Copy folders / data from older server - Redhat

This is a discussion on Copy folders / data from older server - Redhat ; I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the DAT 72 drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so reading off a ...

  1. Copy folders / data from older server

    I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a
    failing SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the
    DAT 72 drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so
    reading off a type "seems" to be out. I have tried with ftb but it
    does not seem to create the folders "on the fly" as the files
    transfer.

    What can I look at?

  2. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:

    > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing
    > SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the DAT 72
    > drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so reading off a
    > type "seems" to be out. I have tried with ftb but it does not seem to
    > create the folders "on the fly" as the files transfer.
    >
    > What can I look at?

    I would use c-kermit to do this. There are binaries and source for both
    systems available from The Kermit Project at Columbia University.

    http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/

    While c-kermit is "free" to download and use I recommend buying the
    manual for it as that is how the project supports itself. If you want to
    follow-up with folks that know more about c-kermit then subscribe to the
    comp.protocols.kermit.misc newsgroup. I have added that group to this
    reply.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  3. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Mar 1, 1:31*pm, ERACC wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:
    > > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing
    > > SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. *Unfortunately, the DAT 72
    > > drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so reading off a
    > > type "seems" to be out. *I have tried with ftb but it does not seem to
    > > create the folders "on the fly" as the files transfer.

    > > What can I look at?

    > I would use c-kermit to do this. There are binaries and source for both
    > systems available from The Kermit Project at Columbia University.
    >
    > http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/
    >
    > While c-kermit is "free" to download and use I recommend buying the
    > manual for it as that is how the project supports itself. If you want to
    > follow-up with folks that know more about c-kermit then subscribe to the
    > comp.protocols.kermit.misc newsgroup. I have added that group to this
    > reply.
    >
    > Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    > --
    > Mandriva Linux release 2007.1 (Official) for i586
    > Got Rute?http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    > ERA Computers & Consulting -http://www.eracc.com/
    > Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

    Tried kermit but will not purchase the manual. This is a "one-shot"
    deal so I will not ba using the kermit after this transfer.

    Kermit does not do what I am looking for

  4. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    In comp.protocols.kermit.misc smlunatick wrote:
    > Tried kermit but will not purchase the manual. This is a "one-shot"
    > deal so I will not ba using the kermit after this transfer.

    I used kermit to do full hierarchy copies from one Unix system to another
    every night for years. Maybe we misunderstand your need.

  5. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    smlunatick writes:

    > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a
    > failing SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the
    > DAT 72 drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so
    > reading off a type "seems" to be out. I have tried with ftb but it
    > does not seem to create the folders "on the fly" as the files
    > transfer.
    >
    > What can I look at?

    Minor point, there are no "folders" on Linux,
    you mean directories.

    To accomplish what you want, most people
    would create a compressed tar, copy the tar file with FTP,
    then uncompress it.

    If you want to do this in smaller chunks, look at rsync.

  6. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:27:40 -0800, smlunatick wrote:

    > On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:
    > > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a
    > > failing SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. *[...]

    [...]
    > Tried kermit but will not purchase the manual. This is a "one-shot"
    > deal so I will not ba using the kermit after this transfer. Kermit does
    > not do what I am looking for

    The c-kermit *I* use from Columbia University *will* copy entire trees
    from one system to another over any data connection I can make between
    them. Which one did *you* try? Did you even *try* the c-kermit software
    from Columbia University? Get it, load it up, type "help send" and "help
    get" then read all the options paying attention to "/RECURSIVE". If that
    will not do what you said you want then you misstated what you want.

    Gene (e-mail: gene \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  7. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:28:26 -0800, smlunatick wrote:

    > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a failing
    > SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the DAT 72
    > drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so reading off a
    > type "seems" to be out. I have tried with ftb but it does not seem to
    > create the folders "on the fly" as the files transfer.
    >
    > What can I look at?

    You can use rsync which will copy the whole tree,

    rsync -r -t -l foo destination:/bar

    Or you can tar everything up and then rsync the tar file over to the new
    system.

    tar -cvf foo.tar foo

  8. Re: Copy folders / data from older server

    Dan Espen :
    > smlunatick writes:
    >
    > > I need to transfer several folders, sub-folders and files from a
    > > failing SCO server over to a new Red Hat server. Unfortunately, the
    > > DAT 72 drive does not seem to like the older DAT 2 cartridge so
    > > reading off a type "seems" to be out. I have tried with ftb but it
    > > does not seem to create the folders "on the fly" as the files
    > > transfer.
    > >
    > > What can I look at?

    > Minor point, there are no "folders" on Linux,
    > you mean directories.
    >
    > To accomplish what you want, most people
    > would create a compressed tar, copy the tar file with FTP,
    > then uncompress it.

    Besides the tarball method there's scp -r somedir somehost:/some/dir
    or scp -r somehost:/some/dir somedir

    Install private keys on both, and your only problem is which machine
    that prompt you're looking at is talking to.