s)

    On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 00:36:31 GMT, Chip Thomas
    wrote:

    >Geforce 7950GT / 512mb

    This is probably your issue: that's an nVida card and needs the
    proprietary drivers for best results.

    --
    Joe Zeff
    The Guy With the Sideburns