Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas - Redhat

This is a discussion on Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas - Redhat ; Today, on my first boot into FC 1 which has been working for several days now, I got a fatal error dialog box. "Application eggcups has crashed due to a fatal error. (Segmentation fault)" I tried to uninstall and re- ...

  1. Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas

    Today, on my first boot into FC 1 which has been working for several days
    now, I got a fatal error dialog box. "Application eggcups has crashed due
    to a fatal error. (Segmentation fault)" I tried to uninstall and re-
    install it using apt-get but no go. I also discovered synaptic and XMMS
    won't start up anymore though I don't know why the eggcups thing would
    cause that. Any ideas? Cold re-boot was no help.

    Is this when I upgrade to FC 4?

    I am not opposed to upgrading to FC 4; I tried this one other time. I have
    been hesitating because I don't know what kind of problems I would get into
    with having some FC 1 programs on an FC 4 system after the upgrade.

    Although I would dearly learn how to solve the eggcups problem, I would
    upgrade if that is the efficient way to whip it.

    JC

  2. Re: Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas

    Jerry Criswell wrote:

    > Today, on my first boot into FC 1 which has been working for several
    > days
    > now, I got a fatal error dialog box. "Application eggcups has crashed
    > due
    > to a fatal error. (Segmentation fault)" I tried to uninstall and re-
    > install it using apt-get but no go. I also discovered synaptic and
    > XMMS won't start up anymore though I don't know why the eggcups thing
    > would
    > cause that. Any ideas? Cold re-boot was no help.

    Sound like maybe faulty memory, try booting from the installation media
    (the first CD) and check the memory, just type memtest86 at the 'boot:'
    prompt.

    > Is this when I upgrade to FC 4?
    >
    > I am not opposed to upgrading to FC 4; I tried this one other time. I
    > have been hesitating because I don't know what kind of problems I
    > would get into with having some FC 1 programs on an FC 4 system after
    > the upgrade.
    >
    > Although I would dearly learn how to solve the eggcups problem, I
    > would upgrade if that is the efficient way to whip it.

    You should upgrade to Fedora Core 3/4 for reasons not related to eggcups
    like security, support, bug fixes, speed improvements and many other
    reasons.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted

  3. Re: Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas

    Lenard wrote in

    > Jerry Criswell wrote:
    >
    >> Today, on my first boot into FC 1 which has been working for several
    >> days
    >> now, I got a fatal error dialog box. "Application eggcups has
    >> crashed due
    >> to a fatal error. (Segmentation fault)" I tried to uninstall and re-
    >> install it using apt-get but no go. I also discovered synaptic and
    >> XMMS won't start up anymore though I don't know why the eggcups thing
    >> would
    >> cause that. Any ideas? Cold re-boot was no help.

    > Sound like maybe faulty memory, try booting from the installation
    > media (the first CD) and check the memory, just type memtest86 at the
    > 'boot:' prompt.
    >
    >> Is this when I upgrade to FC 4?
    >>
    >> I am not opposed to upgrading to FC 4; I tried this one other time.
    >> I have been hesitating because I don't know what kind of problems I
    >> would get into with having some FC 1 programs on an FC 4 system after
    >> the upgrade.
    >>
    >> Although I would dearly learn how to solve the eggcups problem, I
    >> would upgrade if that is the efficient way to whip it.

    > You should upgrade to Fedora Core 3/4 for reasons not related to
    > eggcups like security, support, bug fixes, speed improvements and many
    > other reasons.

    Or, I forgot to mention, I could upgrade to the 64 bit version also.
    Would that be an upgrade or a fresh install?

    JC

  4. Re: Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas

    On Mon, 22 Aug 2005 19:45:15 +0000, Jerry Criswell wrote:

    > Lenard wrote in
    >
    >> Jerry Criswell wrote:
    >>
    >>> Today, on my first boot into FC 1 which has been working for several
    >>> days
    >>> now, I got a fatal error dialog box. "Application eggcups has
    >>> crashed due
    >>> to a fatal error. (Segmentation fault)" I tried to uninstall and re-
    >>> install it using apt-get but no go. I also discovered synaptic and
    >>> XMMS won't start up anymore though I don't know why the eggcups thing
    >>> would
    >>> cause that. Any ideas? Cold re-boot was no help.

    >> Sound like maybe faulty memory, try booting from the installation
    >> media (the first CD) and check the memory, just type memtest86 at the
    >> 'boot:' prompt.
    >>
    >>> Is this when I upgrade to FC 4?
    >>>
    >>> I am not opposed to upgrading to FC 4; I tried this one other time.
    >>> I have been hesitating because I don't know what kind of problems I
    >>> would get into with having some FC 1 programs on an FC 4 system after
    >>> the upgrade.
    >>>
    >>> Although I would dearly learn how to solve the eggcups problem, I
    >>> would upgrade if that is the efficient way to whip it.

    >> You should upgrade to Fedora Core 3/4 for reasons not related to
    >> eggcups like security, support, bug fixes, speed improvements and many
    >> other reasons.
    >>

    > Or, I forgot to mention, I could upgrade to the 64 bit version also.
    > Would that be an upgrade or a fresh install?
    >
    > JC

    That last one would be nice to know, but I did go ahead and upgrade to FC
    4. Several changes/problems. I'll be back tomorrow

    JC

  5. Re: Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas

    Jerry Criswell wrote:

    > Or, I forgot to mention, I could upgrade to the 64 bit version also.
    > Would that be an upgrade or a fresh install?

    Is the system in question (in the original post) an x86_64 processor
    system?? If yes, then it would be best to do a clean fresh install
    (IMHO). This also provides a possible explanation about the eggcups
    segmentation fault error.

    --
    Contained within the Microsoft EULA;
    This Limited Warranty is void if failure of the Product has resulted
    from accident, abuse, misapplication, abnormal use or a virus.

  6. Re: Glitch in FC 1 and some ideas

    Lenard wrote in news:ggFOe.760$rS4.492
    @newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

    > Jerry Criswell wrote:
    >
    >> Or, I forgot to mention, I could upgrade to the 64 bit version also.
    >> Would that be an upgrade or a fresh install?

    > Is the system in question (in the original post) an x86_64 processor
    > system?? If yes, then it would be best to do a clean fresh install
    > (IMHO). This also provides a possible explanation about the eggcups
    > segmentation fault error.

    A web search has turned up an FC 4 book at Barnes & Noble, so I will go get
    that and maybe do a clean install this afternoon. Thanks for your time
    once again and I will undoubtedly be back later.

    JC

    PS: Yes, this is a 64 bit machine.

+ Reply to Thread