good software? - Redhat

This is a discussion on good software? - Redhat ; I just bought a new laptop and loaded RH. I am new to Linux but I have all the basic apps loaded -- Gimp, Evolution, etc. What are some really cool apps I can install that are not as obvious? ...

  1. good software?

    I just bought a new laptop and loaded RH. I am new to Linux but I have
    all the basic apps loaded -- Gimp, Evolution, etc. What are some
    really cool apps I can install that are not as obvious? I am looking
    for recent stuff. I am into graphics, music, gaming, recording, etc.

    - JB

  2. Re: good software?

    jbrandonbb@gmail.com wrote:

    > I just bought a new laptop and loaded RH. I am new to Linux but I have
    > all the basic apps loaded -- Gimp, Evolution, etc. What are some
    > really cool apps I can install that are not as obvious? I am looking
    > for recent stuff. I am into graphics, music, gaming, recording, etc.
    >
    > - JB

    Hello.

  3. Re: good software?

    google is your friend ... search for apps.

    The RH site is also listing apps.

    HTH

    jbrandonbb@gmail.com wrote:
    > I just bought a new laptop and loaded RH. I am new to Linux but I have
    > all the basic apps loaded -- Gimp, Evolution, etc. What are some
    > really cool apps I can install that are not as obvious? I am looking
    > for recent stuff. I am into graphics, music, gaming, recording, etc.
    >
    > - JB

  4. Re: good software?

    F8BOE wrote:
    > jbrandonbb@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought a new laptop and loaded RH. I am new to Linux but I have
    >> all the basic apps loaded -- Gimp, Evolution, etc. What are some
    >> really cool apps I can install that are not as obvious? I am looking
    >> for recent stuff. I am into graphics, music, gaming, recording, etc.
    >>
    >> - JB

    > Hello.

    I'd recommend looking for the EPEL and RPMforge repositories, and insatlling
    "epel-release" and "rpmforge-release" to gain access to their rather large
    sets of add-on components.

  5. Re: good software?

    pavlos wrote:
    > google is your friend ... search for apps.
    >
    > The RH site is also listing apps.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > jbrandonbb@gmail.com wrote:
    >> I just bought a new laptop and loaded RH. I am new to Linux but I have
    >> all the basic apps loaded -- Gimp, Evolution, etc. What are some
    >> really cool apps I can install that are not as obvious? I am looking
    >> for recent stuff. I am into graphics, music, gaming, recording, etc.
    >>
    >> - JB

    If you're going the search engine route, try http://rpm.pbone.net. It's much
    more organized. Grabbing RPM's from other distributions may take grabbing an
    SRPM and rebuilding them, but that's often safer than building from a tarball.

+ Reply to Thread