Problems opening .pdf files from Firefox on Linux boxes - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problems opening .pdf files from Firefox on Linux boxes - Redhat ; Anybody having trouble with viewing .pdf files within Firefox on a Linux (FC6) box? I get three different results from identical PC's: 1) The .pdf doc opens within Firefox (desired result) 2) I get the Open With.../Save To... window 3) ...

  1. Problems opening .pdf files from Firefox on Linux boxes

    Anybody having trouble with viewing .pdf files within Firefox on a
    Linux (FC6) box?

    I get three different results from identical PC's:
    1) The .pdf doc opens within Firefox (desired result)
    2) I get the Open With.../Save To... window
    3) Nothing happens. Empty browser. URL conatins full path to .pdf
    file.

    For all three PC's, in Edit > Prefs > Downloads > Download Actions >
    View & Edit Actions, there are no entries.

    Am I missing something?
    Is there something/somewhere that needs to be set so my users can
    consistently view .pdf files from within Firefox?

    Thanks,
    -Richard Vaughn

  2. Re: Problems opening .pdf files from Firefox on Linux boxes

    At Thu, 11 Oct 2007 18:41:26 -0000 Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anybody having trouble with viewing .pdf files within Firefox on a
    > Linux (FC6) box?
    >
    > I get three different results from identical PC's:
    > 1) The .pdf doc opens within Firefox (desired result)

    This means this system has the acrobat reader plugin installed (properly).

    > 2) I get the Open With.../Save To... window

    This means this system DOES NOT have the acrobat reader plugin
    installed (properly).

    > 3) Nothing happens. Empty browser. URL conatins full path to .pdf
    > file.

    This is strange. It might have a *brokenly* installed acrobat reader
    plugin installed (the plugin is failing somehow).

    > For all three PC's, in Edit > Prefs > Downloads > Download Actions >
    > View & Edit Actions, there are no entries.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > Is there something/somewhere that needs to be set so my users can
    > consistently view .pdf files from within Firefox?

    You need the acrobat reader plugin installed properly. I think you need
    what Adobe calls the Netscape 6 version of the plugin, but I think at
    one point there were two version, depeneding on which version of g++ was
    used to build FireFox/Mozilla and/or GLIBC you had installed or
    something like that. (No, I don't have the acrobat reader plugin
    installed -- my system is configured as case 2 above: I get a download
    dialog box (I loathe Adobe acrobat reader's GUI and use the old (non
    GTK/Gnome) GhostView viewer).

    > Thanks,
    > -Richard Vaughn

    heller@deepsoft.com -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk

  3. Re: Problems opening .pdf files from Firefox on Linux boxes

    In news:28db3$470e73b0$404a99a1$5046@news.news-service.com,
    Robert Heller wrote:

    >> 3) Nothing happens. Empty browser. URL conatins full path to .pdf
    >> file.

    > This is strange. It might have a *brokenly* installed acrobat reader
    > plugin installed (the plugin is failing somehow).

    Forgive me for responding to you rather than the OP, but @gmail.com is
    killfiled due to the spam there from.

    In the URL field, typing w/o quotes "aboutlugins" will show what's
    installed.

    >> Am I missing something?
    >> Is there something/somewhere that needs to be set so my users can
    >> consistently view .pdf files from within Firefox?

    Yes. The OP should please read
    http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/faqs/acr...#install-linux

  4. Re: Problems opening .pdf files from Firefox on Linux boxes

    Richard Vaughn wrote:

    > Anybody having trouble with viewing .pdf files within Firefox on a
    > Linux (FC6) box?
    >
    > I get three different results from identical PC's:
    > 1) The .pdf doc opens within Firefox (desired result)
    > 2) I get the Open With.../Save To... window
    > 3) Nothing happens. Empty browser. URL conatins full path to .pdf
    > file.
    >
    > For all three PC's, in Edit > Prefs > Downloads > Download Actions >
    > View & Edit Actions, there are no entries.
    >
    > Am I missing something?
    > Is there something/somewhere that needs to be set so my users can
    > consistently view .pdf files from within Firefox?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Richard Vaughn

    Check and see if you have Dragonegg installed. If so, remove it.

    --
    Later,
    Darrell Stec darstec@neo.rr.com

    Webpage Sorcery