NFS Newbie - group id - Redhat

This is a discussion on NFS Newbie - group id - Redhat ; I just got NFS setup to share the users home directories amongst our servers. I have come up with a couple issues that I have been unable to resolve. I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me. For starters, when ...

  1. NFS Newbie - group id

    I just got NFS setup to share the users home directories amongst our
    servers. I have come up with a couple issues that I have been unable to
    resolve. I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me.

    For starters, when a user logs in, they get the following error:
    "Could not chdir to home directory /users/USERNAME: Permission denied"

    However, the user is placed in that directory and is able to read/write to
    that folder. Does anyone know why that error is occurring when they login?

    Also, when a user creates a new file, the owner permission is set properly,
    but it is given the GID of nfsnobody. Does anyone know why this is
    happening?

    Thank You,
    Jason Williard

  2. Re: NFS Newbie - group id

    Okay, more info on this... may be an NIS thing.

    I, apparently, did not remove the default group from /etc/groups. After I
    did, I noticed that I was left with just the GID when listing the contents
    of a directory. If I run "ypcat group" or "ypcat group.bygid" I get
    nothing. However, the group.bygid exists in /var/yp/DOMAIN of the master
    server. Any idea why this info isn't being propagated?

    Thank You,
    Jason Williard

    "Jason Williard" wrote in message
    >I just got NFS setup to share the users home directories amongst our
    >servers. I have come up with a couple issues that I have been unable to
    >resolve. I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me.
    >
    > For starters, when a user logs in, they get the following error:
    > "Could not chdir to home directory /users/USERNAME: Permission denied"
    >
    > However, the user is placed in that directory and is able to read/write to
    > that folder. Does anyone know why that error is occurring when they
    > login?
    >
    > Also, when a user creates a new file, the owner permission is set
    > properly, but it is given the GID of nfsnobody. Does anyone know why this
    > is happening?
    >

    > Thank You,
    > Jason Williard

  3. Re: NFS Newbie - group id

    Um... nevermind I must not have run a make after I added the group.
    Whoops. I'm still getting the original issues. (New files get GID of
    nfsnobody and the permission denied error when logging in)

    > Okay, more info on this... may be an NIS thing.
    >
    > I, apparently, did not remove the default group from /etc/groups. After I
    > did, I noticed that I was left with just the GID when listing the contents
    > of a directory. If I run "ypcat group" or "ypcat group.bygid" I get
    > nothing. However, the group.bygid exists in /var/yp/DOMAIN of the master
    > server. Any idea why this info isn't being propagated?
    >
    > Thank You,
    > Jason Williard
    >

    > "Jason Williard" wrote in message
    >>I just got NFS setup to share the users home directories amongst our
    >>servers. I have come up with a couple issues that I have been unable to
    >>resolve. I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me.
    >>
    >> For starters, when a user logs in, they get the following error:
    >> "Could not chdir to home directory /users/USERNAME: Permission denied"
    >>
    >> However, the user is placed in that directory and is able to read/write
    >> to that folder. Does anyone know why that error is occurring when they
    >> login?
    >>
    >> Also, when a user creates a new file, the owner permission is set
    >> properly, but it is given the GID of nfsnobody. Does anyone know why
    >> this is happening?
    >>

    >> Thank You,
    >> Jason Williard

  4. Re: NFS Newbie - group id

    I suspect you have not run authconfig on the client. Set up the client
    to use NIS by running authconfig. Select "Use NIS" under User
    Information. Select the apprpriate types of authentications you are
    using under "Authentication." My guess is you will select "Use MD5
    Passwords" and "Use Shadow Passwords." Tab down to the bottom of the
    first display and click the "Next" button. On the next display enter
    the NIS domain you set on the server. Click OK.

    This will make the appropriate changes in the following files:
    /etc/sysconfig/network
    /etc/yp.conf
    /etc/nsswitch.conf
    /etc/pamd.system-auth
    /etc/sysconfig/authconfig

    You may want to first make copies of the above files and diff the new
    against the saved copies to see what happened (and to recover if
    something went wrong).

    Jason Williard wrote:
    > Um... nevermind I must not have run a make after I added the group.
    > Whoops. I'm still getting the original issues. (New files get GID of
    > nfsnobody and the permission denied error when logging in)
    >

    > "Jason Williard" wrote in message
    >
    >>Okay, more info on this... may be an NIS thing.
    >>
    >>I, apparently, did not remove the default group from /etc/groups. After I
    >>did, I noticed that I was left with just the GID when listing the contents
    >>of a directory. If I run "ypcat group" or "ypcat group.bygid" I get
    >>nothing. However, the group.bygid exists in /var/yp/DOMAIN of the master
    >>server. Any idea why this info isn't being propagated?
    >>
    >>Thank You,
    >>Jason Williard
    >>

    >>"Jason Williard" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I just got NFS setup to share the users home directories amongst our
    >>>servers. I have come up with a couple issues that I have been unable to
    >>>resolve. I'm hoping someone has some ideas for me.
    >>>
    >>>For starters, when a user logs in, they get the following error:
    >>> "Could not chdir to home directory /users/USERNAME: Permission denied"
    >>>
    >>>However, the user is placed in that directory and is able to read/write
    >>>to that folder. Does anyone know why that error is occurring when they
    >>>login?
    >>>
    >>>Also, when a user creates a new file, the owner permission is set
    >>>properly, but it is given the GID of nfsnobody. Does anyone know why
    >>>this is happening?
    >>>

    >>>Thank You,
    >>>Jason Williard

+ Reply to Thread