Fedora 7 and cu - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora 7 and cu - Redhat ; Hi, I recently upgraded my Fedora Core 6 box to Fedora 7. Everything seemed to be working OK, but I found the script I use to redirect my phone line no longer works. It basically just uses cu (part of ...

  1. Fedora 7 and cu

    Hi,

    I recently upgraded my Fedora Core 6 box to Fedora 7.
    Everything seemed to be working OK, but I found the script I use to redirect
    my phone line no longer works. It basically just uses cu (part of the uucp
    package) to send at commands to a modem on the serial line.
    Investigating this further, I noticed that cu is no longer working.
    cu -l/dev/ttyS0 connects to the modem, but does not respond to any at
    commands, they do not even echo back. This used to work with FC6. I know
    there's nothing wrong with the modem or machine as I booted up a Ubuntu live
    cd, and cu worked from that.

    Thanks for any help,
    Scott.

  2. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    In news:13gsds7domum6ee@corp.supernews.com,
    goatBadger wrote:

    > Investigating this further, I noticed that cu is no longer working.
    > cu -l/dev/ttyS0 connects to the modem, but does not respond to any at
    > commands, they do not even echo back.

    How do you verify the successful connection, and how did you know that
    /dev/ttyS0 is the correct serial device?

  3. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    On 11 oct, 16:35, "goatBadger" wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently upgraded my Fedora Core 6 box to Fedora 7.
    > Everything seemed to be working OK, but I found the script I use to redirect
    > my phone line no longer works. It basically just uses cu (part of the uucp
    > package) to send at commands to a modem on the serial line.
    > Investigating this further, I noticed that cu is no longer working.
    > cu -l/dev/ttyS0 connects to the modem, but does not respond to any at
    > commands, they do not even echo back. This used to work with FC6. I know
    > there's nothing wrong with the modem or machine as I booted up a Ubuntu live
    > cd, and cu worked from that.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Scott.

    verify other ttyS? it can be that Fedora moved it somewhere else, I
    had IDE disks and a SCSI tape with Fedora 6 and after upgrade to
    Fedora 7 I have all scsi disks !? I am wondering If I wil upgrade when
    fedora 8 is there?
    I had script working using sudo and running from cron, under Fedora 6,
    doesn't work anymore, sudo need a tty ( Can be bypasswd in /etc/
    sudoers ) but at first nothing seems to work again!
    Seems new developpement of Fedora are worst by every release.
    Zoot

  4. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    That was what is was before in Fedore Core 6, and was successful with the
    Ubuntu live CD too.
    AT would respond OK, and I could hear it dialling with ATDT12345 etc.

    "ynotssor" wrote in message
    > In news:13gsds7domum6ee@corp.supernews.com,
    > goatBadger wrote:
    >
    >> Investigating this further, I noticed that cu is no longer working.
    >> cu -l/dev/ttyS0 connects to the modem, but does not respond to any at
    >> commands, they do not even echo back.

    > How do you verify the successful connection, and how did you know that
    > /dev/ttyS0 is the correct serial device?

  5. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    Hi,

    Thanks, but ttyS1 - S3 all say "Line in use", S0 is the only one that
    acually says "Connected.".

    Scott.

    "zoot" wrote in message
    news:1192180607.550558.66190@z24g2000prh.googlegro ups.com...
    > On 11 oct, 16:35, "goatBadger" wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I recently upgraded my Fedora Core 6 box to Fedora 7.
    >> Everything seemed to be working OK, but I found the script I use to
    >> redirect
    >> my phone line no longer works. It basically just uses cu (part of the
    >> uucp
    >> package) to send at commands to a modem on the serial line.
    >> Investigating this further, I noticed that cu is no longer working.
    >> cu -l/dev/ttyS0 connects to the modem, but does not respond to any at
    >> commands, they do not even echo back. This used to work with FC6. I
    >> know
    >> there's nothing wrong with the modem or machine as I booted up a Ubuntu
    >> live
    >> cd, and cu worked from that.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help,
    >> Scott.

    > verify other ttyS? it can be that Fedora moved it somewhere else, I
    > had IDE disks and a SCSI tape with Fedora 6 and after upgrade to
    > Fedora 7 I have all scsi disks !? I am wondering If I wil upgrade when
    > fedora 8 is there?
    > I had script working using sudo and running from cron, under Fedora 6,
    > doesn't work anymore, sudo need a tty ( Can be bypasswd in /etc/
    > sudoers ) but at first nothing seems to work again!
    > Seems new developpement of Fedora are worst by every release.
    > Zoot

  6. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    In news:13gurhkkm7verc2@corp.supernews.com,
    goatBadger wrote:

    > That was what is was before in Fedore Core 6, and was successful with
    > the Ubuntu live CD too.
    > AT would respond OK, and I could hear it dialling with ATDT12345 etc.

    Top-posting won't get you the help you're after.

  7. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    "ynotssor" wrote in message
    > In news:13gurhkkm7verc2@corp.supernews.com,
    > goatBadger wrote:
    >
    >> That was what is was before in Fedore Core 6, and was successful with
    >> the Ubuntu live CD too.
    >> AT would respond OK, and I could hear it dialling with ATDT12345 etc.

    > Top-posting won't get you the help you're after.

    Sorry, using Outlook Express, it's the default.
    I know, it's no excuse...

  8. Re: Fedora 7 and cu

    "goatBadger" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently upgraded my Fedora Core 6 box to Fedora 7.
    > Everything seemed to be working OK, but I found the script I use to
    > redirect my phone line no longer works. It basically just uses cu (part
    > of the uucp package) to send at commands to a modem on the serial line.
    > Investigating this further, I noticed that cu is no longer working.
    > cu -l/dev/ttyS0 connects to the modem, but does not respond to any at
    > commands, they do not even echo back. This used to work with FC6. I know
    > there's nothing wrong with the modem or machine as I booted up a Ubuntu
    > live cd, and cu worked from that.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Scott.

    An update to Fedora 8 test 3 fixed this, but broke my graphics card, but
    that's another story...

+ Reply to Thread