Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x? - Redhat ; I think I'd like to try out Fedora. Which core or whatever supports the 2.4.x kernel? Where do I get the CDs? -- Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr ...

  1. Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    I think I'd like to try out Fedora. Which core or whatever supports the 2.4.x
    kernel? Where do I get the CDs?
    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

  2. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    begin On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:22:51 +0000, W. Watson wrote:

    > I think I'd like to try out Fedora. Which core or whatever supports the 2.4.x
    > kernel? Where do I get the CDs?

    Fedora Core 3

    Try linuxiso.org

    http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=64

    --
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  3. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    Baho Utot wrote:

    > begin On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:22:51 +0000, W. Watson wrote:
    >
    >> I think I'd like to try out Fedora. Which core or whatever supports
    >> the 2.4.x kernel? Where do I get the CDs?

    > Fedora Core 3

    The Fedora Core 3 default kernel series is 2.6 (kernel-2.6.9-1.667).
    Fedora Core 1 was the first and only Fedora Core series which was built
    with a 2.4 series kernel and is available at;

    http://fedora.redhat.com/ and http://www.fedoralegacy.org/

    They can be purchased from places like Cheapbytes for a small amount
    also; http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010948.html

  4. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    begin On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:09:40 +0000, Lenard wrote:

    > Baho Utot wrote:
    >
    >> begin On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:22:51 +0000, W. Watson wrote:
    >>
    >>> I think I'd like to try out Fedora. Which core or whatever supports
    >>> the 2.4.x kernel? Where do I get the CDs?

    >> Fedora Core 3

    > The Fedora Core 3 default kernel series is 2.6 (kernel-2.6.9-1.667).
    > Fedora Core 1 was the first and only Fedora Core series which was built
    > with a 2.4 series kernel and is available at;
    >
    > http://fedora.redhat.com/ and http://www.fedoralegacy.org/
    >
    > They can be purchased from places like Cheapbytes for a small amount
    > also; http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010948.html

    Yes FC1 and FC2 was 2.4 indeed but I thought that you could install FC3
    with 2.4 or 2.6.

    Anyway you can fetch all the Fedora Core versions from 1 to 4 at
    linuxiso.org

    --
    Tayo'y Mga Pinoy

  5. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    Baho Utot wrote:

    > Yes FC1 and FC2 was 2.4 indeed but I thought that you could install
    > FC3 with 2.4 or 2.6.

    No, FC2 was released with a 2.6.5 kernel. And no again, FC3 does not
    have a choice to install a 2.4 kernel. While it is possible to build
    and install a 2.4 kernel in FC2-4 it's not worth it, far to many other
    package changes are required to make it work.

  6. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    Lenard wrote:

    > Baho Utot wrote:
    >

    >>begin On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 14:22:51 +0000, W. Watson wrote:
    >>

    >>>I think I'd like to try out Fedora. Which core or whatever supports
    >>>the 2.4.x kernel? Where do I get the CDs?

    >>Fedora Core 3

    > The Fedora Core 3 default kernel series is 2.6 (kernel-2.6.9-1.667).
    > Fedora Core 1 was the first and only Fedora Core series which was built
    > with a 2.4 series kernel and is available at;
    >
    > http://fedora.redhat.com/ and http://www.fedoralegacy.org/
    >
    > They can be purchased from places like Cheapbytes for a small amount
    > also; http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010948.html

    It looks like I need to get FC1 and FC3.

    When I go to cheapbytes and search on fedora, I get 28 hits. What do I need to
    get started with a reasonably small amount of fuss? I see, (I want CDs):

    4. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Full Set $ 12.99
    5. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set $ 6.99

    and
    19. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Full Set $ 15.99
    20. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Install Set $ 8.99
    21. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Speakup Set $ 8.99

    I'm sure the procedure for creating Linux from these sources is much different
    than installing a commercial version of RH Linux. I would guess that many
    components, if not all, need to be compiled. Do these CDs provide documentation
    on how to do this?

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

  7. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    W. Watson wrote:

    > It looks like I need to get FC1 and FC3.
    >
    > When I go to cheapbytes and search on fedora, I get 28 hits. What do I
    > need to get started with a reasonably small amount of fuss? I see, (I
    > want CDs):
    >
    > 4. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Full Set $ 12.99
    > 5. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set $ 6.99

    The Full Set has as part of the set the Install Set....

    > and
    > 19. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Full Set $ 15.99
    > 20. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Install Set $ 8.99
    > 21. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Speakup Set $ 8.99

    Same here, so you only really need items 4 and 19, or if you want maybe
    21 in addition.

    > I'm sure the procedure for creating Linux from these sources is much
    > different than installing a commercial version of RH Linux. I would
    > guess that many components, if not all, need to be compiled. Do these
    > CDs provide documentation on how to do this?

    Not really, each version is ready for installation, no compiling needed.
    The Full sets are the Installation CD's (the disc[x].iso) and the
    source rpm CD's (the SRPMS-disc[x].iso) downloaded and burned to CD.
    You can build the same sets of the CD's (items 4 and 19) yourself by
    downloading the ISO images then burning the images to CD from
    Fedora-Redhat yourself.

  8. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    Lenard wrote:

    > W. Watson wrote:
    >

    >>It looks like I need to get FC1 and FC3.
    >>
    >>When I go to cheapbytes and search on fedora, I get 28 hits. What do I
    >>need to get started with a reasonably small amount of fuss? I see, (I
    >>want CDs):
    >>
    >>4. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Full Set $ 12.99
    >>5. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set $ 6.99

    > The Full Set has as part of the set the Install Set....
    >

    >>and
    >>19. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Full Set $ 15.99
    >>20. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Install Set $ 8.99
    >>21. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Speakup Set $ 8.99

    > Same here, so you only really need items 4 and 19, or if you want maybe
    > 21 in addition.
    >

    >>I'm sure the procedure for creating Linux from these sources is much
    >>different than installing a commercial version of RH Linux. I would
    >>guess that many components, if not all, need to be compiled. Do these
    >>CDs provide documentation on how to do this?
    >>

    > Not really, each version is ready for installation, no compiling needed.
    > The Full sets are the Installation CD's (the disc[x].iso) and the
    > source rpm CD's (the SRPMS-disc[x].iso) downloaded and burned to CD.
    > You can build the same sets of the CD's (items 4 and 19) yourself by
    > downloading the ISO images then burning the images to CD from
    > Fedora-Redhat yourself.

    Thanks. What are the "SpeakUp Set" and "Install Set"? I see an "Updates", #1
    selection for Core 3. What's that about? Do I need it. I don't see and "Updates"
    for Core 1. I guess it has reached its end, so has no updates?

    I only have a 30K baud modem for internet connections. Some day someone may
    offer as broadband link out here.

    Obz Site: 39 15' 7" N, 121 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

    "Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

    Web Page:

  9. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    W. Watson wrote:

    > Thanks. What are the "SpeakUp Set" and "Install Set"? I see an
    > "Updates", #1 selection for Core 3. What's that about? Do I need it. I
    > don't see and "Updates" for Core 1. I guess it has reached its end, so
    > has no updates?

    Answering your questions in order;

    1. The "SpeakUp Set" is a special version of the "Install Set" designed
    for blind computer uses. It not needed unless your blind or curious.

    2. The Install Set" is just the four (binary) CD's you need to install
    Fedora Core 3, it does not have the four source CD's in the set, the
    "Full Set" does have all eight (four binary and four source [SRPMS])
    CD's.

    3. The FC3 Updates Set (item # 7 on my search, item one is the DVD of
    the same) is a good idea to have, it will save you plenty of time
    updating since it is all the latest updates (both binary and source) as
    of June 6, 2005 for FC3.

    4. I guess nobody has taken the time to download and burn a Fedora Core
    1 Update Set. The updates are available and maybe some other supplier
    has an FC1 update set available. The updates for FC1 are available at
    (and many other places);

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...ore/updates/1/

    http://download.fedoralegacy.org/fedora/1/updates/

    Learn how to use yum or apt-get or up2date to update Fedora Core 1 and
    let it run over-night. The applications and intructions for this are
    available at the Fedora Legacy site; http://www.fedoralegacy.org/docs/

    # HowTo for using apt on Fedora Core 1
    # HowTo for using yum 2.x on Fedora Core 1
    # HowTo for using Fedora Core 1 up2date

    From time to time Fedora Legacy releases updates for FC1 and other
    versions of Redhat Linux and Fedora. The lastest updates for FC1 was
    released on 07/29/2005, just a few days ago!

  10. Re: Which Fedora for Kernel 2.4.x?

    W. Watson wrote:
    > Lenard wrote:
    >
    >> Baho Utot wrote:

    >>> Fedora Core 3

    >> The Fedora Core 3 default kernel series is 2.6 (kernel-2.6.9-1.667).
    >> Fedora Core 1 was the first and only Fedora Core series which was built
    >> with a 2.4 series kernel and is available at;
    >>
    >> http://fedora.redhat.com/ and http://www.fedoralegacy.org/
    >>
    >> They can be purchased from places like Cheapbytes for a small amount
    >> also; http://cart.cheapbytes.com/cgi-bin/cart/0070010948.html
    >>

    > It looks like I need to get FC1 and FC3.
    >
    > When I go to cheapbytes and search on fedora, I get 28 hits. What do I
    > need to get started with a reasonably small amount of fuss? I see, (I
    > want CDs):
    >
    > 4. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Full Set $ 12.99
    > 5. CheapBytes Fedora Linux 1 Install Set $ 6.99
    >
    > and
    > 19. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Full Set $ 15.99
    > 20. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Install Set $ 8.99
    > 21. CheapBytes Linux Fedora Core 3 Speakup Set $ 8.99
    >
    > I'm sure the procedure for creating Linux from these sources is much
    > different than installing a commercial version of RH Linux. I would
    > guess that many components, if not all, need to be compiled. Do these
    > CDs provide documentation on how to do this?

    Let me share a few thoughts here, first I would go with at least FC3,
    the security updates are still available for that. Using FC1 will
    require that you build new versions of things and track security fixes,
    as opposed to just D/L the fixed versions.

    Second, you don't need to compile anything, you can just install it.
    Which is good, because building everything from source takes longer than
    you want to contemplate, even on a four-way Xeon with 4GB RAM and fast
    SCSI disk.

    If you want a maintained 2.4 system, you might look at whitebox Linux
    (www.whiteboxlinux.org) which is based on Redhat Enterprise 3.0, and
    will have errata through Oct 2008. However, using FC[34] isn't a bad
    alternative. The 2.4 kernel is in maintenence mode, unless you have a
    particular need for it I would move on.

    --
    bill davidsen
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com