"Recursive" links to merge directories - Redhat

This is a discussion on "Recursive" links to merge directories - Redhat ; I've been searching for a while to try to find a solution to this, not sure if there is one. This is the set up: I have two directories, one is /home/shared/images where I keep image files that all users ...

  1. "Recursive" links to merge directories

    I've been searching for a while to try to find a solution to this, not
    sure if there is one. This is the set up:

    I have two directories, one is /home/shared/images where I keep image
    files that all users share, the other is /home/mearns/images which is
    where I keep my own images that other users don't have access to. In
    order to simplify image browsing for myself, I want to have links for
    all of the files in the shared images directory in my personal image
    directory. In otherwords, when I ls in my personal image directory, I
    want to see the actual contents of that directory PLUS the contents of
    the shared image directory.

    I know it's easy enough to write a shell script to automatically
    create links for all the files in the shared directory, but it won't
    update when I add files to the shared directory, or rename files, or
    whatever. I basically want a live view of the shared directory, merged
    with a live view of my personal directory. I know can link the shared
    directory itself, but I don't want it to look like a seperate
    directory in my personal folder.

    Does anyone know of a way to do this? If there's no command to do it,
    is there a way to set up a listener for the shared folder that will
    run a custom shell script everytime the directory contents change?

    Thanks,
    -Brian

  2. Re: "Recursive" links to merge directories

    On Jan 9, 9:02 pm, bmearns wrote:
    > I've been searching for a while to try to find a solution to this, not
    > sure if there is one. This is the set up:
    >
    > I have two directories, one is /home/shared/images where I keep image
    > files that all users share, the other is /home/mearns/images which is
    > where I keep my own images that other users don't have access to. In
    > order to simplify image browsing for myself, I want to have links for
    > all of the files in the shared images directory in my personal image
    > directory. In otherwords, when I ls in my personal image directory, I
    > want to see the actual contents of that directory PLUS the contents of
    > the shared image directory.
    >
    > I know it's easy enough to write a shell script to automatically
    > create links for all the files in the shared directory, but it won't
    > update when I add files to the shared directory, or rename files, or
    > whatever. I basically want a live view of the shared directory, merged
    > with a live view of my personal directory. I know can link the shared
    > directory itself, but I don't want it to look like a seperate
    > directory in my personal folder.
    >
    > Does anyone know of a way to do this? If there's no command to do it,
    > is there a way to set up a listener for the shared folder that will
    > run a custom shell script everytime the directory contents change?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Brian

    Hi Brain,

    I have a question to ask you.Is it the users you create under the /
    home or simply you create up a directory over there ..??Or different
    machines??

    Individual user cannot able to see each other by default.

    Thank You

    Melbin Mathew

  3. Re: "Recursive" links to merge directories

    On Jan 15, 1:48 am, MELBIN MATHEW wrote:
    > On Jan 9, 9:02 pm, bmearns wrote:
    >

    > > I've been searching for a while to try to find a solution to this, not
    > > sure if there is one. This is the set up:

    > > I have two directories, one is /home/shared/images where I keep image
    > > files that all users share, the other is /home/mearns/images which is
    > > where I keep my own images that other users don't have access to. In
    > > order to simplify image browsing for myself, I want to have links for
    > > all of the files in the shared images directory in my personal image
    > > directory. In otherwords, when I ls in my personal image directory, I
    > > want to see the actual contents of that directory PLUS the contents of
    > > the shared image directory.

    > > I know it's easy enough to write a shell script to automatically
    > > create links for all the files in the shared directory, but it won't
    > > update when I add files to the shared directory, or rename files, or
    > > whatever. I basically want a live view of the shared directory, merged
    > > with a live view of my personal directory. I know can link the shared
    > > directory itself, but I don't want it to look like a seperate
    > > directory in my personal folder.

    > > Does anyone know of a way to do this? If there's no command to do it,
    > > is there a way to set up a listener for the shared folder that will
    > > run a custom shell script everytime the directory contents change?

    > > Thanks,
    > > -Brian

    > Hi Brain,
    >
    > I have a question to ask you.Is it the users you create under the /
    > home or simply you create up a directory over there ..??Or different
    > machines??
    >
    > Individual user cannot able to see each other by default.
    >
    > Thank You
    >
    > Melbin Mathew

    Hi Melbin,

    Yes, I know that, thanks. shared is an actual user, but I've chown'd
    and chmod'd it's home directory so that users in a specific group have
    full access to it. (I basically just set it up as an actual user so I
    cd to ~shared and it will know where to go).

    The access isn't really the issue: forget /home/shared, it could be
    any other path. The idea is just to setup a link so the contents of
    one directory show up directly inside another directory. For example,
    I have to these two directories, with the given contents:

    /dir1
    ====
    /dir1/d1_file1
    /dir1/d1_file2

    /dir2
    ====
    /dir2/d2_fileA
    /dir2/d2_fileB

    I want to set up something so that when I get a directory listing for /
    dir1, it will show up with all four file:

    ls /dir1
    d1_file1
    d1_file2
    d2_fileA
    d2_fileB

    where the d2* files are actually links to the files in /dir2. But I
    want to do this without actually creating the individual file links so
    that, for instance, when I add a file to /dir2, for instance, the link
    to it automatically shows up in /dir1

    Is that more clear?
    Thanks.

    -Brian