I'm looking at installing Python 2.4 on RHEL4. (Upgrading to RHEL5 is
currently out of the question because of my hosting company's support
options.)

I've looked at the Python Source RPM (currently
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4...dotorg.src.rpm)
, but it requires a lot of additional dependencies such as tk-devel
(which requires on X). Similar story with Fedora Core 4
(python-2.4.3-8.FC4.src.rpm).

I presume that the best option is to build from source. Which will
probably be a bit of a pain for long term system maintenance.

Have others found themselves in this situation on RHEL4?
Are there any other workarounds that I've missed?