Adding drivers to a PXE install - Redhat

This is a discussion on Adding drivers to a PXE install - Redhat ; I install using PXE. How can I add a driver "image" during the install process as one can do when installing from CD? I'm guessing that I can put "dd" on the "append" line. And when I do that, the ...

  1. Adding drivers to a PXE install

    I install using PXE. How can I add a driver "image" during the install
    process as one can do when installing from CD?

    I'm guessing that I can put "dd" on the "append" line. And when I do that,
    the install pauses and asks whether I want to install a driver from a
    diskette.

    But how can I convince it to grab the driver from a file over the network?
    Can I use "dd=..." like I can "ks=..." to get the installation to pull the
    kickstart file from the network?

    Thanks...

    Andrew

  2. Re: Adding drivers to a PXE install

    Andrew Gideon wrote:
    > I install using PXE. How can I add a driver "image" during the
    > install process as one can do when installing from CD?
    >
    > I'm guessing that I can put "dd" on the "append" line. And when I do
    > that, the install pauses and asks whether I want to install a driver
    > from a diskette.
    >
    > But how can I convince it to grab the driver from a file over the
    > network? Can I use "dd=..." like I can "ks=..." to get the
    > installation to pull the kickstart file from the network?

    Oh, boy. This is heavily dependent on your particular installer. For RedHat
    Linux, for example, it's possible to create a custom "kickstart" file with
    the system-config-kickstart tool in recent distributions, and use that in
    your PXE setup with system-config-netboot. That kickstart file can contain
    pre-install scripts that can be used to download and pre-install drivers
    *for the kickstart kernel* to get them in place on the running system, and
    as part of a post-install step to load those drivers for the kernel on the
    *installed* system.

    This can be an adventure to write for newbies: What kind of driver are you
    trying to load? I assume not the network driver, or you might not be able to
    even start the PXE process without building a custom boot image with the
    drivers pre-loaded.

  3. Re: Adding drivers to a PXE install

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Oh, boy. This is heavily dependent on your particular installer. For
    > RedHat Linux, for example, it's possible to create a custom "kickstart"
    > file with the system-config-kickstart tool in recent distributions, and
    > use that in your PXE setup with system-config-netboot.

    I've been building my own kickstart files, but not using any tool.

    > That kickstart file
    > can contain pre-install scripts that can be used to download and
    > pre-install drivers *for the kickstart kernel* to get them in place on the
    > running system, and as part of a post-install step to load those drivers
    > for the kernel on the *installed* system.

    I'm using post-install logic already. But I don't know how to build
    pre-install logic, and I'm guessing that this is what I need. More
    accurately: I don't know what exists in the environment at the moment of
    execution of the pre-install script.

    Is there documentation of this sort of thing? I've not found it in previous
    searches.

    The Redhat documentation on Kickstart that I've found is mostly assuming use
    of that GUI. And that doesn't appear to address issues of the sort through
    which I'm trying to work.

    And even if I did use post-install logic to "install this diskette image",
    I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I can read these images by mounting
    them via a loopback, but I'm not sure what to do with the content.

    > This can be an adventure to write for newbies: What kind of driver are you
    > trying to load?

    I've an IBM x346 with a ServeRaid 7e. I'm trying to get this to work with
    RAID10. CentOS installs, but won't get past GRUB on the actual console (or
    so I assume; that's what I saw once but I've been doing all my current
    testing remotely using the serial console).

    I'm trying to install one of the "diskette images" I found on the IBM site
    at:

    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-61862

    using "append ... dd=nfs:/path/to/diskette.img ..." but - so far - no
    success. It may be that the dd directive silently fails. A pointer to the
    documentation of what options are available on the "append" line (feeding
    arguments to the installer kernel) would be useful. Again, looking for
    documentation has been of limited utility (probably because I'm not using
    the proper terms).

    I'm in the process of purchasing a RHAS license for this machine, so I've an
    "out" once the machine is supported. And Redhat support has helped me in
    network install "issues" before.

    But I'd really like to get this handled sooner than that. Besides...this is
    kind of fun, if somewhat frustrating.

    - Andrew

+ Reply to Thread