Removing unnecessary files from linux - Redhat

This is a discussion on Removing unnecessary files from linux - Redhat ; Hi, Does anybody know how to clear unnecessary files in linux? im using fedora 7. my disk space usage is 91%. So, i am in need of freeing up some space. Is deleting the files in /tmp work?? pls help....

  1. Removing unnecessary files from linux

    Hi,
    Does anybody know how to clear unnecessary files in linux? im using
    fedora 7. my disk space usage is 91%. So, i am in need of freeing up
    some space.
    Is deleting the files in /tmp work?? pls help.

  2. Re: Removing unnecessary files from linux

    Prasanna writes:

    >Hi,
    >Does anybody know how to clear unnecessary files in linux? im using
    >fedora 7. my disk space usage is 91%. So, i am in need of freeing up
    >some space.
    >Is deleting the files in /tmp work?? pls help.

    Buy a new disk. Cheaper than spending 10 hours cleaning your disk, and then
    discovering you have erased crucial stuff.
    fedora 7 is ancient. It has security holes that have not been fixed. so you
    do not need to worry about loosing crucial information-- it is allout there
    in the world on some hacker's ard drive.:-)

    Anyway, clean out your browser caches. Clean out /tmp i
    find /tmp -mtime +10 |xargs rm -f
    cleans out all files older than 10 days.
    look at /var/log and clean out huge files that you forget to tell logrotate
    to actually rotate.
    Get rid of all those rpm files you downloaded to install and then forgot
    about.
    Then clean up your own directories.

  3. Re: Removing unnecessary files from linux

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:10:32 +0000, Unruh wrote:

    > Buy a new disk. Cheaper than spending 10 hours cleaning your disk, and
    > then discovering you have erased crucial stuff. fedora 7 is ancient. It
    > has security holes that have not been fixed. so you do not need to worry
    > about loosing crucial information-- it is allout there in the world on
    > some hacker's ard drive.:-)

    Actually, Fedora 7 is less than 9 months old and security updates will
    continue to be available via Yum until one month after Fedora 9 is
    released sometime around the end of April or early May.

    Check out :

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LifeCycle/EOL

    and

    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/Schedule

    The new hard disk is a good idea though unless your time has no value.
    And if that is so, how about coming over and washing my car and cutting my
    lawn for free ?

    Tony

  4. Re: Removing unnecessary files from linux

    find / -size +100M -printf "%h;%f;%k;%A+\n" > /tmp/bigfiles
    this way you'll find big files taking up to much space in your hd, and
    the file last access date and time.
    just open /tmp/bigfile in some spreadsheet software i.e. openoffice calc
    separate collumns by semicolon and you are ready to take a look on
    what files are useless
    one general rule, do not erase files under /boot, /etc, /lib, /proc,
    /dev, those as probably used by the os itself.
    log files hava a tendency to grow very large
    look for them in /var/log/ if you think you don't need log files you can
    erase them safely.
    tks
    Ciro

    Prasanna escreveu:
    > Hi,
    > Does anybody know how to clear unnecessary files in linux? im using
    > fedora 7. my disk space usage is 91%. So, i am in need of freeing up
    > some space.
    > Is deleting the files in /tmp work?? pls help.

+ Reply to Thread