FC8 post-install fedora-live service - Redhat

This is a discussion on FC8 post-install fedora-live service - Redhat ; Hi, I installed FC8 from a LiveCD onto an Asus laptop L3C (L3800) (ram upgraded to 1Gb.) Everything went fine. Shutdown and rebooted several times over the past week and I've used yum to update the system and install some ...

  1. FC8 post-install fedora-live service

    Hi,
    I installed FC8 from a LiveCD onto an Asus laptop L3C (L3800) (ram
    upgraded to 1Gb.) Everything went fine. Shutdown and rebooted several
    times over the past week and I've used yum to update the system and
    install some applications.

    In Services (Gnome > System > Administration > Services) it shows
    "firstboot" and "fedora-live" as being runlevel 5 startup services. I've
    stopped and disabled "firstboot", but I'm a bit unsure about what to do
    with the "fedora-live" entry. Does it still have a use post-install or is
    it a legacy from the LiveCD installation process?

    Also, if these are unnecessary after installation, is there a simple way
    to clean up and remove their remains?

    thanks, cheers.

  2. Re: FC8 post-install fedora-live service

    On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:26:56 +0000, jane wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I installed FC8 from a LiveCD onto an Asus laptop L3C (L3800) (ram
    > upgraded to 1Gb.) Everything went fine. Shutdown and rebooted several
    > times over the past week and I've used yum to update the system and
    > install some applications.
    >
    > In Services (Gnome > System > Administration > Services) it shows
    > "firstboot" and "fedora-live" as being runlevel 5 startup services. I've
    > stopped and disabled "firstboot", but I'm a bit unsure about what to do
    > with the "fedora-live" entry. Does it still have a use post-install or is
    > it a legacy from the LiveCD installation process?
    >
    > Also, if these are unnecessary after installation, is there a simple way
    > to clean up and remove their remains?
    >
    > thanks, cheers.

    I had a look through /etc/init.d/fedora-live and it seems the
    "fedora-live" service isn't needed after installation to hard disk. The
    remains seem to be limited to /etc/init.d/fedora-live and;
    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/zz-liveinst.sh
    /etc/pam.d/liveinst
    /etc/security/console.apps/liveinst
    /usr/bin/liveinst
    /usr/sbin/liveinst
    /usr/share/applications/liveinst.desktop

    Perhaps the installation/post-install process can be tweaked to
    clean up a bit more.

    cheers

    --
    l'air du temps