Newbie question: Can Intel run 64-bit LINUX? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Newbie question: Can Intel run 64-bit LINUX? - Redhat ; I have a 8 month notebook, 2GB RAM, with an Intel Core2 CPU T7200. I am sure this can run RHEL 4, 64-bit LINUX but unfortunately my IT department is convinced that it is only a 32 -bit processor and ...

  1. Newbie question: Can Intel run 64-bit LINUX?

    I have a 8 month notebook, 2GB RAM, with an Intel Core2 CPU T7200.

    I am sure this can run RHEL 4, 64-bit LINUX but unfortunately my IT
    department is convinced that it is only a 32 -bit processor and cannot
    run 64-bit LINUX.

    I tried the list of certified computer on Redhat.com but all I could
    see is RHEL 5 systems.

    Does RHEL 5 imply 64 bits or does 32 and 64 bit versions of RHEL 5
    exist?

    Does any body have another document somewhere that clearly outlines
    what Intel Processors can run 64-bit LINUX?

    Is this perception that current Intel chips cannot run 64 bits LINUX
    very common?

    thanks!

  2. Re: Newbie question: Can Intel run 64-bit LINUX?

    jeanluc wrote:
    > I have a 8 month notebook, 2GB RAM, with an Intel Core2 CPU T7200.
    >
    > I am sure this can run RHEL 4, 64-bit LINUX but unfortunately my IT
    > department is convinced that it is only a 32 -bit processor and cannot
    > run 64-bit LINUX.
    >
    > I tried the list of certified computer on Redhat.com but all I could
    > see is RHEL 5 systems.
    >
    > Does RHEL 5 imply 64 bits or does 32 and 64 bit versions of RHEL 5
    > exist?
    >
    > Does any body have another document somewhere that clearly outlines
    > what Intel Processors can run 64-bit LINUX?
    >
    > Is this perception that current Intel chips cannot run 64 bits LINUX
    > very common?
    >
    > thanks!

    nope, best thing that I could suggest is to grab and install the RHEL
    64-bit system and later the installation, from the shell run getconf
    LONG_BIT or getconf WORD_BIT, if you get 64 its 64-bit.

  3. Re: Newbie question: Can Intel run 64-bit LINUX?

    jeanluc wrote:

    > I am sure this can run RHEL 4, 64-bit LINUX but unfortunately my IT
    > department is convinced that it is only a 32 -bit processor and cannot
    > run 64-bit LINUX.

    Your IT department needs to be fired and replaced with people who can
    use Google, or at least read trade publications. All Intel Core 2 Duo
    processors are 64-bit capable. See:
    http://www.intel.com/technology/arch...+tabs_products
    and
    http://www.intel.com/products/proces...e2duo+tab_spec