Anybody is using ProFTPD ? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Anybody is using ProFTPD ? - Redhat ; Hi, I just wish to get an virtualhost FTP server, but make sure that this is Anonymous FTP. I don't want that Login and Password are requested Is that possible ? All the tests I made, asked for Login and ...

  1. Anybody is using ProFTPD ?

    Hi,

    I just wish to get an virtualhost FTP server, but make sure that this is
    Anonymous FTP. I don't want that Login and Password are requested

    Is that possible ?

    All the tests I made, asked for Login and Password....

    Thanks

  2. Re: Anybody is using ProFTPD ?

    Steve wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I just wish to get an virtualhost FTP server, but make sure that this is
    > Anonymous FTP. I don't want that Login and Password are requested
    >
    > Is that possible ?
    >
    > All the tests I made, asked for Login and Password....
    >
    > Thanks

    Every FTP server requires some kind of login, typically at least "anonymous"
    with a black password or expecting the user's email address as a courtesy for
    the password. Various FTP GUI's simply provide it for you automatically as
    "anonymous".

    Now, I prefer vsftpd to ProFTPD. It's lighter weight and easier to configure.
    Both are vastly, vastly better whan the old wu-ftpd used early in my career.

  3. Re: Anybody is using ProFTPD ?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I just wish to get an virtualhost FTP server, but make sure that this is
    >> Anonymous FTP. I don't want that Login and Password are requested
    >>
    >> Is that possible ?
    >>
    >> All the tests I made, asked for Login and Password....
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Every FTP server requires some kind of login, typically at least
    > "anonymous" with a black password or expecting the user's email address
    > as a courtesy for the password. Various FTP GUI's simply provide it for
    > you automatically as "anonymous".
    >
    > Now, I prefer vsftpd to ProFTPD. It's lighter weight and easier to
    > configure. Both are vastly, vastly better whan the old wu-ftpd used
    > early in my career.

    Thanks for your reply,

    Up to now, I was using Vsftpd, which was fine, as Anonymous... no need
    of any password, login.... but this is more complicate to use, when you
    are using several FTP server on the same machine (Virtualhost, like I
    have with me Apache)
    I thought that ProFTP would help me to associate each website, with
    their own FTP site... but now, I have this login password.. whcih is
    annoying. Do you really beleive that everybody will know what to enter ?
    Do you think that people won't be discouraged to get into ?

    Regards,

  4. Re: Anybody is using ProFTPD ?

    Steve wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Steve wrote:
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I just wish to get an virtualhost FTP server, but make sure that this is
    >>> Anonymous FTP. I don't want that Login and Password are requested
    >>>
    >>> Is that possible ?
    >>>
    >>> All the tests I made, asked for Login and Password....
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Every FTP server requires some kind of login, typically at least
    >> "anonymous" with a black password or expecting the user's email address
    >> as a courtesy for the password. Various FTP GUI's simply provide it for
    >> you automatically as "anonymous".
    >>
    >> Now, I prefer vsftpd to ProFTPD. It's lighter weight and easier to
    >> configure. Both are vastly, vastly better whan the old wu-ftpd used
    >> early in my career.

    > Thanks for your reply,
    >
    > Up to now, I was using Vsftpd, which was fine, as Anonymous... no need
    > of any password, login.... but this is more complicate to use, when you
    > are using several FTP server on the same machine (Virtualhost, like I
    > have with me Apache)

    So, use Apache! Uploads can be done with WebDAV/HTTPS, which is vastly more
    secure and noticeably more supportable than FPT upload.

    > I thought that ProFTP would help me to associate each website, with
    > their own FTP site... but now, I have this login password.. whcih is
    > annoying. Do you really beleive that everybody will know what to enter ?
    > Do you think that people won't be discouraged to get into ?

    Can you get multiple IP addresses, rather than hostname based virtual hosting?
    I find it a lot easier to keep the virtual sites separated this way.

  5. Re: Anybody is using ProFTPD ?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >>> Every FTP server requires some kind of login, typically at least
    >>> "anonymous" with a black password or expecting the user's email address
    >>> as a courtesy for the password. Various FTP GUI's simply provide it for
    >>> you automatically as "anonymous".
    >>>
    >>> Now, I prefer vsftpd to ProFTPD. It's lighter weight and easier to
    >>> configure. Both are vastly, vastly better whan the old wu-ftpd used
    >>> early in my career.

    >> Thanks for your reply,
    >>
    >> Up to now, I was using Vsftpd, which was fine, as Anonymous... no need
    >> of any password, login.... but this is more complicate to use, when you
    >> are using several FTP server on the same machine (Virtualhost, like I
    >> have with me Apache)

    > So, use Apache! Uploads can be done with WebDAV/HTTPS, which is vastly
    > more secure and noticeably more supportable than FPT upload.
    >
    >> I thought that ProFTP would help me to associate each website, with
    >> their own FTP site... but now, I have this login password.. whcih is
    >> annoying. Do you really beleive that everybody will know what to enter ?
    >> Do you think that people won't be discouraged to get into ?

    > Can you get multiple IP addresses, rather than hostname based virtual
    > hosting? I find it a lot easier to keep the virtual sites separated this
    > way.

    Yes I suppose that it would be the best to use Apache... :-(

    OK THanks !

+ Reply to Thread