kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection - Redhat

This is a discussion on kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection - Redhat ; I'm having some difficulty initiating a RedHat kickstart install over a simple network connection consisting of a Linux laptop serving as the DHCP/TFTP server, a Proliant DL585 - the PXE client - and a Netgear switch. The PXE client gets ...

  1. kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection

    I'm having some difficulty initiating a RedHat kickstart install over
    a simple network connection consisting of a
    Linux laptop serving as the DHCP/TFTP server, a Proliant DL585 - the
    PXE client - and a Netgear switch. The PXE
    client gets an IP address from the DHCP server, loads vmlinuz and
    initrd.img and then begins executing
    /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default. It seems to get stuck trying to
    invoke kickstart, however. After loading all of
    the modules - including network drivers tg3 and e1000 - I get dropped
    into anaconda and prompted for network
    information. The console output at this point follows:

    Code:
    * load module set done
    * getting kickstart file
    * sending dhcp request through device eth2
    * waiting for link...
    * 0 seconds.
    * running dhcp for eth2
    * pump told us: No DHCP reply received
    This seems bizarre, since DHCP did get me to the /tftpboot directory
    on the DHCP server, but can't seem to find the Kickstart configuration
    file, which is served up via NFS.

    My dhcpd.conf looks like this:

    Code:
    allow booting;
    allow bootp;
    ddns-update-style none;
    deny unknown-clients;
    authoritative;

    subnet 192.168.37.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {

    group {
    filename "pxelinux.0";
    server-identifier 192.168.37.2;
    next-server 192.168.37.2;

    host clone {
    hardware ethernet 00:10:18:10:67:CA;
    fixed-address 192.168.37.3;
    }
    }
    }
    and /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:

    Code:
    say PXE kickstart configuration file
    default ks
    prompt 1
    timeout 300
    label linux
    kernel vmlinuz
    append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
    label ks
    kernel vmlinuz
    append ksdevice=eth2 ks=nfs:192.168.37.3:/tftpboot/ha2_net.ks.cfg
    initrd=initrd.img network=1

  2. Re: kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection

    extraspecialbitter wrote:
    > I'm having some difficulty initiating a RedHat kickstart install over
    > a simple network connection consisting of a
    > Linux laptop serving as the DHCP/TFTP server, a Proliant DL585 - the
    > PXE client - and a Netgear switch. The PXE
    > client gets an IP address from the DHCP server, loads vmlinuz and
    > initrd.img and then begins executing
    > /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default. It seems to get stuck trying to
    > invoke kickstart, however. After loading all of
    > the modules - including network drivers tg3 and e1000 - I get dropped
    > into anaconda and prompted for network
    > information. The console output at this point follows:

    Code:
    > * load module set done
    > * getting kickstart file
    > * sending dhcp request through device eth2
    > * waiting for link...
    > * 0 seconds.
    > * running dhcp for eth2
    > * pump told us: No DHCP reply received
    >

    > This seems bizarre, since DHCP did get me to the /tftpboot directory
    > on the DHCP server, but can't seem to find the Kickstart configuration
    > file, which is served up via NFS.
    >
    > My dhcpd.conf looks like this:

    Code:
    allow booting;
    > allow bootp;
    > ddns-update-style none;
    > deny unknown-clients;
    > authoritative;
    >
    > subnet 192.168.37.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    >
    > group {
    >         filename "pxelinux.0";
    >         server-identifier 192.168.37.2;
    >         next-server 192.168.37.2;
    >
    >         host clone {
    >                 hardware ethernet 00:10:18:10:67:CA;
    >                 fixed-address 192.168.37.3;
    >         }
    > }
    > }
    >

    > and /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:

    Code:
    say PXE kickstart configuration file
    > default ks
    > prompt 1
    > timeout 300
    > label linux
    >   kernel vmlinuz
    >   append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
    > label ks
    >   kernel vmlinuz
    >   append ksdevice=eth2 ks=nfs:192.168.37.3:/tftpboot/ha2_net.ks.cfg
    > initrd=initrd.img network=1

    Does your system have multiple network ports? The Anaconda installer and boot
    kernel sometimes get confused about which network port is which. If they're
    not all on the same subnet, and all configured with similar network setups,
    this can get nasty.

    Also, I don't recommend NFS for this until you've got it all straightened out.
    Mounting and unmounting NFS directories can get very nasty for both the client
    and the server: stick with HTTP for the short term.

  3. Re: kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection

    On Mar 22, 5:17 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > extraspecialbitter wrote:
    > > I'm having some difficulty initiating a RedHat kickstart install over
    > > a simple network connection consisting of a
    > > Linux laptop serving as the DHCP/TFTP server, a Proliant DL585 - the
    > > PXE client - and a Netgear switch. The PXE
    > > client gets an IP address from the DHCP server, loads vmlinuz and
    > > initrd.img and then begins executing
    > > /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default. It seems to get stuck trying to
    > > invoke kickstart, however. After loading all of
    > > the modules - including network drivers tg3 and e1000 - I get dropped
    > > into anaconda and prompted for network
    > > information. The console output at this point follows:

    Code:
    > > * load module set done
    > > * getting kickstart file
    > > * sending dhcp request through device eth2
    > > * waiting for link...
    > > * 0 seconds.
    > > * running dhcp for eth2
    > > * pump told us: No DHCP reply received
    > >

    > > This seems bizarre, since DHCP did get me to the /tftpboot directory
    > > on the DHCP server, but can't seem to find the Kickstart configuration
    > > file, which is served up via NFS.

    > > My dhcpd.conf looks like this:

    Code:
    allow booting;
    > > allow bootp;
    > > ddns-update-style none;
    > > deny unknown-clients;
    > > authoritative;
    Code:

    > > subnet 192.168.37.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
    >
    > > group {
    > >         filename "pxelinux.0";
    > >         server-identifier 192.168.37.2;
    > >         next-server 192.168.37.2;
    >
    > >         host clone {
    > >                 hardware ethernet 00:10:18:10:67:CA;
    > >                 fixed-address 192.168.37.3;
    > >         }
    > > }
    > > }
    > >

    > > and /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default:

    Code:
    say PXE kickstart configuration file
    > > default ks
    > > prompt 1
    > > timeout 300
    > > label linux
    > >   kernel vmlinuz
    > >   append initrd=initrd.img lang= devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=9216
    > > label ks
    > >   kernel vmlinuz
    > >   append ksdevice=eth2 ks=nfs:192.168.37.3:/tftpboot/ha2_net.ks.cfg
    > > initrd=initrd.img network=1
    > >

    > Does your system have multiple network ports? The Anaconda installer and boot
    > kernel sometimes get confused about which network port is which. If they're
    > not all on the same subnet, and all configured with similar network setups,
    > this can get nasty.
    >
    > Also, I don't recommend NFS for this until you've got it all straightened out.
    > Mounting and unmounting NFS directories can get very nasty for both the client
    > and the server: stick with HTTP for the short term.

    This particular DL585 has 5 network interfaces: 2 on the mother board
    and 3 on installed cards. I tried eth0 through eth4... and the last
    one worked! Odd, since in reality the port is eth2.

  4. Re: kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection

    extraspecialbitter wrote:

    > This particular DL585 has 5 network interfaces: 2 on the mother board
    > and 3 on installed cards. I tried eth0 through eth4... and the last
    > one worked! Odd, since in reality the port is eth2.

    AH-HAH!!!!

    The numbering of ethernet ports, without MAC addresses associated with them in
    /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth[number], is a sequence based on hard-loaded network
    modules in the kernel, dynamically loaded modules, some oddnesses of
    numbering, and which eye of which newt the witch dropped in the kernel brewing
    pot first.

    There are some ways to manipulate this in yourkickstart device selection
    setups: I'm glad you were able to work it out for your needs.

  5. Re: kickstart not finding configuration file over simple networkconnection

    On Mar 24, 1:13 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > extraspecialbitter wrote:
    > > This particular DL585 has 5 network interfaces: 2 on the mother board
    > > and 3 on installed cards. I tried eth0 through eth4... and the last
    > > one worked! Odd, since in reality the port is eth2.

    > AH-HAH!!!!
    >
    > The numbering of ethernet ports, without MAC addresses associated with them in
    > /etc/sysconfig/ifcfg-eth[number], is a sequence based on hard-loaded network
    > modules in the kernel, dynamically loaded modules, some oddnesses of
    > numbering, and which eye of which newt the witch dropped in the kernel brewing
    > pot first.
    >
    > There are some ways to manipulate this in yourkickstart device selection
    > setups: I'm glad you were able to work it out for your needs.

    Thanks again for the help. I was just a few hours away from
    sacrificing a goat...

    PDM

+ Reply to Thread