Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine - Redhat

This is a discussion on Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine - Redhat ; Hi, I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine. Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686. Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to install ...

  1. Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    Hi,

    I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.

    Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.

    Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to install
    the i386 version and then compile the thing from Source RPM's ?

    Is there any third party offering ready built i686 ISO's ?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Aaron

  2. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    Aaron Gray wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.

    Good for you....

    > Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.

    The i386 ISO images are for the x86 cpu family and should install just
    fine on your system.

    > Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to
    > install the i386 version and then compile the thing from Source RPM's
    > ?

    Not that I'm aware of and it's a lot of work for *very little* gain to
    rebuild every RPM for i686 optimization. It might be a good idea to
    build a kernel configured for your system, many do.

    http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html

    > Is there any third party offering ready built i686 ISO's ?

    Yes and no check around, for example from;

    http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...pdates/3/i386/

    kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i586.rpm 23-May-2005 12:35 18M
    kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i686.rpm 23-May-2005 12:35 17M
    kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i586.rpm 23-May-2005 12:35 17M
    kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i686.rpm 23-May-2005 12:36 17M

    and as an example; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html

  3. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    >> I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.
    >
    > Good for you....
    >
    >> Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.

    > The i386 ISO images are for the x86 cpu family and should install just
    > fine on your system.
    >
    >> Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to
    >> install the i386 version and then compile the thing from Source RPM's
    >> ?

    > Not that I'm aware of and it's a lot of work for *very little* gain to
    > rebuild every RPM for i686 optimization. It might be a good idea to
    > build a kernel configured for your system, many do.
    >
    > http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/K...ild-HOWTO.html
    >
    >> Is there any third party offering ready built i686 ISO's ?

    > Yes and no check around, for example from;
    >
    > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...pdates/3/i386/
    >
    > kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i586.rpm 23-May-2005 12:35 18M
    > kernel-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i686.rpm 23-May-2005 12:35 17M
    > kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i586.rpm 23-May-2005 12:35 17M
    > kernel-smp-2.6.11-1.27_FC3.i686.rpm 23-May-2005 12:36 17M
    >
    > and as an example; http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora3.html

    Great, so I could go for one of the bit torent DVD ISO's and then just do a
    few RPM updates.

    Many thanks,

    Aaron

  4. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    Aaron Gray wrote:

    > Great, so I could go for one of the bit torent DVD ISO's and then just
    > do a few RPM updates.

    Actually quite a number for updates, use something like apt, up2date or
    yum to handle this automatically for you.

  5. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    Aaron Gray wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I want to install Fedora Core 3 on a i686 machine.
    >
    > Am I right in saying the i386 ISO's are i386 not i686.
    >
    > Can I get a ready compiled i686 version of Fedora or do I have to install
    > the i386 version and then compile the thing from Source RPM's ?
    >
    > Is there any third party offering ready built i686 ISO's ?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Aaron

    i386 ISOs are ok for all x86 architectures.
    The install program will detect the i686 processor and install specific
    kernel and glibc optimized for modern processors

  6. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    >> Great, so I could go for one of the bit torent DVD ISO's and then just
    >> do a few RPM updates.

    > Actually quite a number for updates, use something like apt, up2date or
    > yum to handle this automatically for you.

    Last time I did FC1 and did either apt or up2date (cannot remember now) and
    it made the machine unusable.

    In some ways it would be good to have automated updates but it would be good
    to know they are stable. Doing manual updates is slower but at least you
    know more of what you are doing.

    Aaron

  7. Re: Fedora Core 3 on i686 machine

    Aaron Gray wrote:
    >>>Great, so I could go for one of the bit torent DVD ISO's and then just
    >>>do a few RPM updates.

    >>Actually quite a number for updates, use something like apt, up2date or
    >>yum to handle this automatically for you.

    > Last time I did FC1 and did either apt or up2date (cannot remember now) and
    > it made the machine unusable.
    >
    > In some ways it would be good to have automated updates but it would be good
    > to know they are stable. Doing manual updates is slower but at least you
    > know more of what you are doing.

    up2date lets you choose what you D/L and if you should install, I fail
    to see how you have (or need) better control by using a command line
    tool(s), other than more chance for a finger slip.

    --
    bill davidsen
    http://newsgroups.news.prodigy.com

+ Reply to Thread