Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run graphical? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run graphical? - Redhat ; Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run graphical? Connecting through telnet via ssh works fine, however nothing comes up when I run graphical applications.. Of course, in my local computer, I set the startxwin ...

  1. Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run graphical?

    Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run
    graphical?

    Connecting through telnet via ssh works fine, however nothing comes up
    when I run graphical applications..

    Of course, in my local computer, I set the startxwin from cygwin
    correctly running. (I verified this by connecting to other remote
    computer)

    Is there any special program that I have to run in my remote
    computer?

    Thanks!!

  2. Re: Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnetand run graphical?

    On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 06:13:26 +0000, Mike H wrote:

    > Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run
    > graphical?
    >
    > Connecting through telnet via ssh works fine, however nothing comes up
    > when I run graphical applications..
    >
    > Of course, in my local computer, I set the startxwin from cygwin
    > correctly running. (I verified this by connecting to other remote
    > computer)
    >
    > Is there any special program that I have to run in my remote computer?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    I assume you mean RHEL 4 not RH4.

    You need to enable X forwarding. The easiest way to manage ssh is with
    webmin, http://www.webmin.com. Webmin is a browser based admin tool,
    you'll find SSH under servers. Goto the misc options page and then enable
    X forwarding.

    Once you have X forwarding working all you have to do is start your X
    application from the ssh shell. You can also start an application
    remotely without having to ssh in first. It's done as follows

    ssh machinename app

    As an example

    ssh nimitz xemacs

  3. Re: Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnetand run graphical?

    Mike H wrote:
    > Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run
    > graphical?
    >
    > Connecting through telnet via ssh works fine, however nothing comes up
    > when I run graphical applications..
    >
    > Of course, in my local computer, I set the startxwin from cygwin
    > correctly running. (I verified this by connecting to other remote
    > computer)
    >
    > Is there any special program that I have to run in my remote
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Don't confuse telnet and ssh - they are different protocols that do
    similar but different things. You can "tunnel" x-windows through ssh,
    but there is no way to do that with telnet. with SSH, you can also
    tunnel file transfer functions and other remote terminal functions.

    Once you have started X-windows on your PC using cygwin, ssh to remote
    PC. Give the command

    echo $DISPLAY

    If you see something, then the X-windows tunnel has been established and
    your X windows applications should run fine. However, if you see
    nothing, then something has gone wrong. Try ssh -X to explicitly turn on
    the X-windows tunneling.

    I usually test my connections by running xterm, which is ubiquitous. If
    xterm works, then all other X-windows applications will work.

    Jeff Silverman

  4. Re: Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnetand run graphical?

    Mike H wrote:
    > Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run
    > graphical?
    >
    > Connecting through telnet via ssh works fine, however nothing comes up
    > when I run graphical applications..
    >
    > Of course, in my local computer, I set the startxwin from cygwin
    > correctly running. (I verified this by connecting to other remote
    > computer)
    >
    > Is there any special program that I have to run in my remote
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Don't confuse telnet and ssh - they are different protocols that do
    similar but different things. You can "tunnel" x-windows through ssh,
    but there is no way to do that with telnet. with SSH, you can also
    tunnel file transfer functions and other remote terminal functions.

    Once you have started X-windows on your PC using cygwin, ssh to remote
    PC. Give the command

    echo $DISPLAY

    If you see something, then the X-windows tunnel has been established and
    your X windows applications should run fine. However, if you see
    nothing, then something has gone wrong. Try ssh -X to explicitly turn on
    the X-windows tunneling.

    I usually test my connections by running xterm, which is ubiquitous. If
    xterm works, then all other X-windows applications will work.

    Jeff Silverman

  5. Re: Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnetand run graphical?

    Mike H wrote:
    > Redhat4: How to set up X-win right,so you can remotely telnet and run
    > graphical?
    >
    > Connecting through telnet via ssh works fine, however nothing comes up
    > when I run graphical applications..
    >
    > Of course, in my local computer, I set the startxwin from cygwin
    > correctly running. (I verified this by connecting to other remote
    > computer)
    >
    > Is there any special program that I have to run in my remote
    > computer?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    Don't confuse telnet and ssh - they are different protocols that do
    similar but different things. You can "tunnel" x-windows through ssh,
    but there is no way to do that with telnet. with SSH, you can also
    tunnel file transfer functions and other remote terminal functions.

    Once you have started X-windows on your PC using cygwin, ssh to remote
    PC. Give the command

    echo $DISPLAY

    If you see something, then the X-windows tunnel has been established and
    your X windows applications should run fine. However, if you see
    nothing, then something has gone wrong. Try ssh -X to explicitly turn on
    the X-windows tunneling.

    I usually test my connections by running xterm, which is ubiquitous. If
    xterm works, then all other X-windows applications will work.

    Jeff Silverman

+ Reply to Thread