VMware Windows client clock runs fast - Redhat

This is a discussion on VMware Windows client clock runs fast - Redhat ; I'm running WinXP on a RHEL5 host. I just upgraded to Workstation 6 from Workstation 5. In Workstation 5, everything was good. In Workstation 6, the client clock gains about 1 minute every 5 minutes. The host does not use ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: VMware Windows client clock runs fast

  1. VMware Windows client clock runs fast

    I'm running WinXP on a RHEL5 host.
    I just upgraded to Workstation 6 from Workstation 5.
    In Workstation 5, everything was good.
    In Workstation 6, the client clock gains about 1 minute every 5 minutes.

    The host does not use cpuspeed or any other cpu throttling.
    In fact, the processor isn't even capable of it.

    I turned off Time Sync, since that only keeps the client from losing
    ticks (and made the problem worse). Here the problem is that it seems
    to be inventing extra ones. I'm now using ntp to keep the client in
    sync with a local ntp server, but that seems lame.

    All the other posts I've seen close to this topic appear to deal only
    with problems with x86_64 processors. My processor is a 32-bit Xeon.

    Does anyone have any ideas?

  2. Re: VMware Windows client clock runs fast

    how about this:
    http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...xternalId=1420

    --
    Alexander N. Spitzer
    Bonsai Bonanza
    http://www.BonsaiBonanza.com



    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > I'm running WinXP on a RHEL5 host.
    > I just upgraded to Workstation 6 from Workstation 5.
    > In Workstation 5, everything was good.
    > In Workstation 6, the client clock gains about 1 minute every 5 minutes.
    >
    > The host does not use cpuspeed or any other cpu throttling.
    > In fact, the processor isn't even capable of it.
    >
    > I turned off Time Sync, since that only keeps the client from losing
    > ticks (and made the problem worse). Here the problem is that it seems
    > to be inventing extra ones. I'm now using ntp to keep the client in
    > sync with a local ntp server, but that seems lame.
    >
    > All the other posts I've seen close to this topic appear to deal only
    > with problems with x86_64 processors. My processor is a 32-bit Xeon.
    >
    > Does anyone have any ideas?


  3. Re: VMware Windows client clock runs fast

    Bonsai Bonanza wrote:
    > how about this:
    > http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...xternalId=1420


    Unfortunately that post is for a Linux guest.
    I have a Red Hat host with a Windows guest.

  4. Re: VMware Windows client clock runs fast

    Allen Kistler wrote:
    > Bonsai Bonanza wrote:
    >> how about this:
    >> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...xternalId=1420

    >
    > Unfortunately that post is for a Linux guest.
    > I have a Red Hat host with a Windows guest.


    How about this... half way down is some params to try:

    http://communities.vmware.com/message/7730#7730

    --
    Alexander N. Spitzer
    Bonsai Bonanza
    http://www.BonsaiBonanza.com

  5. Re: VMware Windows client clock runs fast

    Bonsai Bonanza wrote:
    > Allen Kistler wrote:
    >> Bonsai Bonanza wrote:
    >>> how about this:
    >>> http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...xternalId=1420

    >>
    >> Unfortunately that post is for a Linux guest.
    >> I have a Red Hat host with a Windows guest.

    >
    > How about this... half way down is some params to try:
    >
    > http://communities.vmware.com/message/7730#7730


    The reference is a little off, but the hint was good. Once I had more
    specific keywords, I found other articles discussing those parameters.

    Putting
    host.noTSC = "TRUE"
    in /etc/vmware/config appears to have done the trick.

+ Reply to Thread