Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux - Redhat

This is a discussion on Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux - Redhat ; Gurus, I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving the locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of ...

  1. Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    Gurus,

    I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm a
    Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving the
    locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them renaming
    tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel" without
    leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things didn't bother
    me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they are starting to.

    Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very close to
    ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.

    My worries are as follows:

    1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    discovering it's true power.
    2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what to do
    about that.
    3) Anything else I need to worry about?

    Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up Linux
    skills.

    --
    Spin

  2. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.comp.linux.]

    On 2008-03-06, Spin wrote:

    > I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm a
    > Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving the
    > locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them renaming
    > tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel" without
    > leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things didn't bother
    > me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they are starting to.

    I share your feelings as I approach 50 :-). BTW my apologies for
    setting the followup header as I cordially dislike crossposting
    without such a setting.

    > Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very close to
    > ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.

    I suspect this means you will be runing Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. If you
    hold off a little it will come preinstalled with Hardy Heron LTS. Or
    better still download a few distros and install them yourself.

    > 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    > discovering it's true power.

    Yes you will, a little patience will help you with this one :-)

    > 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    > obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what to do
    > about that.

    You could setup a dual boot computer: Linux /and/ windows.

    > 3) Anything else I need to worry about?

    In general I am sure there are many things you can worry about.
    Remember 'the longest journey starts with a single step'. So:

    http://distrowatch.com/

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

  3. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 00:00:02 -0500, "James Lehman" wrote:

    >I have been using both MS since early DOS and Linux since 1995.
    >
    >I think the most important difference between the two is that all MS OSes
    >are for a PC. That means "Personal Computer". That might seem like it's too
    >obvious, but what does it mean?

    *snip*

    While all this is true, it makes moving to Linux sound like a big fuzz and
    hard to do operation where you need to have at least 10cm thick UNIX beard to
    begin with or you will fail miserably... It's not, Linux as a desktop OS is
    and easy thing to take into use. Why start with OS X, why not one of the great
    desktop top distributions of Linux - for beginners let's just say Ubuntu...
    Apple and Linux started from different ends but they are coming closer to each
    other all the time - maintaining the good sides of what they began with and
    adding good sides from the other direction but I'd say that Ubuntu is a better
    starting ground for learning Linux/UNIX than Mac OS X.

    --
    ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    **/ email: robsku@fiveam.NO-SPAM.org, <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**

  4. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    wrote:

    > >I have been using both MS since early DOS and Linux since 1995.
    > >
    > >I think the most important difference between the two is that all MS OSes
    > >are for a PC. That means "Personal Computer". That might seem like it's

    too
    > >obvious, but what does it mean?

    > *snip*
    >
    > While all this is true, it makes moving to Linux sound like a big fuzz and
    > hard to do operation where you need to have at least 10cm thick UNIX beard

    > begin with or you will fail miserably... It's not, Linux as a desktop OS

    is
    > and easy thing to take into use. Why start with OS X, why not one of the

    great
    > desktop top distributions of Linux - for beginners let's just say

    Ubuntu...
    > Apple and Linux started from different ends but they are coming closer to

    each
    > other all the time - maintaining the good sides of what they began with

    and
    > adding good sides from the other direction but I'd say that Ubuntu is a

    better
    > starting ground for learning Linux/UNIX than Mac OS X.
    >
    > --
    > ***/--- Sir Robin (aka Jani Saksa) Bi-Sex and proud of it! ---\***
    > **/ email: robsku@fiveam.NO-SPAM.org, <*> Reg. Linux user #290577 \**
    > *| Me, Drugs, DooM, Photos, Writings... http://soul.fiveam.org/robsku |*
    > **\--- GSM/SMS: +358 44 927 3992 ---/**
    > "I like the trees, you know? I like the way that the trees are on

    mountains,
    > all the different... the way the trees are."

    The easies way to learn anything about Linux/UNIX is to get one of the Live
    CD distros. The only problems with them are that they don't let you easily
    create a persistant history, and the way some of them are structured is very
    different than what you get with a hard drive installation.

    James. )

  5. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    "Spin" wrote in message
    > Gurus,
    >
    > I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm a
    > Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving the
    > locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them

    renaming
    > tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel" without
    > leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things didn't bother
    > me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they are starting to.
    >
    > Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very close

    > ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.
    >
    > My worries are as follows:
    >
    > 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    > discovering it's true power.
    > 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    > obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what to

    do
    > about that.
    > 3) Anything else I need to worry about?
    >
    > Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up Linux
    > skills.

    I've been dual booting for years and I suggest you do the same.
    I seriously doubt if the day will come where I use either OS exclusively.

    Many MS apps will run in Linux using WINE.
    (I don't know if Office will run in WINE or not)

    Anyway, that said...it is fairly easy to get newer versions of Windows
    back to the behavior and look of previous operating systems.

    I did a test install of Vista and turned the whole thing back to the classic
    GUI that win2k uses.
    (BTW: I always set both XP and Vista to "best performance" in the control
    panel)

    If someone were using either my Win2k, XP or Vista machine,
    they could barely tell the difference

    here is my Vista desktop

    http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/vista.jpg

    it looks nearly identical to my Win2k desktop.

    all the tools in the control panel are in the same place as Win2k's...
    though of course Vista has a few more

  6. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 00:00:02 -0500, James Lehman wrote:

    > "Spin" wrote in message
    >> Gurus,
    >>
    >> I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm
    >> a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving
    >> the locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them

    > renaming
    >> tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel"
    >> without leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things
    >> didn't bother me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they
    >> are starting to.
    >>
    >> Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very
    >> close

    >> ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.
    >>
    >> My worries are as follows:
    >>
    >> 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    >> discovering it's true power.
    >> 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    >> obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what

    > do
    >> about that.
    >> 3) Anything else I need to worry about?
    >>
    >> Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up
    >> Linux skills.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Spin
    >>

    > I have been using both MS since early DOS and Linux since 1995.
    >
    > I think the most important difference between the two is that all MS
    > OSes are for a PC. That means "Personal Computer". That might seem like
    > it's too obvious, but what does it mean?
    >
    > Linux is a clone of UNIX; a mainframe OS. UNIX has been around since
    > about 1970. It use to only run on multi-million dollar machines that
    > took up the whole third floor of a building and had many terminals all
    > over the place. It knew (knows) how to deal with thousands of different
    > users all at the same time, protecting each user from the others, itself
    > from its users and itself from other computers like itself, to which it
    > might be connected.

    Technically, Linux is not a UNIX clone - it is a work-alike. It was
    written from scratch and inspired by minix.

  7. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    On Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:10:06 -0500, Spin wrote:

    > Gurus,
    >
    > I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm
    > a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving
    > the locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them
    > renaming tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and
    > feel" without leaving the option to go back to the old look. These
    > things didn't bother me so much in my younger days but as I get older,
    > they are starting to.
    >
    > Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very
    > close to ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.
    >
    > My worries are as follows:
    >
    > 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    > discovering it's true power.

    You may. I think I installed, blew away, and re-installed my first Linux
    box 4 or 5 times. Linux was considerably more immature at the time, as
    was I. Keep in mind that every new version of Windows employs more and
    more *nix standard tools so even if you stick with Windows you're going to
    have to learn it anyway. Linux is a POSIX OS. As is Solaris, BSD, AIX,
    HPUX, OSX, etc... Windows is the only non-POSIX mainstream OS on the
    market at this point. So know that as you learn Linux you're also learning
    a great deal about dozens of other OSs.

    > 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    > obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what
    > to do about that.

    I have no problems manipulating MS Office files with Open Office.

    > 3) Anything else I need to worry about?

    Yes. Linux won't treat you like an idiot. A lot of distros are putting in
    Windows-like safeguards for some of the more dangerous tools but most
    aren't going to ask you "Do you really want to do this?"... they will just
    do what you ask them to do. So if you run rm -rf * in your root directory
    don't be surprised when your drive is wiped clean.

    > Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up
    > Linux skills.

    You should maintain your Windows skill set... the cool thing is that
    learning Linux will enhance your Windows skill set because much of what
    Windows hides behind its user interface is right out in the open under a
    *nix system.

    --
    I told you this was going to happen.

  8. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    you can install office using wine

    --
    If you cannot read what I write do not blame me, I am dyslexic. Have
    consideration before insulting me because you too could be disabled

    Thank you

    Andrew Crawford

    "Spin" wrote in message
    > Gurus,
    >
    > I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm a
    > Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving the
    > locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them
    > renaming tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel"
    > without leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things
    > didn't bother me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they are
    > starting to.
    >
    > Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very close
    > to ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.
    >
    > My worries are as follows:
    >
    > 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    > discovering it's true power.
    > 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    > obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what to
    > do about that.
    > 3) Anything else I need to worry about?
    >
    > Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up Linux
    > skills.
    >
    > --
    > Spin

  9. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    Andrew Crawford wrote:
    > you can install office using wine

    Andrew,

    How heavy is your Office PC?

    If wine does not work, run WinXP (or a Win2kx server) in a VMware or XEN
    virtual machine to run the Windows tools you need.

    Kind regards,

    Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  10. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    philo wrote:

    > "Spin" wrote in message
    >> Gurus,
    >>
    >> I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm a
    >> Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving the
    >> locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them

    > renaming
    >> tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel" without
    >> leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things didn't
    >> bother me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they are
    >> starting to.
    >>
    >> Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very close

    >> ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.
    >>
    >> My worries are as follows:
    >>
    >> 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    >> discovering it's true power.
    >> 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    >> obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what to

    > do
    >> about that.
    >> 3) Anything else I need to worry about?
    >>
    >> Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up Linux
    >> skills.
    >>

    > I've been dual booting for years and I suggest you do the same.
    > I seriously doubt if the day will come where I use either OS exclusively.
    >
    > Many MS apps will run in Linux using WINE.
    > (I don't know if Office will run in WINE or not)

    Yes it will if you do not use the latest/greatest version that comes out
    twice a year. It will also run Quickbooks, but again not the
    latest/greatest version. And Flight Navigator. And....(never mind, the
    list is too long).

    > Anyway, that said...it is fairly easy to get newer versions of Windows
    > back to the behavior and look of previous operating systems.
    >
    > I did a test install of Vista and turned the whole thing back to the
    > classic GUI that win2k uses.
    > (BTW: I always set both XP and Vista to "best performance" in the control
    > panel)
    >
    > If someone were using either my Win2k, XP or Vista machine,
    > they could barely tell the difference
    >
    > here is my Vista desktop
    >
    > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/vista.jpg

    Shouldn't the Computer icon be changed to My Computer? Naturally you got a
    photo release from the person who is sipping what looks like a beer?

    > it looks nearly identical to my Win2k desktop.
    >

    > all the tools in the control panel are in the same place as Win2k's...
    > though of course Vista has a few more

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery
    http://webpagesorcery.com
    We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  11. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    "Darrell Stec" wrote in message
    > philo wrote:
    >

    > > "Spin" wrote in message
    > >> Gurus,
    > >>
    > >> I've been a Microsoft Windows user for the past ten years. In fact I'm

    > >> Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer. I am tired of Microsoft moving

    the
    > >> locations of tools around with each new OS, plus I am tired of them

    > > renaming
    > >> tools, removing things and changing the interface "look and feel"

    without
    > >> leaving the option to go back to the old look. These things didn't
    > >> bother me so much in my younger days but as I get older, they are
    > >> starting to.
    > >>
    > >> Maybe the different flavors of Linux are the same way but I am very

    close
    > >> ordering a new machine running Linux from Dell.
    > >>
    > >> My worries are as follows:
    > >>
    > >> 1) I will become frustrated in trying to learn a whole new OS before
    > >> discovering it's true power.
    > >> 2) All my colleagues run Windows and Microsoft Office applications. I
    > >> obviously can't install Microsoft Office in Linux so I'm not sure what

    > > do
    > >> about that.
    > >> 3) Anything else I need to worry about?
    > >>
    > >> Perhaps I can maintain my Microsoft Windows skills while picking up

    Linux
    > >> skills.
    > >>

    > > I've been dual booting for years and I suggest you do the same.
    > > I seriously doubt if the day will come where I use either OS

    exclusively.

    > > Many MS apps will run in Linux using WINE.
    > > (I don't know if Office will run in WINE or not)
    > >

    > Yes it will if you do not use the latest/greatest version that comes out
    > twice a year. It will also run Quickbooks, but again not the
    > latest/greatest version. And Flight Navigator. And....(never mind, the
    > list is too long).
    >
    > > Anyway, that said...it is fairly easy to get newer versions of Windows
    > > back to the behavior and look of previous operating systems.
    > >
    > > I did a test install of Vista and turned the whole thing back to the
    > > classic GUI that win2k uses.
    > > (BTW: I always set both XP and Vista to "best performance" in the

    control
    > > panel)
    > >
    > > If someone were using either my Win2k, XP or Vista machine,
    > > they could barely tell the difference
    > >
    > > here is my Vista desktop
    > >
    > > http://www.plazaearth.com/philo/vista.jpg

    > Shouldn't the Computer icon be changed to My Computer? Naturally you got

    > photo release from the person who is sipping what looks like a beer?

    I suppose I could have snitched a few icons from my win2k machine...
    but felt no need to go that far.

    As to the photo release form: I don't need no stinkin' photo release form
    from my own GF
    BTW: That's high octane coffee in that cup. We are both *serious* coffee
    drinkers.
    We gave up the booze quite a few years ago!

  12. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    Why has the weight of the PC got to do with anything? have I misread the
    original poster question?

    --

    "Jan Gerrit Kootstra" wrote in message
    news:b7838$47d05d75$5039d21b$18387@news.chello.nl. ..
    > Andrew Crawford wrote:
    >> you can install office using wine
    >>

    > Andrew,
    >

    > How heavy is your Office PC?
    >
    > If wine does not work, run WinXP (or a Win2kx server) in a VMware or XEN
    > virtual machine to run the Windows tools you need.
    >

    > Kind regards,
    >

    > Jan Gerrit Kootstra

  13. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    Andrew Crawford wrote:

    > Why has the weight of the PC got to do with anything? have I misread the
    > original poster question?

    In this instance, "heavy" means "digital ooommph".

  14. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    http://xandros.com has a distro that you can install on another drive,
    and when it boots up, finds and mounts all other partitionss; windows,
    dos, or whatevr. And gives you full rw access without telling you you
    do not "have permission" to access a drive on y our own desktop.

    This is a fundamental problem with Linux which grew out of the
    networked environment, and therefore didnt give ordinary "users"
    access to anything without specifically listing it. In fstab or
    wherever.

    So, Xandros will find your windows drive, and give you complete access
    to all the files, and read or work with all the windows file formats.

    Note, I said install a new drive. The last windows user didnt take my
    very specific advice on this, was too lazy to put a new drive in,
    repartitioned, and lost the windows boot. Altho- Xandros could still
    access all his files. If Xandros is on the primary boot partition and
    finds any other OS, it will pause for a few seconds and ask if you
    wanna boot windows.

    It figures this out every time you boot the system; you do not have to
    screw around with fstab if you put in another drive. or smartcard, or
    whatever. If it finds a bootable partition, it makes the offer. I've
    not seen other Linux distros do this.

    Then, during the setup, Xandros offers to set the GUI so it operates
    just like Windows. You soon forget you are not running windows.
    Xandros 4 runs the video posted on the net that some other distros
    I've seen could not. It comes with a CROSSOVER demo to run windows
    software.

    However, I've not been able to download and install gftp on Xandros.
    It tells me some libs are missing, even tho it dont tell me which I
    need, and you'd think that the newest distro would already have them.

    With dos, it was always easy to download and install new apps. With
    Linux, I've found it easier to just buy a new Linux install CD rather
    than get sucked into a vortex of missing "dependencies".

  15. Re: Need opinions on switching from Windows to Linux

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.linux.]
    On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:11:54 -0700 (PDT),
    Day Brown wrote:
    > http://xandros.com has a distro that you can install on another drive,
    > and when it boots up, finds and mounts all other partitionss; windows,
    > dos, or whatevr. And gives you full rw access without telling you you
    > do not "have permission" to access a drive on y our own desktop.
    >
    > This is a fundamental problem with Linux which grew out of the
    > networked environment, and therefore didnt give ordinary "users"
    > access to anything without specifically listing it. In fstab or
    > wherever.

    Ordinary users shouldn't have access to other user's data. What you
    describe is great if you are the only user, and you don't mind having
    to fsck 16 partitions if the machine crashes.

    > So, Xandros will find your windows drive, and give you complete access
    > to all the files, and read or work with all the windows file formats.
    >
    > Note, I said install a new drive. The last windows user didnt take my
    > very specific advice on this, was too lazy to put a new drive in,
    > repartitioned, and lost the windows boot. Altho- Xandros could still
    > access all his files. If Xandros is on the primary boot partition and
    > finds any other OS, it will pause for a few seconds and ask if you
    > wanna boot windows.
    >
    > It figures this out every time you boot the system; you do not have to
    > screw around with fstab if you put in another drive. or smartcard, or
    > whatever. If it finds a bootable partition, it makes the offer. I've
    > not seen other Linux distros do this.

    Why would anyone want a routine questionnaire when booting their
    machine?

    > Then, during the setup, Xandros offers to set the GUI so it operates
    > just like Windows. You soon forget you are not running windows.
    > Xandros 4 runs the video posted on the net that some other distros
    > I've seen could not. It comes with a CROSSOVER demo to run windows
    > software.

    If many of us wanted to forget we were not running windows, we'd
    probably still be running it.

    > However, I've not been able to download and install gftp on Xandros.
    > It tells me some libs are missing, even tho it dont tell me which I
    > need, and you'd think that the newest distro would already have them.

    IF Xandros package manager refuses to indicate what libs are missing,
    that is definately not a selling point. If you indicate how you're
    trying to install it, and what error message you're getting, someone
    might be able to enlighten you as to what you are doing wrong and/or
    what else is needed.

    > With dos, it was always easy to download and install new apps. With
    > Linux, I've found it easier to just buy a new Linux install CD rather
    > than get sucked into a vortex of missing "dependencies".

    Debian based distros are usually very good at installing dependencies
    if you are using a package manager.

    Michael C.
    --
    mjchappell@verizon.net http://mcsuper5.freeshell.org/

    What we learn with pleasure we never forget.

+ Reply to Thread