How do I get back from a console. - Redhat

This is a discussion on How do I get back from a console. - Redhat ; I can't seem to get nethack to display properly in a gnome terminal in Fedora Core 3. No one in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack has had any advice to offer but playing in a console session. I can ctrl+alt+f1 to a console ...

  1. How do I get back from a console.

    I can't seem to get nethack to display properly in a gnome terminal in
    Fedora Core 3. No one in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack has had any
    advice to offer but playing in a console session. I can ctrl+alt+f1 to a
    console but how do I get back?

    --
    Mark Healey
    marknews(at)healeyonline(dot)com

  2. Re: How do I get back from a console.

    Mark Healey wrote:

    > I can't seem to get nethack to display properly in a gnome terminal in
    > Fedora Core 3. No one in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack has had any
    > advice to offer but playing in a console session. I can ctrl+alt+f1 to a
    > console but how do I get back?

    ctrl-alt-F7

    --
    *~~~~~~~~~~~~Thor

  3. Re: How do I get back from a console.

    On comp.os.linux.misc, in
    , "Mark Healey"
    wrote:

    > I can't seem to get nethack to display properly in
    > a gnome terminal in Fedora Core 3. No one in the
    > rec.games.roguelike.nethack has had any advice to offer but
    > playing in a console session. I can ctrl+alt+f1 to a console
    > but how do I get back?

    X runs in it's own tty, often 7 (F7). Just fish around until
    you find it and remember where :-)

    Ctlr-Alt-F7

    Take a look at /etc/inittab (Debian, but I think it is the
    same on Redsnot :-)

    AC

  4. Re: How do I get back from a console.

    Mark Healey writes:

    >I can't seem to get nethack to display properly in a gnome terminal in
    >Fedora Core 3. No one in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack has had any
    >advice to offer but playing in a console session. I can ctrl+alt+f1 to a
    >console but how do I get back?

    alt-ctrl-F7

  5. Re: How do I get back from a console.

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 06:54:53 +0000, Mark Healey wrote:

    > I can't seem to get nethack to display properly in a gnome terminal in
    > Fedora Core 3. No one in the rec.games.roguelike.nethack has had any
    > advice to offer but playing in a console session. I can ctrl+alt+f1 to
    > a console but how do I get back?

    Linux in general uses ALT-Fn to switch to virtual console 'n', so
    once you get into console mode, you can visit the six or seven
    virtual consoles using only a two-key chord.

    However, if X11 is running, the ALT-Fn chord is reserved by the X
    manager and therefore can't be used. In X11 mode *only*, the
    three-key CTRL-ALT-Fn chord is used.

    Using CTRL-ALT-Fn from a console mode screen may work, because the
    CTRL key is ignored, but is certainly bad practice.

    However, the real problem is gnome-terminal; I've never liked it.
    The environment variable $TERM tells applications what sort of
    terminal you have and gnome-terminal lies.

    You should have no trouble running nethack under X11 if you:

    $ xterm -e nethack

    i.e., avoid gnome-terminal like the plague and simply bring up an
    xterm.

    HTH.

+ Reply to Thread