kde or Gnome? - Redhat

This is a discussion on kde or Gnome? - Redhat ; hello,I'm a freshman of linux. I'm wondering which is more fit for developer ,kde or Gnome? thanks for any advice...

  1. kde or Gnome?

    hello,I'm a freshman of linux.

    I'm wondering which is more fit for developer ,kde or Gnome?

    thanks for any advice

  2. Re: kde or Gnome?

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:22:10 +0800, Jason Yang wrote:

    > hello,I'm a freshman of linux.
    >
    > I'm wondering which is more fit for developer ,kde or Gnome?
    >
    > thanks for any advice

    That is flamewar fodder. Try both of them, and see which one suits your
    personal tastes better.

  3. Re: kde or Gnome?

    Jason Yang wrote:
    > hello,I'm a freshman of linux.

    > I'm wondering which is more fit for developer ,kde or Gnome?

    If you are a developer there is no reason you would ask that question. You care
    only if an editor that fits your preferences is available on linux. The tools
    for whatever you are developing are independent of the desktop -- assuming you
    do not want to try developing a gnome app on kde or vice versa.

    The difference between the two desktops is meaningless compared to your comfort
    with the one you like. Myself coming direct from Win98 release 2 I tried Gnome
    first but preferred KDE. This was in the as-installed default versions. I found
    the customization more obvious. A few months ago I was playing around with Gnome
    and starting getting the hang of customizing it but decided, why bother?

    If your machine is underpowered use one of the other desktops as g and k do not
    spare the resources to do the job. If your machine is over 2GHz and 256M RAM you
    probably won't see much gain in a lesser featured desktop.

    As to a familiar editor, I get strange looks when I say Joe in JSTAR --
    wordstar -- configuration but I like it even for software development and povray
    scripts. This is a terminal application. There are also X editor apps. I have
    yet to find an app designed for gnome that will not work on kde. I presume a few
    of the cute things don't work but I have never found a functional failing. (The
    borders may not have dancing gnomes or whatever but the program does everything
    the menus claim it will do.)

    But DO NOT choose at installation time. Install both deskstops so that apps for
    the other will work on the one you choose to use. You must have both libraries.
    For some reason I like gftp and that requires the gnome libs to run and it runs
    fine under KDE.

    When you boot up the graphics login screen will give you a choice of which
    desktop and how to set the default. It is clear on Fed 6 and 8. As I remember on
    2 and maybe 4 it was a very small font option. But you should always install the
    latest release regardless of any other consideration including cost.

    --
    Surviving anything, even a holocaust, cannot elevate a devil to sainthood.
    Mere survival does not grant moral authority.

  4. Re: kde or Gnome?

    Thank you very much~

    "Jason Yang" ??????:frsg77$dim$1@news.cn99.com...
    > hello,I'm a freshman of linux.
    >
    > I'm wondering which is more fit for developer ,kde or Gnome?
    >
    > thanks for any advice

+ Reply to Thread