New to linux, Trying to install-kernal Panic!! what to do? - Redhat

This is a discussion on New to linux, Trying to install-kernal Panic!! what to do? - Redhat ; Hi, Iam trying to install linux (fedura three version )on my Celron system (old system Eight giga Hd, sixsty four mega memory, ) I didn't get far .. After I press the enter, Few min PAss numbers are runing on ...

  1. New to linux, Trying to install-kernal Panic!! what to do?

    Hi,
    Iam trying to install linux (fedura three version )on my Celron system
    (old system Eight giga Hd, sixsty four mega memory, )

    I didn't get far ..

    After I press the enter, Few min PAss numbers are runing on the screen
    a lot of checking from linux and then :

    Kernal panic- not syncing -interupt fatal expection

    And that's about it...

    tried the rescue mode, after few min
    (when it says /sbin/loader )
    the same thing..

    Any Idea what to do?

    (there is not much to do I guess..)

    So where is all the greatness of linux as I have been told if even to
    install it
    is impossible?

    bye

  2. Re: New to linux, Trying to install-kernal Panic!! what to do?

    Over G wrote:

    > Hi,
    > Iam trying to install linux (fedura three version )on my Celron system
    > (old system Eight giga Hd, sixsty four mega memory, )

    It could be a bios problem, here's a guy that had to update his
    Bios due to a bios bug not letting the install disk boot:
    http://www.geocities.com/dueze/fedora3.html

    Take a look at the hardware requirements for Fedora Core 3,
    64Megs is not a lot of ram. I've put Red Hat 9 on a
    Thinkpad 390 with 96Megs of RAM and a 3.2 GB disk but
    that was pushing it. I did it via doing Expert install
    and hand picking all the packages I wanted to minimize
    disk usage. My current laptop is a Thinkpad T41 with
    1GB ram and a 40 GB disk, no worries at all with this one!
    Anyway, if you use the text installer instead of the GUI one
    it will use a lot less ram at install time:

    Here's a guy also with a small computer (32Megs ram), he was
    told to use "linux text" at the boot prompt

    http://fcp.homelinux.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?
    topic_id=542&forum=1&post_id=2007

    Another good option would be to try one of the "live cd" linux
    distributions like Knoppix, if that works out ok then that will
    verify the hardware's ok. With that knowledge then you can try
    a real disk install:

    see the knoppix info at www.distrowatch.com or www.knoppix.org

    > I didn't get far ..
    >
    > After I press the enter, Few min PAss numbers are runing on the screen
    > a lot of checking from linux and then :
    >
    > Kernal panic- not syncing -interupt fatal expection
    >
    > And that's about it...
    >
    > tried the rescue mode, after few min
    > (when it says /sbin/loader )
    > the same thing..
    >
    > Any Idea what to do?

    I'd try to run memtest86 on the PC, you may have a
    bad RAM dimm. I'm not sure but I think you can run memtest86
    from the install CD. I do know it comes with FC 3 and I
    used it to find out that a crash I was having with my
    athlon machine was due to two bad memory addresses.

    Here's a hint that it might be due to your cdrom drive:
    (make sure you re-splice this, I needed to break it for news)
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?
    t=18679&highlight=kernel+panic+syncing%3A+fatal+exception

    Mark