Offline update - Redhat

This is a discussion on Offline update - Redhat ; How to perform offline update of RHEL 5 for which I have license but server is isolated and not able to go out on the web to RHN? I was thinking about few scenarious: a) wait for RHEL5 Ux and ...

  1. Offline update

    How to perform offline update of RHEL 5 for which I have license but
    server is isolated and not able to go out on the web to RHN?

    I was thinking about few scenarious:
    a) wait for RHEL5 Ux and boot from new CD than do the upgrade and do
    so on for every Uxy
    b) get all rmps from new Uxy source then do the Uvh except kernel
    (ivh)
    c) put all rpm from Uxy CDs to local disk than do up2date or yum
    redirected to local repository
    d) register another server that can go out on the net to RHN, perform
    upgrade on it than collect exactly the same packages and do the
    upgrade on my isolated server
    e)...

    Can enyone help me about that scenario?

    Tnx.

  2. Re: Offline update

    Bojan Mihevc wrote:
    > How to perform offline update of RHEL 5 for which I have license but
    > server is isolated and not able to go out on the web to RHN?

    This has been raised as a bug on several occasions. You've got 3 easy options.

    *) Set up an authorized proxy that can reach out to RedHat's download sites.
    *) Use another host with external access as a RHEL mirror, using "reposync" to
    mirror the entire download repository channels. This is what I do, since I use
    "mock" from CentOS (and also supported under Fedora) to build RPM's in a
    managed environment.
    *) Install CentOS, which has a far more reliable software downlod and
    repository mirroring capability and has fundamental software compatibility
    with RHEL.

    The software channels and their associated DRM are one of the most irritating
    aspects of RHEL: even the recent "yum-rhn-plugin" in RHEL 5 is actually
    "up2date", wearing granny's nightgown, and ignores basic features of yum such
    as channel-specific configuration files to provide channel-specific "exclude"
    or "prefer" or "protect" options.

    > I was thinking about few scenarious:
    > a) wait for RHEL5 Ux and boot from new CD than do the upgrade and do
    > so on for every Uxy
    > b) get all rmps from new Uxy source then do the Uvh except kernel
    > (ivh)

    Do *NOT* use "rpm -Uvh". Seriously, you'll bite yourself in the naughty bits
    by installing conflicting versions, especially with i386 and i686 or x86_64
    packages.

    > c) put all rpm from Uxy CDs to local disk than do up2date or yum
    > redirected to local repository
    > d) register another server that can go out on the net to RHN, perform
    > upgrade on it than collect exactly the same packages and do the
    > upgrade on my isolated server
    > e)...
    >
    > Can enyone help me about that scenario?
    >
    > Tnx.

    See above. The reposync tool (I beileve from yum-utils?) has just the features
    you need to create a local repository. If you like, I'll send you a copy of
    the "Makefile" I use to manage the repos, since reposync gets screwed by
    partially downloaded files and doesn't play well if you run two reposync's of
    the same repository at the same time, and it doesn't run download the repodata.

  3. Re: Offline update

    On 16 ožu, 19:16, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Bojan Mihevc wrote:
    > > How to perform offline update of RHEL 5 for which I have license but
    > > server is isolated and not able to go out on the web to RHN?

    CUT

    How about this. I have RHEL 5.1 beta and i need to have 5.1 stable.

    I will try to boot from my new 5.1 stable media and do "linux
    upgradeany" boot optinon at boot screen.

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ade-begin.html
    This is an idea.

  4. Re: Offline update

    Bojan Mihevc wrote:
    > On 16 ožu, 19:16, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Bojan Mihevc wrote:
    >>> How to perform offline update of RHEL 5 for which I have license but
    >>> server is isolated and not able to go out on the web to RHN?

    > CUT
    >
    > How about this. I have RHEL 5.1 beta and i need to have 5.1 stable.
    >
    > I will try to boot from my new 5.1 stable media and do "linux
    > upgradeany" boot optinon at boot screen.
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...ade-begin.html
    > This is an idea.

    RHEL 5.1 stable, with updates, is *not* the same thing as RHEL 5.1 beta. What
    are you attempting to achieve?

  5. Re: Offline update

    On 17 ožu, 15:04, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > RHEL 5.1 stable, with updates, is *not* the same thing as RHEL 5.1 beta. What
    > are you attempting to achieve?

    On server is installed RHEL5 beta.
    I have media RHEL 5.1 and want to upgrade installed server to this
    level.

+ Reply to Thread