HELP WITH FTP - Redhat

This is a discussion on HELP WITH FTP - Redhat ; I'm a newbie to Linux and looking for some friendly advice. I would like to setup FTP on Linux. (FEDORA) My question is how can i set up FTP with just virtual users instead of creating system users for everybody ...

  1. HELP WITH FTP

    I'm a newbie to Linux and looking for some friendly advice.
    I would like to setup FTP on Linux. (FEDORA)

    My question is how can i set up FTP with just virtual users instead of
    creating system users for everybody that I want to have FTP in?

    Also is there any recommended software that can do what I describe and
    is very easy to use for a newbie?

    Does it have a GUI?

    I would also like the virtual users that log in via FTP to only have
    access to 1 directory that I specify. Nothing else. They should not
    be able to browse outside their directory, but can have read + write
    to their own.

    Help!

  2. Re: HELP WITH FTP

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:31:59 -0400, clark wrote:

    >I'm a newbie to Linux and looking for some friendly advice.
    >I would like to setup FTP on Linux. (FEDORA)
    >
    >My question is how can i set up FTP with just virtual users instead of
    >creating system users for everybody that I want to have FTP in?

    Most ftp daemons support, via pam settings, the /etc/ftpusers list of
    users not allowed ftp access. You can check this by looking at your
    /etc/pam.d/ftp settings to confirm having a single line like...

    auth required /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user
    sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed

    I typically create the /etc/ftpusers file with commands like...

    cd /etc
    cat passwd | cut -d: -f1 >ftpusers

    Then edit the ftpusers file and remove the user(s) who should have ftp
    access. Leave the abstract users (like root/bin/daemon/...) as you
    don't want them actually having a ftp session.

    >Also is there any recommended software that can do what I describe and
    >is very easy to use for a newbie?

    ummm... You need to get very familiar with whichever ftp daemon you use,
    for security reasons. There are several good ftp daemons. proftp is
    good and has pretty easy configuration settings. It's also pretty well
    documented.

    >Does it have a GUI?
    >
    >I would also like the virtual users that log in via FTP to only have
    >access to 1 directory that I specify. Nothing else. They should not
    >be able to browse outside their directory, but can have read + write
    >to their own.

    proftp has a chroot feature directly. Other packages can be setup into a
    chroot jail, but it's a bit more setup.

    Brad
    --
    "Laughter is good medicine and it has no bad side effects."
    Unknown

+ Reply to Thread