I'm looking at installing Python 2.4 on RHEL4. (Upgrading to RHEL5 is
currently out of the question because of my hosting company's support

I've looked at the Python Source RPM (currently
, but it requires a lot of additional dependencies such as tk-devel
(which requires on X). Similar story with Fedora Core 4

I presume that the best option is to build from source. Which will
probably be a bit of a pain for long term system maintenance.

Have others found themselves in this situation on RHEL4?
Are there any other workarounds that I've missed?