RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; bonding eth0/1 fails - Redhat

This is a discussion on RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; bonding eth0/1 fails - Redhat ; Hi, I have a HP DL380 with eth0 and eth1 on board. Both are bonded into bond0 onto which a vlan is defined. Only the bond0.[vlan] interface has an IP number. After an update to update 9, the bond0 and ...

  1. RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; bonding eth0/1 fails

    Hi,

    I have a HP DL380 with eth0 and eth1 on board. Both are bonded into
    bond0 onto which a vlan is defined. Only the bond0.[vlan] interface
    has an IP number. After an update to update 9, the bond0 and bond0.
    [vlan] interfaces come up nicely when starting the network. The
    underlying eth0 and eth1 however don't. ifconfig does not show them,
    ifconfig -a does.
    Judging from dmesg they are recognized without trouble, and they
    appear in /proc/dev/net. No apparent error messages in any log.

    Putting the vlan directly on eth1 does work and does give a
    connection, so the interface itself seems to be ok.

    Anyone else have (had) trouble with this?

    RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; Proliant Support Pack 7.70.

  2. Re: RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; bonding eth0/1 fails

    janw0000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a HP DL380 with eth0 and eth1 on board. Both are bonded into
    > bond0 onto which a vlan is defined. Only the bond0.[vlan] interface
    > has an IP number. After an update to update 9, the bond0 and bond0.
    > [vlan] interfaces come up nicely when starting the network. The
    > underlying eth0 and eth1 however don't. ifconfig does not show them,
    > ifconfig -a does.

    How are you doing the bonding, by the way? I've had some difficulty decoding
    the setups for RHEL 4 and 5, and gotten poor support from HP, Dell, or RedHat
    on just what needs to be tweaked. I'd love to see it integrated into the
    network configuraiton tools!

    RHEL 3 is moribund. It's a 2.4 Linux kernel, and it's wildly out of date. You
    should probably be hopping to RHEL 5 or CentOS 5, just to get better network
    driver support. DL380's have Broadcom chipsets, right? Getting those right has
    been serious work for some very talented developers, and you're unlikely to
    see those backported and fully integrated.

    Can you just boot with your old kernel and see what happens?

    > Judging from dmesg they are recognized without trouble, and they
    > appear in /proc/dev/net. No apparent error messages in any log.
    >
    > Putting the vlan directly on eth1 does work and does give a
    > connection, so the interface itself seems to be ok.
    >
    > Anyone else have (had) trouble with this?
    >
    > RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; Proliant Support Pack 7.70.

  3. Re: RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; bonding eth0/1 fails

    On Mar 21, 5:07*pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > How are you doing the bonding, by the way? I've had some difficulty decoding
    > the setups for RHEL 4 and 5, and gotten poor support from HP, Dell, or RedHat
    > on just what needs to be tweaked. I'd love to see it integrated into the
    > network configuraiton tools!

    Both eth's:
    DEVICE=eth[x]
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    MASTER=bond0
    SLAVE=yes
    USERCTL=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet

    Bond0:
    DEVICE=bond0
    ONBOOT=yes
    BOOTPROTO=none
    USERCTL=yes

    And on top of that a bond0.[Vlan] with the actual IP address etc...

    > RHEL 3 is moribund. It's a 2.4 Linux kernel, and it's wildly out of date.

    Yes I know, but customer requires RHEL 3

    > Can you just boot with your old kernel and see what happens?

    No newer kernel, was not updated. PSP 7.70 does not officially support
    the latest RHEL 3 kernel version (judging from the installation
    document)

    I've used this setup with 12 other systems without trouble....
    Driver bcm5700.o was not changed, but install of PSP 7.70 did create a
    new tg3.o driver (neither makes any difference)

  4. Re: RHEL 3 ES; update 9; kernel 2.4.21-38.EL; bonding eth0/1 fails

    janw0000@yahoo.com wrote:
    > On Mar 21, 5:07 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> How are you doing the bonding, by the way? I've had some difficulty decoding
    >> the setups for RHEL 4 and 5, and gotten poor support from HP, Dell, or RedHat
    >> on just what needs to be tweaked. I'd love to see it integrated into the
    >> network configuraiton tools!

    > Both eth's:
    > DEVICE=eth[x]
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > BOOTPROTO=none
    > MASTER=bond0
    > SLAVE=yes
    > USERCTL=yes
    > TYPE=Ethernet
    >
    > Bond0:
    > DEVICE=bond0
    > ONBOOT=yes
    > BOOTPROTO=none
    > USERCTL=yes
    >
    > And on top of that a bond0.[Vlan] with the actual IP address etc...
    >
    >> RHEL 3 is moribund. It's a 2.4 Linux kernel, and it's wildly out of date.

    > Yes I know, but customer requires RHEL 3
    >
    >> Can you just boot with your old kernel and see what happens?

    > No newer kernel, was not updated. PSP 7.70 does not officially support
    > the latest RHEL 3 kernel version (judging from the installation
    > document)
    >
    > I've used this setup with 12 other systems without trouble....
    > Driver bcm5700.o was not changed, but install of PSP 7.70 did create a
    > new tg3.o driver (neither makes any difference)

    OK. Clients unwilling or unable to update are always an issue.

    Maybe you *should* update the kernel? Installing a stack of updates, but
    leaving out one of them, could also be an issue.

+ Reply to Thread