"Package Group Selection" full list of RPMs in each group? - Redhat

This is a discussion on "Package Group Selection" full list of RPMs in each group? - Redhat ; Hi, During the RHEL5 install you are presented with a "Package Group Selection" screen which lists as follows: Desktop Environments Applications Development Servers Base System Virtualization Languages Each of threse is then split up into sub-packages. Is there any documentation ...

  1. "Package Group Selection" full list of RPMs in each group?

    Hi,

    During the RHEL5 install you are presented with a "Package Group
    Selection" screen which lists as follows:

    Desktop Environments
    Applications
    Development
    Servers
    Base System
    Virtualization
    Languages

    Each of threse is then split up into sub-packages.

    Is there any documentation anywhere that lists each RPM per heading so
    I can properly plan my install? At the moment I'm trying to do a
    lighter install but can't see what is really been installed under
    these headings.

    Many thanks,
    Pete.

  2. Re: "Package Group Selection" full list of RPMs in each group?

    peterharding@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > During the RHEL5 install you are presented with a "Package Group
    > Selection" screen which lists as follows:
    >
    > Desktop Environments
    > Applications
    > Development
    > Servers
    > Base System
    > Virtualization
    > Languages
    >
    > Each of threse is then split up into sub-packages.
    >
    > Is there any documentation anywhere that lists each RPM per heading so
    > I can properly plan my install? At the moment I'm trying to do a
    > lighter install but can't see what is really been installed under
    > these headings.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Pete.

    No. The "anaconda" kickstart system is amazingly contorted in this sense, and
    as of RHEL 5, they threw out their "minimal" installation option. Even that
    minimal install had a bunch of effectively useless crap for most installations
    on it, such as PCMCIA and bluetooth and ppp, which are pointless on servers or
    even your average desktop.

    You might have some success taking apart the anaconda source code, but if you
    want complete control, I suggest experimenting with a virtualized installation
    system so you can burn new images with different settings very quickly for
    comparison.

  3. Re: "Package Group Selection" full list of RPMs in each group?

    On 7 Mar, 19:01, peterhard...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > During the RHEL5 install you are presented with a "Package Group
    > Selection" screen which lists as follows:
    >
    > Desktop Environments
    > Applications
    > Development
    > Servers
    > Base System
    > Virtualization
    > Languages
    >
    > Each of threse is then split up into sub-packages.
    >
    > Is there any documentation anywhere that lists each RPM per heading so
    > I can properly plan my install? At the moment I'm trying to do a
    > lighter install but can't see what is really been installed under
    > these headings.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Pete.

    Hello! There is a Repo metadata file containing all those packages
    bundled with each group, my tip is that you try to locate and dissect
    that file, because it contains all the stuff you're after

    Regards
    Petter

+ Reply to Thread