Maximum RAM per process on x86_64? - Redhat

This is a discussion on Maximum RAM per process on x86_64? - Redhat ; I thought that AMD64 and EM64T offered >4GB addressing. However, redhat's configuration homepage shows otherwise: http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration ES system limits (all architectures) RHEL2.1 RHEL3 RHEL4 Maximum physical CPUs 2 2 2 Maximum memory 4GB 8GB 16GB Does this mean a process/job ...

  1. Maximum RAM per process on x86_64?

    I thought that AMD64 and EM64T offered >4GB addressing.
    However, redhat's configuration homepage shows otherwise:

    http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration

    ES system limits (all architectures) RHEL2.1 RHEL3 RHEL4
    Maximum physical CPUs 2 2 2
    Maximum memory 4GB 8GB 16GB

    Does this mean a process/job under RHEL3 (for AMD64), can
    only address a maximum of 8GB of RAM?!?

    Will the O/S even recognize/use more than that amount?

  2. Re: Maximum RAM per process on x86_64?

    In article , Linuz wrote:
    > I thought that AMD64 and EM64T offered >4GB addressing.
    > However, redhat's configuration homepage shows otherwise:
    >
    > http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/configuration
    >

    > ES system limits (all architectures) RHEL2.1 RHEL3 RHEL4
    > Maximum physical CPUs 2 2 2
    > Maximum memory 4GB 8GB 16GB
    >
    > Does this mean a process/job under RHEL3 (for AMD64), can
    > only address a maximum of 8GB of RAM?!?
    >
    > Will the O/S even recognize/use more than that amount?

    That's one heckuva confusing page. If you look lower, they have
    a section on "Maximum configurations", where the max memory for AMD64/EM64T
    is listed as 64GB. I think perhaps they're saying you have to buy the
    AS version to get support for configurations "bigger" than those you quoted.

    --
    Joshua Baker-LePain
    Department of Biomedical Engineering

+ Reply to Thread