Mounting a Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition - Redhat

This is a discussion on Mounting a Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition - Redhat ; I installed Fedora 7 over an old copy of Windows. What would I put in the mount command to have access to this partition? According to FDISK, it is a type f partition which is defined at Win '95 Ext'd ...

  1. Mounting a Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition

    I installed Fedora 7 over an old copy of Windows. What would I put in the
    mount command to have access to this partition? According to FDISK, it is a
    type f partition which is defined at Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition.

    I though of using mount -t /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4

    but it doesn't work.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: Mounting a Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition

    "John Strazzarino" wrote in message
    news:PGeSi.11422$4V6.7634@newssvr14.news.prodigy.n et...
    >I installed Fedora 7 over an old copy of Windows. What would I put in the
    >mount command to have access to this partition? According to FDISK, it is
    >a type f partition which is defined at Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition.
    >
    > I though of using mount -t /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
    >
    > but it doesn't work.

    Use :
    mount -t vfat /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4

    You can issue this command when you only want to mount the drive at odd
    times or you can add this entry in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to mount it
    permanently.

    If you want to access the partition permanently you can also add an entry
    into the /etc/fstab file as :

    /dev/hda4 / vfat defaults 0 0

    ( the last 2 entries are zeros )

    True Multitasking is having three computers and a chair with wheels.

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  3. Re: Mounting a Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 03:34:07 GMT, John Strazzarino wrote:
    > I installed Fedora 7 over an old copy of Windows. What would I put in the
    > mount command to have access to this partition? According to FDISK, it is a
    > type f partition which is defined at Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition.
    >
    > I though of using mount -t /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
    >
    > but it doesn't work.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    ask mount to tell you what it needs. Click up a terminal
    su - root

    mount -t auto /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
    mount | grep /mnt/hda4

    Now you should be able to see the type VALUE to use in /etc/fstab

    umount /mnt/hda4

    Make your modifications to /etc/fstab, then test with
    mount /mnt/hda4

  4. Re: Mounting a Win '95 Ext'd (LBA) partition

    :
    :I though of using mount -t /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
    :
    :but it doesn't work.
    :
    :Any ideas?

    You don't mount the extended partition itself. You mount the logical
    partitions contained within the extended partition. In Linux, those
    will be partition 5 and higher.