still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3 - Redhat

This is a discussion on still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3 - Redhat ; Hello, I'm following the release notes, but up2date although it says it's downloading the file, a find isn't finding it. I've tried with yum, and it won't get the src.rpm either. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks. Dave....

  1. still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3

    Hello,
    I'm following the release notes, but up2date although it says it's
    downloading the file, a find isn't finding it. I've tried with yum, and it
    won't get the src.rpm either. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

  2. Re: still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3

    dave wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I'm following the release notes, but up2date although it says it's
    > downloading the file, a find isn't finding it. I've tried with yum,
    > and it won't get the src.rpm either. Has anyone else had this problem?

    No, I don't use either yum or up2date (no need to). The latest kernel
    src.rpm file is; kernel-2.6.12-1.1372_FC3.src.rpm

    With a little reading of 'man rpm' you will find that you can download
    and install it at the same time. As root or equivalent type something
    along the lines of;

    rpm -ivh
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...72_FC3.src.rpm

    If you just want to download the file and install later use wget instead
    (see 'man wget' for the details);

    wget
    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...72_FC3.src.rpm

    Both are one long lines with a space after 'rpm -ivh' or 'wget' and
    before the rest of the command (the second line).

  3. Re: still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3

    dave wrote:

    > I'm following the release notes, but up2date although it says it's
    > downloading the file, a find isn't finding it. I've tried with yum, and it
    > won't get the src.rpm either. Has anyone else had this problem?

    I'm no expert,
    but I think in principle if you want to expand source RPMs,
    you should create a file .rpmmacros which says where the code should go.
    Mine reads:
    %packager Timothy Murphy
    %distribution uniTeX
    %vendor uniTeX

    %_topdir /home/tim/rpm

    %_smp_mflags -j3
    %__arch_install_post /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot

    I think the only relevant line is the one with topdir,
    which says where the code will be placed.

    But as I say, I am no expert.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  4. Re: still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3

    dave wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm following the release notes, but up2date although it says it's
    > downloading the file, a find isn't finding it. I've tried with yum, and it
    > won't get the src.rpm either. Has anyone else had this problem?
    > Thanks.
    > Dave.

    IIRC 'find' uses a database that is updated once a day.

    --
    Respectfully,

    CL Gilbert

  5. Re: still can't get kernel.src.rpm in fc3

    dave wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I'm following the release notes, but up2date although it says it's
    > downloading the file, a find isn't finding it. I've tried with yum, and it
    > won't get the src.rpm either. Has anyone else had this problem?

    I have the feeling from your earlier post that you want the source for
    the kernel you have rather than the current. The $(uname -r) trick
    offered by HASM asks for the right thing, but I don't know if it's still
    available. You may have to upgrade at this point, and use current.

    Ignore this if you're up-to-date already, you didn't give detailed
    version in the post I saw.

    --
    bill davidsen
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com