Best practice for disaster recovery of RHEL servers using Networker - Redhat

This is a discussion on Best practice for disaster recovery of RHEL servers using Networker - Redhat ; Hi. We're running Networker to back up our RHEL 4/5 servers, and I need a disaster recovery plan. Is there a best practice document I should read on the subject? In case of disaster or security breach I'll need to ...

  1. Best practice for disaster recovery of RHEL servers using Networker

    Hi.

    We're running Networker to back up our RHEL 4/5 servers, and I need a
    disaster recovery plan. Is there a best practice document I should
    read on the subject?

    In case of disaster or security breach I'll need to replace the server
    with a new one. With regards to this, I have a few questions:
    1) Is there a way to boot the new server and restore files from
    backup, without installing the OS?
    2) How can I make sure that every filesystem (typically LVM) are
    restored correctly?
    3) Must I manually create partitions and a boot loader, or is there a
    way to get NetWorker perform this automatically?

    Also, if you know of any good readings out there please let me know.

    Regards,

    kenneho

  2. Re: Best practice for disaster recovery of RHEL servers usingNetworker

    On 14 Mrz., 17:48, kenneho wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > We're running Networker to back up our RHEL 4/5 servers, and I need a
    > disaster recovery plan. Is there a best practice document I should
    > read on the subject?
    >
    > In case of disaster or security breach I'll need to replace the server
    > with a new one. With regards to this, I have a few questions:
    > 1) Is there a way to boot the new server and restore files from
    > backup, without installing the OS?
    > 2) How can I make sure that every filesystem (typically LVM) are
    > restored correctly?
    > 3) Must I manually create partitions and a boot loader, or is there a
    > way to get NetWorker perform this automatically?
    >
    > Also, if you know of any good readings out there please let me know.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > kenneho

    Try to Use MindiMondo http://www.mondorescue.org/

    It works fine RHEL4/5 on x86_64 especcialy LVM is supported
    I do no another well Solution, Please tell me if you find one !!!

    Regards sepp

  3. Re: Best practice for disaster recovery of RHEL servers using Networker

    josef.tiffner@aon.at wrote:
    > On 14 Mrz., 17:48, kenneho wrote:
    >> Hi.
    >>
    >> We're running Networker to back up our RHEL 4/5 servers, and I need a
    >> disaster recovery plan. Is there a best practice document I should
    >> read on the subject?
    >>
    >> In case of disaster or security breach I'll need to replace the server
    >> with a new one. With regards to this, I have a few questions:
    >> 1) Is there a way to boot the new server and restore files from
    >> backup, without installing the OS?
    >> 2) How can I make sure that every filesystem (typically LVM) are
    >> restored correctly?
    >> 3) Must I manually create partitions and a boot loader, or is there a
    >> way to get NetWorker perform this automatically?
    >>
    >> Also, if you know of any good readings out there please let me know.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> kenneho

    > Try to Use MindiMondo http://www.mondorescue.org/
    >
    > It works fine RHEL4/5 on x86_64 especcialy LVM is supported
    > I do no another well Solution, Please tell me if you find one !!!
    >
    > Regards sepp

    Brings to mine a question - Does anyone know if there is a Linux
    equivalent to AIX's 'mksysb'? I kind of like that one piece of AIX, it
    makes a lot of sense. I have not seen anything of the sort for Linux,
    and am rather surprised by it!

    JR.

    --

    Bill will have to take Linux from my cold, dead flippers.

    -Tux.

+ Reply to Thread