Move FC3 To Another HDD - Redhat

This is a discussion on Move FC3 To Another HDD - Redhat ; Can anybody point me to a HowTo or directions on adding a HDD to a dual boot system ? I have a Win98/FC3 dual boot system on a 40 Gb HDD using Grub as the bootloader, I want to add ...

  1. Move FC3 To Another HDD

    Can anybody point me to a HowTo or directions on adding a HDD to a dual boot
    system ?

    I have a Win98/FC3 dual boot system on a 40 Gb HDD using Grub as the
    bootloader, I want to add another 40 Gb HDD and move FC3 over to the new
    drive so that I have a HDD for each OS.

    I have a idea about how to move the FC3 file system over to the new HDD ,
    but I really need to follow a set of instructions just in case I miss
    something and I am unable to boot into any of the OS.

    Thanks.

    System specs
    CPU Intel 1Ghz
    Ram 512 Mb
    Hdd 40 Gb Seagate
    Win98 -> 20 Gb
    FC3 ->20Gb -> workstation setup , swap 512 Mb , / 19 Gb

    --
    ------------------------------------
    Most people are like Slinkies , they are not useful for very much , but they

    Sandgroper
    ------------------------------------
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

  2. Re: Move FC3 To Another HDD

    Sandgroper wrote:

    > Can anybody point me to a HowTo or directions on adding a HDD to a dual
    > boot system ?

    There is a pretty good Hard-Disk-Upgrade HOWTO (or mini-HOWTO)
    (in the standard LDP HOWTOs).

    When I last looked it assumed you were using LILO,
    but grub should be much the same,
    except that you need to say something like "grub-install --recheck /dev/hda"
    to make sure it understands your new disk setup.

    > I have a Win98/FC3 dual boot system on a 40 Gb HDD using Grub as the
    > bootloader, I want to add another 40 Gb HDD and move FC3 over to the new
    > drive so that I have a HDD for each OS.

    Should be no problem.
    40GB seems very modest for a new disk.

    > I have a idea about how to move the FC3 file system over to the new HDD ,
    > but I really need to follow a set of instructions just in case I miss
    > something and I am unable to boot into any of the OS.

    Basically, you need to edit /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf
    to reflect the new arrangement.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  3. Re: Move FC3 To Another HDD

    ,
    > > but I really need to follow a set of instructions just in case I miss
    > > something and I am unable to boot into any of the OS.

    > Basically, you need to edit /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf
    > to reflect the new arrangement.

    Thanks , I will check out the HOWTOs

    Yeah , the 40Gb HDDs are about the right size for what I need as I don't do
    much downloading or adding much software , and the cost of them are really
    good at the moment in Aust , it costs about $AUS 70 for a 40 Gb HDD

    I originally set up both of my machines each with a 40 Gb HDD , and now I
    have got an another 2 40 Gb HDDs , one is already installed and I am going
    to install the other one soon.

    --
    Most people are like Slinkies , they are not useful for very much , but they
    make you smile when you push them down the stairs.

    Sandgroper
    Remove KNICKERS to Email
    steveray@KNICKERSiinet.net.au

+ Reply to Thread