Problem with SCSI machine - Redhat

This is a discussion on Problem with SCSI machine - Redhat ; I have a SCSI machine, a Pentium-3 with an Asus P2B-LS motherboard, with in-built Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter, and 2 SCSI disks, to which I have recently added a large IDE disk for archiving. I've never been able to ...

  1. Problem with SCSI machine

    I have a SCSI machine,
    a Pentium-3 with an Asus P2B-LS motherboard,
    with in-built Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter,
    and 2 SCSI disks,
    to which I have recently added a large IDE disk for archiving.

    I've never been able to get any kernel that comes with
    any version of Fedora to boot on this machine.
    In fact, I think the last Redhat kernel that booted was RH-8.2 .

    Since then I have been running a compiled kernel
    with SCSI built-in (as opposed to a module),
    and have upgraded to each distribution as it came along.

    This has worked perfectly -
    I'm currently running linux-2.6.12 under FC-4.
    But I'd like to have the possibility of installing Fedora
    instead of upgrading.

    As far as I can see, there is no attempt to load the aic7xxx driver
    when I boot one of the distribution kernels
    (currently vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
    even though I have
    --------------------------------
    alias scsi_hostadaptor aic7xxx
    alias scsi-hostadaptor aic7xxx
    alias scsi aic7xxx
    # pre-install aic7xxx modprobe first_module_name
    --------------------------------
    in /etc/modprobe.conf (and also in /etc/modules.conf).
    [It does not seem to make any difference
    if the last "pre-install" line is included.]

    I tried running
    "mkinitrd --with=aic7xxx initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4"
    and installing the new initrd.
    As far as I could see, the kernel did now install the aic7xxx module
    but it did not seem to look for the actual SCSI disks.

    A couple of subsidiary questions:

    (1) I tried sending the kernel logs to another machine,
    by adding a line to /etc/syslog.conf ,
    and while this worked when the machine was functioning properly
    (with compiled kernel)
    it didn't record anything before the panic with the distribution kernels.
    Nor was anything entered in /var/log/messages on the machine itself.

    Is there any other way of ensuring that any kernel messages are recorded ?

    (2) Is there anything I can add to the grub entry for this kernel
    to ensure that the SCSI module is loaded?

    Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

  2. Re: Problem with SCSI machine

    Timothy Murphy wrote:
    > I have a SCSI machine,
    > a Pentium-3 with an Asus P2B-LS motherboard,
    > with in-built Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter,
    > and 2 SCSI disks,
    > to which I have recently added a large IDE disk for archiving.
    >
    > I've never been able to get any kernel that comes with
    > any version of Fedora to boot on this machine.
    > In fact, I think the last Redhat kernel that booted was RH-8.2 .
    >
    > Since then I have been running a compiled kernel
    > with SCSI built-in (as opposed to a module),
    > and have upgraded to each distribution as it came along.
    >
    > This has worked perfectly -
    > I'm currently running linux-2.6.12 under FC-4.
    > But I'd like to have the possibility of installing Fedora
    > instead of upgrading.
    >
    > As far as I can see, there is no attempt to load the aic7xxx driver
    > when I boot one of the distribution kernels
    > (currently vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)
    > even though I have
    > --------------------------------
    > alias scsi_hostadaptor aic7xxx
    > alias scsi-hostadaptor aic7xxx
    > alias scsi aic7xxx
    > # pre-install aic7xxx modprobe first_module_name
    > --------------------------------
    > in /etc/modprobe.conf (and also in /etc/modules.conf).
    > [It does not seem to make any difference
    > if the last "pre-install" line is included.]
    >
    > I tried running
    > "mkinitrd --with=aic7xxx initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4"
    > and installing the new initrd.
    > As far as I could see, the kernel did now install the aic7xxx module
    > but it did not seem to look for the actual SCSI disks.
    >
    > A couple of subsidiary questions:
    >
    > (1) I tried sending the kernel logs to another machine,
    > by adding a line to /etc/syslog.conf ,
    > and while this worked when the machine was functioning properly
    > (with compiled kernel)
    > it didn't record anything before the panic with the distribution kernels.
    > Nor was anything entered in /var/log/messages on the machine itself.
    >
    > Is there any other way of ensuring that any kernel messages are recorded ?
    >
    > (2) Is there anything I can add to the grub entry for this kernel
    > to ensure that the SCSI module is loaded?
    >

    > Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

    I just looked thru the old postings looking for something else, and saw
    this, you can at least check to see if the module got loaded. The initrd
    file is a compressed filesystem, which you can decompress into another
    file and loopback mount. Look to see that the module is included and
    configured. You also may need to use the --preload option to hit the
    loader over the head and tell it to load the module.

    --
    bill davidsen
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com

  3. Re: Problem with SCSI machine

    Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > Timothy Murphy wrote:
    >> I have a SCSI machine,
    >> a Pentium-3 with an Asus P2B-LS motherboard,
    >> with in-built Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter,
    >> and 2 SCSI disks,
    >> to which I have recently added a large IDE disk for archiving.
    >>
    >> I've never been able to get any kernel that comes with
    >> any version of Fedora to boot on this machine.
    >> In fact, I think the last Redhat kernel that booted was RH-8.2 .

    > I just looked thru the old postings looking for something else, and saw
    > this, you can at least check to see if the module got loaded. The initrd
    > file is a compressed filesystem, which you can decompress into another
    > file and loopback mount. Look to see that the module is included and
    > configured. You also may need to use the --preload option to hit the
    > loader over the head and tell it to load the module.

    Thanks for your response.

    Actually, I managed to solve my original problem
    by running "mkinitrd --with=aic7xxx ..."
    either under Knoppix or under Fedora in rescue mode;
    so now I can install Fedora (if I wish) rather than upgrading.

    The trouble seems to be that when Fedora installs its own kernels
    it runs mkinitrd, which on my machine adds the wrong scsi driver.