Services questions.. - Redhat

This is a discussion on Services questions.. - Redhat ; Hi, On my server, I have many services, which are running.... I just discovered, that some of them, need to be started in a specific order Like, I need : 1) my Network cards running 2) my DHCP Server running ...

  1. Services questions..

    Hi,

    On my server, I have many services, which are running....

    I just discovered, that some of them, need to be started in a specific order
    Like, I need :
    1) my Network cards running
    2) my DHCP Server running

    I discover, ( don't know why)
    Eth0 start OK, then Eth1 seems NOT to start...
    -> So, my DHCP Server, attached to Eth1, can't start

    I need, into /etc/rc.d/rc.local

    Start again the Network ( /sbin/service networking restart)
    and
    Start again the DHCP Server....
    => Then that's OK

    (BTW, I saw many times, on different servers, that as soon as you have
    several Ethernet cards, seems to be difficult to start automatically ALL
    the cards, even if you selected to do it.)
    Anybody has seen this before ??

    Is there is a specific way, to start services in a different order ???
    Is there such an option ?

    Thanks and regards,

  2. Re: Services questions..

    In news:fsr14v$sa3$1$8300dec7@news.demon.co.uk,
    Steve typed:

    > (BTW, I saw many times, on different servers, that as soon as you have
    > several Ethernet cards, seems to be difficult to start automatically
    > ALL the cards, even if you selected to do it.)
    > Anybody has seen this before ??

    2 network cards start up fine here, and we've never had such problems as you
    describe on any server using multiple cards. One suspects that the manner in
    which you're configuring them is the nature of the problem.

    > Is there is a specific way, to start services in a different order ???
    > Is there such an option ?

    "man chkconfig" and pay attention to the RUNLEVEL FILES section,
    particularly the description of the chkconfig: line in the /etc/init.d/*
    scripts that determines the order in which scripts are started and stopped,
    then take a quick look at your scripts with:

    grep chkconfig: /etc/init.d/*

    which you pipe into "sort ..." to see what you want to see in the ordering.
    If you edit any changes then you'll need to run "chkconfig ..." in order to
    populate the /etc/rc[0-6].d directories with the necessary symlinks that
    will be numbered for the startup/shutdown order.

+ Reply to Thread