Starting VSFTPD using xinetd - Redhat

This is a discussion on Starting VSFTPD using xinetd - Redhat ; I have fedora on linux machine and trying to start vsftpd using xinetd. When I give the command : service vsftpd start getting the following message : vsftpd: unrecognized service How to start vsftpd from xinetd? I have copied my ...

  1. Starting VSFTPD using xinetd

    I have fedora on linux machine and trying to start vsftpd using xinetd. When I give the command : service vsftpd start
    getting the following message : vsftpd: unrecognized service

    How to start vsftpd from xinetd?

    I have copied my config and vsftpd files.

    My vsftpd file looks like this:

    # default: off
    # normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
    service ftp
    {
    disable = no
    socket_type = stream
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/local/sbin/vsftpd
    nice = 10
    }

    My /etc/vsftpd.conf looks like this:

    # Example config file /etc/vsftpd.conf
    #
    # The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file
    # loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable.
    # Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults.
    #
    # READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options.
    # Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's
    # capabilities.
    #
    # Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this out).
    anonymous_enable=NO
    #
    # Uncomment this to allow local users to log in.
    local_enable=YES
    #
    # Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
    write_enable=YES
    #
    # Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
    # if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
    local_umask=022
    #
    # Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
    # has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you will
    # obviously need to create a directory writable by the FTP user.
    #anon_upload_enable=YES
    #
    # Uncomment this if you want the anonymous FTP user to be able to create
    # new directories.
    #anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
    #
    # Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they
    # go into a certain directory.
    dirmessage_enable=YES
    #
    # Activate logging of uploads/downloads.
    xferlog_enable=YES
    #
    # Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
    connect_from_port_20=YES
    #
    # If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by
    # a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not
    # recommended!
    chown_uploads=NO
    #chown_username=whoever
    #
    # You may override where the log file goes if you like. The default is shown
    # below.
    #xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
    #
    # If you want, you can have your log file in standard ftpd xferlog format
    #xferlog_std_format=YES
    #
    # You may change the default value for timing out an idle session.
    idle_session_timeout=600
    #
    # You may change the default value for timing out a data connection.
    data_connection_timeout=120
    #
    # It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the
    # ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user.
    nopriv_user=ftpsecure
    #
    # Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not
    # recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it,
    # however, may confuse older FTP clients.
    #async_abor_enable=YES
    #
    # By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
    # the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do ASCII
    # mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
    # Beware that turning on ascii_download_enable enables malicious remote parties
    # to consume your I/O resources, by issuing the command "SIZE /big/file" in
    # ASCII mode.
    # These ASCII options are split into upload and download because you may wish
    # to enable ASCII uploads (to prevent uploaded scripts etc. from breaking),
    # without the DoS risk of SIZE and ASCII downloads. ASCII mangling should be
    # on the client anyway..
    ascii_upload_enable=NO
    ascii_download_enable=NO
    #
    # You may fully customise the login banner string:
    ftpd_banner=Welcome to blah FTP service.
    #
    # You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses. Apparently
    # useful for combatting certain DoS attacks.
    #deny_email_enable=YES
    # (default follows)
    #banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd.banned_emails
    #
    # You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home
    # directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of
    # users to NOT chroot().
    chroot_list_enable=YES
    # (default follows)
    #chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
    #
    # You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by
    # default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large
    # sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror" assume
    # the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling it.
    ls_recurse_enable=NO
    background = YES
    listen = YES
    nopriv_user = vsftpd
    secure_chroot_dir = /var/ftp/empty

    and my xinetd.conf file looks like this:

    #
    # This is the master xinetd configuration file. Settings in the
    # default section will be inherited by all service configurations
    # unless explicitly overridden in the service configuration. See
    # xinetd.conf in the man pages for a more detailed explanation of
    # these attributes.

    defaults
    {
    # The next two items are intended to be a quick access place to
    # temporarily enable or disable services.
    #
    # enabled =
    # disabled =

    # Define general logging characteristics.
    log_type = SYSLOG daemon info
    log_on_failure = HOST
    log_on_success = PID HOST DURATION EXIT

    # Define access restriction defaults
    #
    # no_access =
    # only_from =
    # max_load = 0
    cps = 50 10
    instances = 50
    per_source = 10
    listen = OFF
    # Address and networking defaults
    #
    # bind =
    # mdns = yes
    v6only = no

    # setup environmental attributes
    #
    # passenv =
    groups = yes
    umask = 002

    # Generally, banners are not used. This sets up their global defaults
    #
    # banner =
    # banner_fail =
    # banner_success =
    }

    Thanks

  2. Re: Starting VSFTPD using xinetd

    could you see /etc/init.d/vsftpd file? if not copy that and add chkconfig vsftpd on and try starting vsftpd.

+ Reply to Thread