no space avail on a folder - Redhat

This is a discussion on no space avail on a folder - Redhat ; I am in F7: [root@localhost ~]# echo 'foo' >/misc/test -bash: /misc/test: Permission denied rw permissioins for root should be ok: [root@localhost ~]# ls -l / .... drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-10-13 11:11 misc .... There is 124G available on ...

  1. no space avail on a folder

    I am in F7:

    [root@localhost ~]# echo 'foo' >/misc/test
    -bash: /misc/test: Permission denied

    rw permissioins for root should be ok:
    [root@localhost ~]# ls -l /
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-10-13 11:11 misc

    There is 124G available on the root volume:
    [root@localhost ~]# df -h /
    /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
    135G 3.4G 124G 3% /
    But nautilus properties for /misc says: "Free space: 0 bytes" and
    [root@localhost ~]# df -h /misc
    - 0 0 0 - /misc

    Where the system may set: /misc has no space avail?

    TV

  2. Re: no space avail on a folder

    It's complaining about permissions, not space. Is the file system
    mounted rw?

    On Oct 13, 4:52 am, Tuomas Vesterinen
    wrote:
    > I am in F7:
    >
    > [root@localhost ~]# echo 'foo' >/misc/test
    > -bash: /misc/test: Permission denied
    >
    > rw permissioins for root should be ok:
    > [root@localhost ~]# ls -l /
    > drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-10-13 11:11 misc
    >
    > There is 124G available on the root volume:
    > [root@localhost ~]# df -h /
    > /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
    > 135G 3.4G 124G 3% /
    > But nautilus properties for /misc says: "Free space: 0 bytes" and
    > [root@localhost ~]# df -h /misc
    > - 0 0 0 - /misc
    >
    > Where the system may set: /misc has no space avail?
    >
    > TV

  3. Re: no space avail on a folder

    Rajendra Singh wrote:
    > It's complaining about permissions, not space. Is the file system
    > mounted rw?

    Thanks for the reply. It is mounted as rw. I solved the problem an other
    way. Resized the root volume filesystem 50G, resized the logical volume
    50G, created a new LVM2 40G logical volume, copied my data to it and
    mounted the new volume to /misc. So I have access to my data in the
    local hd at the right place and my USB disk becomes a backup device. And
    in the volume group I have 48G unallocated free space for extra needs.

    TV

    > On Oct 13, 4:52 am, Tuomas Vesterinen
    > wrote:
    >> I am in F7:
    >>
    >> [root@localhost ~]# echo 'foo' >/misc/test
    >> -bash: /misc/test: Permission denied
    >>
    >> rw permissioins for root should be ok:
    >> [root@localhost ~]# ls -l /
    >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 0 2007-10-13 11:11 misc
    >>
    >> There is 124G available on the root volume:
    >> [root@localhost ~]# df -h /
    >> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    >> /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
    >> 135G 3.4G 124G 3% /
    >> But nautilus properties for /misc says: "Free space: 0 bytes" and
    >> [root@localhost ~]# df -h /misc
    >> Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    >> - 0 0 0 - /misc
    >>
    >> Where the system may set: /misc has no space avail?
    >>
    >> TV

+ Reply to Thread