How to rescue system with "No inittab file found" - Redhat

This is a discussion on How to rescue system with "No inittab file found" - Redhat ; I messed up my Fedora FC7 installation. I was removing packages I thought were unnecessary (because the partition was kind of small and because the default installation put in a lot of unnecessary things.) So I went down the list ...

  1. How to rescue system with "No inittab file found"

    I messed up my Fedora FC7 installation. I was removing packages I
    thought were unnecessary (because the partition was kind of small and
    because the default installation put in a lot of unnecessary
    things.) So I went down the list of packages using the GUI add/remove
    software thing, and I picked out things like Ooffice, apache, etc...
    things that I knew I would never need....

    Accidentally, I somehow must have chosen something that was important
    or was removed for dependencies. Because now when I boot I get:

    INIT: No inittab file found
    Enter runlevel:

    but no matter what runlevel I put in, all I get is:

    INIT: no more processes left at this runlevel

    What can I do to recover? I have downloaded the FC7 rescue CD and the
    LiveCD as well..... But I can't figure out how to use them to recover
    my system, without formatting it completely.... The LiveCD in
    particular will not do a FC7 installation without first formatting.
    (i.e., there is no "upgrade" option when going from FC7 to FC7.)

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: How to rescue system with "No inittab file found"

    I believe the inittab file is in the initscripts rpm package

    you may be able to boot to the rescue DVD/CD and use yum to reinstall
    initscripts
    or rpm

    something like:
    rpm -ivh --force --root /mnt/sysimage
    /mnt/source/initscripts...rpm

    "Owen" wrote in message
    > I messed up my Fedora FC7 installation. I was removing packages I
    > thought were unnecessary (because the partition was kind of small and
    > because the default installation put in a lot of unnecessary
    > things.) So I went down the list of packages using the GUI add/remove
    > software thing, and I picked out things like Ooffice, apache, etc...
    > things that I knew I would never need....
    >
    > Accidentally, I somehow must have chosen something that was important
    > or was removed for dependencies. Because now when I boot I get:
    >
    > INIT: No inittab file found
    > Enter runlevel:
    >
    > but no matter what runlevel I put in, all I get is:
    >
    > INIT: no more processes left at this runlevel
    >

    > What can I do to recover? I have downloaded the FC7 rescue CD and the
    > LiveCD as well..... But I can't figure out how to use them to recover
    > my system, without formatting it completely.... The LiveCD in
    > particular will not do a FC7 installation without first formatting.
    > (i.e., there is no "upgrade" option when going from FC7 to FC7.)
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

+ Reply to Thread