What is a lnk File? - Redhat

This is a discussion on What is a lnk File? - Redhat ; Subject is the question. Someone sent me a xyz.tar.gz file, which I downloaded to a zip drive on WinXP. When I copy the file into linux it becomes xyz.tar.gz. What's that about? -- Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: What is a lnk File?

  1. What is a lnk File?

    Subject is the question. Someone sent me a xyz.tar.gz file, which I downloaded
    to a zip drive on WinXP. When I copy the file into linux it becomes xyz.tar.gz.
    What's that about?
    --
    Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:


  2. Re: What is a lnk File?

    On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:32:20 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    > Subject is the question. Someone sent me a xyz.tar.gz file, which I
    > downloaded to a zip drive on WinXP. When I copy the file into linux
    > it becomes xyz.tar.gz. What's that about?


    fix Mozilla to wrap at 72 chars. Some people will not reply if they
    have to reformat your question.

    the tar indicates a tar archive. the gz indicates it has be gnu zipped
    to compress it.

    to unpack it use tar.
    man tar for possible switches.


    using how untar tar.gz to find working examples found in the following
    url I get

    Results 1 - 10 of 3,300 for how untar tar.gz group:*linux*. (0.24
    seconds)


    Please bookmark the following, very large,
    Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:

    http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    key word(s) in the first box
    *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    asterisks around linux, pick English

    If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

  3. Re: What is a lnk File?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:32:20 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >
    >>Subject is the question. Someone sent me a xyz.tar.gz file, which I
    >>downloaded to a zip drive on WinXP. When I copy the file into linux
    >>it becomes xyz.tar.gz. What's that about?

    >
    >
    > fix Mozilla to wrap at 72 chars. Some people will not reply if they
    > have to reformat your question.
    >
    > the tar indicates a tar archive. the gz indicates it has be gnu zipped
    > to compress it.
    >
    > to unpack it use tar.
    > man tar for possible switches.
    >
    >
    > using how untar tar.gz to find working examples found in the following
    > url I get
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of 3,300 for how untar tar.gz group:*linux*. (0.24
    > seconds)
    >
    >
    > Please bookmark the following, very large,
    > Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    > key word(s) in the first box
    > *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    > asterisks around linux, pick English
    >
    > If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    > http://www.google.com/help/refinesearch.html

    I omitted the .lnk. I meant to say that it becomes xyz.tar.gz.lnk. What's the
    ..lnk suffix for? I'm familiar with tar and gz.

    I've posted 1320 message to NGs in 2.8 years and no one has requested I change
    to 72 chars. I've sent 4000+ msgs a year to friends, lists and so on without
    anyone worrying about 72 vs 80.

    --
    Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

  4. Re: What is a lnk File?

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:13:48 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    > Bit Twister wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:32:20 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >>
    >>> Subject is the question. Someone sent me a xyz.tar.gz file, which I downloaded
    >>> to a zip drive on WinXP. When I copy the file into linux it becomes xyz.tar.gz.

    >>
    >>
    >> fix Mozilla to wrap at 72 chars. Some people will not reply if they
    >> have to reformat your question.
    >>
    >> the tar indicates a tar archive. the gz indicates it has be gnu zipped
    >> to compress it.
    >>
    >> to unpack it use tar.
    >> man tar for possible switches.
    >>
    >>
    >> using how untar tar.gz to find working examples found in the following
    >> url I get
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of 3,300 for how untar tar.gz group:*linux*. (0.24
    >> seconds)
    >>
    >>
    >> Please bookmark the following, very large,
    >> Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:
    >>
    >> http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >> key word(s) in the first box
    >> *linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    >> asterisks around linux, pick English
    >>
    >> If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    >> http://www.google.com/help/refinesfearch.html

    > I omitted the .lnk. I meant to say that it becomes xyz.tar.gz.lnk. What's the
    > .lnk suffix for?


    Sounding like a Micro$not news group question instead of a linux
    newsgroup question.
    What M$ app are you using to copy the gz "into linux"

    Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    Without knowing what commands entered where, it would be a SWAG.

    > I'm familiar with tar and gz.
    >
    > I've posted 1320 message to NGs in 2.8 years and no one has requested I change
    > to 72 chars. I've sent 4000+ msgs a year to friends, lists and so on without
    > anyone worrying about 72 vs 80.


    Really only hurts when the indention level indicators get a little
    deep during Usenet postings replies. Look at the top of this post is see
    effects of the indention level indicator.

    Like I said, _some people_ will not respond if they have to reformat the
    post.

    Sorry it too much trouble to set wrap at 72 char.


  5. Re: What is a lnk File?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 03:13:48 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >
    >>Bit Twister wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:32:20 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Subject is the question. Someone sent me a xyz.tar.gz file, which I downloaded
    >>>>to a zip drive on WinXP. When I copy the file into linux it becomes xyz.tar.gz.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>fix Mozilla to wrap at 72 chars. Some people will not reply if they
    >>>have to reformat your question.
    >>>
    >>>the tar indicates a tar archive. the gz indicates it has be gnu zipped
    >>>to compress it.
    >>>
    >>>to unpack it use tar.
    >>>man tar for possible switches.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>using how untar tar.gz to find working examples found in the following
    >>>url I get
    >>>
    >>>Results 1 - 10 of 3,300 for how untar tar.gz group:*linux*. (0.24
    >>>seconds)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Please bookmark the following, very large,
    >>>Frequently Asked Questions (faq) Search engine:
    >>>
    >>>http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search
    >>>key word(s) in the first box
    >>>*linux* in Newsgroup box. You need to use the two
    >>> asterisks around linux, pick English
    >>>
    >>>If you want/need more control over the first box search,
    >>>http://www.google.com/help/refinesfearch.html

    >>
    >>I omitted the .lnk. I meant to say that it becomes xyz.tar.gz.lnk. What's the
    >>.lnk suffix for?

    >
    >
    > Sounding like a Micro$not news group question instead of a linux
    > newsgroup question.
    > What M$ app are you using to copy the gz "into linux"
    >
    > Please read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > Without knowing what commands entered where, it would be a SWAG.
    >
    >
    >>I'm familiar with tar and gz.
    >>
    >>I've posted 1320 message to NGs in 2.8 years and no one has requested I change
    >>to 72 chars. I've sent 4000+ msgs a year to friends, lists and so on without
    >>anyone worrying about 72 vs 80.

    >
    >
    > Really only hurts when the indention level indicators get a little
    > deep during Usenet postings replies. Look at the top of this post is see
    > effects of the indention level indicator.
    >
    > Like I said, _some people_ will not respond if they have to reformat the
    > post.
    >
    > Sorry it too much trouble to set wrap at 72 char.
    >

    It was a cp command from Linux, Feodra 2.6.9 Core 3. Yes, maybe going to a Win
    group is a good idea.

    This group (generally the comp linux groups) in particular seems to go off the
    deep end on protocol. Here's another interesting observation I've made about the
    Linux comp groups. It's far more likely that a non-U.S. respondent to a post
    will make some reference to protocol and other similar content quirkiness (post
    on top vs post on bottom, ...) than someone based in the U.S. They just simply
    get to the point, and answer the question. I happen to like 80 for my reasons,
    and if someone doesn't like it, well OK. I did get a kick out of a recent post
    that I made where someone accused me of wasting his time because he thought I
    didn't include enough information. (In fact, I posted precisely info to what I
    wanted an answer to.) He and others then went on in the thread to dabble in all
    sorts or unrelated subjects that had not a lot to do even with Linux. Ah, such
    is life on the internet, or, at least, NGs.

    --
    Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

  6. Re: What is a lnk File?

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:24:50 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >>

    > It was a cp command from Linux, Feodra 2.6.9 Core 3.


    I see you failed to read the provided smart question url and failed to provide
    the command used with results of the command.

    So you are saying you did a

    cp /mnt/somewhere/xyz.tar.gz /somewhere/else/xyz.tar.gz
    and a
    ls -a xyz*
    displayed xyz.tar.gz.lnk ?

    > Yes, maybe going to a Win group is a good idea.


    Only if /mnt/somewhere/xyz.tar.gz is realy /mnt/somewhere/xyz.tar.gz.lnk

    > This group (generally the comp linux groups) in particular seems to go off the
    > deep end on protocol.


    Guessing that is what protocol is for.

    > I did get a kick out of a recent post that I made where someone accused
    > me of wasting his time because he thought I didn't include enough information.


    I CAN RELATE TO THAT. So far you have provide _no information_ which is
    required to troubleshoot the problem.

    You realy need to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

  7. Re: What is a lnk File?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 11:24:50 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >
    >>It was a cp command from Linux, Feodra 2.6.9 Core 3.

    >
    >
    > I see you failed to read the provided smart question url and failed to provide
    > the command used with results of the command.
    >
    > So you are saying you did a
    >
    > cp /mnt/somewhere/xyz.tar.gz /somewhere/else/xyz.tar.gz
    > and a
    > ls -a xyz*
    > displayed xyz.tar.gz.lnk ?
    >
    >
    >>Yes, maybe going to a Win group is a good idea.

    >
    >
    > Only if /mnt/somewhere/xyz.tar.gz is realy /mnt/somewhere/xyz.tar.gz.lnk
    >
    >
    >>This group (generally the comp linux groups) in particular seems to go off the
    >>deep end on protocol.

    >
    >
    > Guessing that is what protocol is for.
    >
    >
    >>I did get a kick out of a recent post that I made where someone accused
    >>me of wasting his time because he thought I didn't include enough information.

    >
    >
    > I CAN RELATE TO THAT. So far you have provide _no information_ which is
    > required to troubleshoot the problem.
    >
    > You realy need to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    Hmmm, how about this. For some reason or other, the file was copied to the WinXP
    zip drive as a shortcut. I've now copied the entire file to the drive, and will
    try with Linux shortly.

    We differ on our opinion about the amount of info provided. To warm you to the
    'philosophical' side of the subject, let me give you this puzzle to work on.
    I'll post the answer tomorrow, and also why I'm posting it, in case others have
    trouble with information content and quantity. Which, BTW, seems to be a fall
    back position for lots of people on these comp linux groups. I'm thinking here
    of the oft posted response, "...but you didn't provide enough information." It's
    far too easily used here.

    A train leaves from Boston to New York. An hour later, a train leaves from
    New York to Boston. The two trains are going exactly the same speed.
    Which train will be closer to Boston when they meet?

    --
    Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

  8. Re: What is a lnk File?

    On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 14:29:46 GMT, W. Watson wrote:

    >
    > We differ on our opinion about the amount of info provided.
    > in case others have trouble with information content and quantity. Which, BTW, seems to be a fall
    > back position for lots of people on these comp linux groups. I'm thinking here
    > of the oft posted response, "...but you didn't provide enough information." It's
    > far too easily used here.


    No it is not. Sorry you have yet to read the provided url about smart questions.
    You did not have the knowledge to troubleshoot the problem so how in HELL can YOU decide what information is needed.

    Some people try to get you to learn how to troubleshoot the problem by trying to get you into a logical way of thinking which allows you to help yourself. That information will also help the lurkers to help themselves.


  9. Re: What is a lnk File?

    Bit Twister wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 14:29:46 GMT, W. Watson wrote:
    >
    >
    >> We differ on our opinion about the amount of info provided. in case others
    >> have trouble with information content and quantity. Which, BTW, seems to be
    >> a fall back position for lots of people on these comp linux groups. I'm
    >> thinking here of the oft posted response, "...but you didn't provide enough
    >> information." It's far too easily used here.

    >
    >
    > No it is not. Sorry you have yet to read the provided url about smart
    > questions. You did not have the knowledge to troubleshoot the problem so how
    > in HELL can YOU decide what information is needed.

    Likewise.
    >
    > Some people try to get you to learn how to troubleshoot the problem by trying
    > to get you into a logical way of thinking which allows you to help yourself.
    > That information will also help the lurkers to help themselves.

    Logical? If only you knew... Bye.
    >


    --
    Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA)
    (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time)
    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

+ Reply to Thread