ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21 - Redhat

This is a discussion on ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21 - Redhat ; Subj: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21 I have three machines, none of them have as of yet been re-partitioned: Pentium III 600E Mhz (1 GB/ram) 1999 BIOS [2 HDD 7 partitions C- I] Athlon 2800+ 2.1 Ghz (1.5 ...

  1. ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    Subj: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    I have three machines, none of them have as of yet been re-partitioned:
    Pentium III 600E Mhz (1 GB/ram) 1999 BIOS [2 HDD 7 partitions C- I]
    Athlon 2800+ 2.1 Ghz (1.5 GB/ram) 2004 BIOS [1 HDD 2 partitions C-D]
    Athlon 850 Mhz (128 MB/ram) 2001 BIOS [1 HDD 1 partition C]

    I was able to install and run Linux 5.1 and FreeBSD 2.2.7 on the PIII
    just fine.
    However, when I attempted to install Linux 6.0 on the same machine (PIII)
    I get this error message after the probe (both auto and expert modes):

    "VFS: cannot open root device 08:21
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:21"

    This same message also appeared on both Athlons.

    I thought it maybe that it was because the partitions were not created
    for Linux yet.
    Since, when installing on the Athlons it would stop with the mount error
    I did a test
    install of Linux 5.1 on both Athlons; it also stopped during the
    installation with the same
    mount error. When doing a test install again of Linux 5.1 on the PIII it
    stopped only to tell
    me that no HDD was partition space was allocated for Linux - so that
    meant it was "successful"
    in be able to find a file system to mount.

    So I am assuming that Linux 5.1 & 6.0 cannot be installed on an Athlon?
    I even tried to install on the
    Athlon 850 with the HDD formatted with FAT, and figured it would allow
    me to reformat it. But, i should
    have just deleted the partition and started over. But, in any case both
    Linux installations give mount errors
    on both Athlons and the PIII.

    Does anyone out there have any idea of what is going on? RedHat Inc. has
    denounced Linux 5.1/6.0 as
    evil and banned to the nether regions of OS Hell; so they are not an
    option for ANY assistance whatsoever
    unless I pay them huge globs of money, and even then I won't get any
    REAL help.

    I bought 6.0 in 1999 when it came out and was never able to install it.
    I would like to now and see if I rectify what, if anything , I was doing
    wrong. Thanks in advance.

    Paul James Chatman

  2. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    J.O. Aho wrote: How many people do you see at the *.microsoft.* and *.windows.* newsgroups
    asking about how to install Microsoft Windows 1.01 on their brand new computers?

    You know there are people like that: me. I love the challenge. I'll
    never forget the student who proved his p[rofessor wrong that couldn't
    install evry OS made on one PC.
    He did it and it blew my mind away to see the boot manager screen with
    all those OSs living on one PC.

    That aside, thanks. I should have just said Red Hat 5.1 etc. Anyway, I
    had used RH 5.1 on the P3 and it worked great
    and I had so much fun with it. Since RH is more interested in whoring
    the kernel for profit (have you seen thier
    website -- GOD!!)

    J.O. Aho wrote: Assuming from your pick of newsgroups, you are using RedHat 6.0, I do not
    recommend you to use it, it's buggy and a security hazard and poorly supports
    newer hardware.

    I just want to use the last good version of RHL that was released. I
    never got 6.0
    running so I was not aware of the issues it had thanks for that.

    J.O. Aho wrote: Go to http://fedora.redhat.com and download a recent version of Fedora Core
    (new name on the free RedHat).

    Thanks, I'll check it out. But I may also check another Linux option.

  3. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    NM Sees wrote:

    >> J.O. Aho wrote: Assuming from your pick of newsgroups, you are using
    >> RedHat 6.0, I do not recommend you to use it, it's buggy and a security
    >> hazard and poorly supports newer hardware.

    > I just want to use the last good version of RHL that was released.

    RH6.0 was never a good version, X.0 was a quite beta version, X.1 had
    important fixes and version X.2 and later was stable.
    If you want to test the last good RedHat version released, you should take a
    look at RH7.3, it's rock solid, of course you should apply the updates
    provided by RedHat, but it's no longer supported, so you will need to use
    fedoralegacy.org updates on top of that, to get a almost up to date system.

    With a little bit of googling you will be able to find how to upgrade kernel
    2.4 to 2.5, the steps are the same if you want to upgrade to kernel 2.6, I
    have myself run RedHat7.3 with kernel 2.6.16, glibc 2.3.5, gcc 3.1, XFree86
    4.3 (and a lot more, all compiled with gcc3.1). It's quite a lot of work to
    keep a such system up to date, which is why I did switch to another
    distribution, but in a way I regret that I didn't stay with it, I was a lot
    more active with my computers than I'm today.

    I have some of my RPMs left that I made, but I do not have any track which are
    for which stage of my major upgrade of RH7.3 and many packages are just
    recompiled from the RawHide that later became to be RedHat9 and Fedora Core 1.

    But if you really want to dig into things, then Linux from Scratch may be a
    lot better option, as you will get a more sane setup than one that partly
    depends on gcc2.96 and partly gcc3.1. See www.linuxfromscratch.org

    --

    //Aho

  4. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

[...]

  5. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    NM Sees wrote:

    >> J.O. Aho wrote: Assuming from your pick of newsgroups, you are using
    >> RedHat 6.0, I do not recommend you to use it, it's buggy and a security
    >> hazard and poorly supports newer hardware.

    > I just want to use the last good version of RHL that was released.

    RH6.0 was never a good version, X.0 was a quite beta version, X.1 had
    important fixes and version X.2 and later was stable.
    If you want to test the last good RedHat version released, you should take a
    look at RH7.3, it's rock solid, of course you should apply the updates
    provided by RedHat, but it's no longer supported, so you will need to use
    fedoralegacy.org updates on top of that, to get a almost up to date system.

    With a little bit of googling you will be able to find how to upgrade kernel
    2.4 to 2.5, the steps are the same if you want to upgrade to kernel 2.6, I
    have myself run RedHat7.3 with kernel 2.6.16, glibc 2.3.5, gcc 3.1, XFree86
    4.3 (and a lot more, all compiled with gcc3.1). It's quite a lot of work to
    keep a such system up to date, which is why I did switch to another
    distribution, but in a way I regret that I didn't stay with it, I was a lot
    more active with my computers than I'm today.

    I have some of my RPMs left that I made, but I do not have any track which are
    for which stage of my major upgrade of RH7.3 and many packages are just
    recompiled from the RawHide that later became to be RedHat9 and Fedora Core 1.

    But if you really want to dig into things, then Linux from Scratch may be a
    lot better option, as you will get a more sane setup than one that partly
    depends on gcc2.96 and partly gcc3.1. See www.linuxfromscratch.org

    --

    //Aho

  6. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

[...]

  7. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    NM Sees wrote:

    >> J.O. Aho wrote: Assuming from your pick of newsgroups, you are using
    >> RedHat 6.0, I do not recommend you to use it, it's buggy and a security
    >> hazard and poorly supports newer hardware.

    > I just want to use the last good version of RHL that was released.

    RH6.0 was never a good version, X.0 was a quite beta version, X.1 had
    important fixes and version X.2 and later was stable.
    If you want to test the last good RedHat version released, you should take a
    look at RH7.3, it's rock solid, of course you should apply the updates
    provided by RedHat, but it's no longer supported, so you will need to use
    fedoralegacy.org updates on top of that, to get a almost up to date system.

    With a little bit of googling you will be able to find how to upgrade kernel
    2.4 to 2.5, the steps are the same if you want to upgrade to kernel 2.6, I
    have myself run RedHat7.3 with kernel 2.6.16, glibc 2.3.5, gcc 3.1, XFree86
    4.3 (and a lot more, all compiled with gcc3.1). It's quite a lot of work to
    keep a such system up to date, which is why I did switch to another
    distribution, but in a way I regret that I didn't stay with it, I was a lot
    more active with my computers than I'm today.

    I have some of my RPMs left that I made, but I do not have any track which are
    for which stage of my major upgrade of RH7.3 and many packages are just
    recompiled from the RawHide that later became to be RedHat9 and Fedora Core 1.

    But if you really want to dig into things, then Linux from Scratch may be a
    lot better option, as you will get a more sane setup than one that partly
    depends on gcc2.96 and partly gcc3.1. See www.linuxfromscratch.org

    --

    //Aho

  8. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

[...]

  9. Re: ERROR MSG: Cannot open root device 08:21

    NM Sees wrote:

    >> J.O. Aho wrote: Assuming from your pick of newsgroups, you are using
    >> RedHat 6.0, I do not recommend you to use it, it's buggy and a security
    >> hazard and poorly supports newer hardware.

    > I just want to use the last good version of RHL that was released.

    RH6.0 was never a good version, X.0 was a quite beta version, X.1 had
    important fixes and version X.2 and later was stable.
    If you want to test the last good RedHat version released, you should take a
    look at RH7.3, it's rock solid, of course you should apply the updates
    provided by RedHat, but it's no longer supported, so you will need to use
    fedoralegacy.org updates on top of that, to get a almost up to date system.

    With a little bit of googling you will be able to find how to upgrade kernel
    2.4 to 2.5, the steps are the same if you want to upgrade to kernel 2.6, I
    have myself run RedHat7.3 with kernel 2.6.16, glibc 2.3.5, gcc 3.1, XFree86
    4.3 (and a lot more, all compiled with gcc3.1). It's quite a lot of work to
    keep a such system up to date, which is why I did switch to another
    distribution, but in a way I regret that I didn't stay with it, I was a lot
    more active with my computers than I'm today.

    I have some of my RPMs left that I made, but I do not have any track which are
    for which stage of my major upgrade of RH7.3 and many packages are just
    recompiled from the RawHide that later became to be RedHat9 and Fedora Core 1.

    But if you really want to dig into things, then Linux from Scratch may be a
    lot better option, as you will get a more sane setup than one that partly
    depends on gcc2.96 and partly gcc3.1. See www.linuxfromscratch.org

    --

    //Aho

+ Reply to Thread