[Newbie]Mounting NTFS - Redhat

This is a discussion on [Newbie]Mounting NTFS - Redhat ; Hi, I have two partitions on my laptop - (1)Windows (NTFS) partition (2)Linux partition. While trying to install GRUB, I seem to have blundered somewhere and consequently I am not able to boot into XP now. I have extremely important ...

  1. [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    Hi,

    I have two partitions on my laptop - (1)Windows (NTFS) partition
    (2)Linux partition. While trying to install GRUB, I seem to have
    blundered somewhere and consequently I am not able to boot into XP now.
    I have extremely important data on my Windows partition and I have been
    trying to rescue this data. Someone suggested the following URL:

    http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

    (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
    /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)

    Now when I try to mount the ntfs partition, I keep getting the
    following error:

    mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
    or too many mounted file systems

    Also, fdisk gives the following output:

    /sbin/fdisk -l
    Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hda1 * 1 5099 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/hda2 5100 7295 17639370 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    /dev/hda5 5100 7295 17639338+ 83 Linux

    I am trying to get at the data in /dev/hda1. Please can someone advice
    as to what needs to be done. I am at my wits end trying to get at the
    data in my Windows partition. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. TIA.

  2. Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 04:38:10 -0800, domnicj wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two partitions on my laptop - (1)Windows (NTFS) partition
    > (2)Linux partition. While trying to install GRUB, I seem to have
    > blundered somewhere and consequently I am not able to boot into XP now.
    > I have extremely important data on my Windows partition and I have been
    > trying to rescue this data. Someone suggested the following URL:
    >
    > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
    > /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)
    >
    > Now when I try to mount the ntfs partition, I keep getting the
    > following error:
    >
    > mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    >
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
    > or too many mounted file systems
    >
    > Also, fdisk gives the following output:
    >
    > /sbin/fdisk -l
    > Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/hda1 * 1 5099 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
    > /dev/hda2 5100 7295 17639370 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    > /dev/hda5 5100 7295 17639338+ 83 Linux
    >
    > I am trying to get at the data in /dev/hda1. Please can someone advice
    > as to what needs to be done. I am at my wits end trying to get at the
    > data in my Windows partition. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. TIA.

    What distro are you using? NTFS support needs to be built into the kernel,
    but by default this isn't done in most distributions. To just get at your
    ntfs data (read only) see here:

    www.sysresccd.org/

    HTH
    Chris.

  3. Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    Spake Chris Cole:
    > > (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
    > > /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)

    > What distro are you using? NTFS support needs to be built into the kernel,
    > but by default this isn't done in most distributions. To just get at your
    > ntfs data (read only) see here:

    If it's listed in /proc/filesystems, then it's in the kernel. Right?

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    I had a cheery daydream of the tosser waking up on Christmas Day to find

  4. Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    domnicjp@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two partitions on my laptop - (1)Windows (NTFS) partition
    > (2)Linux partition. While trying to install GRUB, I seem to have
    > blundered somewhere and consequently I am not able to boot into XP
    > now. I have extremely important data on my Windows partition and I
    > have been trying to rescue this data. Someone suggested the following
    > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
    > /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)
    >
    > Now when I try to mount the ntfs partition, I keep getting the
    > following error:
    >
    > mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

    From the console or xterm session type; ls /mnt

    Does this mountpoint (/mnt/windows) exist? If no, then as root create
    it; mkdir /mnt/windows

    The ntfs driver (if I remember correctly) is read only so the mount
    command would be something like; mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

  5. Re: Mounting NTFS

    I am new to Linux, so by distro do you mean what version - if so I am
    using Fedora Core 3.

  6. Re: Mounting NTFS

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 07:20:19 -0800, domnicj wrote:

    [follow-up set to comp.os.linux.misc]

    > I am new to Linux, so by distro do you mean what version - if so I am
    > using Fedora Core 3.

    No distro is short for distribution. Linux only refers to the kernel of
    the OS which does all the basic/low-level stuff. A distribution is based
    around the Linux kernel, but incorporates hundreds of other programs to
    make the experience 'better'. Different distributions incorporate
    different collections of progs, but they generally all have a large degree
    of overlap. Examples of distros are Suse, Mandrake, Fedora, Debian etc.
    Have a look at distrowatch.com for more.

    To get back to your original questions, regarding ntfs support have a look
    at this unless things have changed in FC 3:
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/arc...hp/t-2229.html

    To reinstall grub try this:
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/arc...php/t-159.html

    Hth
    Chris.

  7. Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    Spake domnicjp@gmail.com:
    > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
    > /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)
    >
    > Now when I try to mount the ntfs partition, I keep getting the
    > following error:
    >
    > mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

    Are you doing this as root? What is the output of "cat /etc/fstab"?

    --
    Trent Buck, Student Errant
    I gotta go.

  8. Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    domnicjp@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have two partitions on my laptop - (1)Windows (NTFS) partition
    > (2)Linux partition. While trying to install GRUB, I seem to have
    > blundered somewhere and consequently I am not able to boot into XP now.
    > I have extremely important data on my Windows partition and I have been
    > trying to rescue this data. Someone suggested the following URL:
    >
    > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > (I downloaded the package and followed the instructions. Now cat
    > /proc/filesystems lists ntfs, so I suppose I have support for NTFS)
    >
    > Now when I try to mount the ntfs partition, I keep getting the
    > following error:
    >
    > mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows
    >
    > mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda1,
    > or too many mounted file systems
    >
    > Also, fdisk gives the following output:
    >
    > /sbin/fdisk -l
    > Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
    > 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
    > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    > /dev/hda1 * 1 5099 40957686 7 HPFS/NTFS
    > /dev/hda2 5100 7295 17639370 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
    > /dev/hda5 5100 7295 17639338+ 83 Linux
    >
    > I am trying to get at the data in /dev/hda1. Please can someone advice
    > as to what needs to be done. I am at my wits end trying to get at the
    > data in my Windows partition. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated. TIA.

    your best bet is to just boot from your XP cd and
    from the repair console
    fix your mbr

    two commands that are userful are:

    fixboot
    fixmbr

  9. Re: [Newbie]Mounting NTFS

    > Are you doing this as root? What is the output of "cat /etc/fstab"?

    [domnic@localhost ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
    # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
    LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults
    1 1
    none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620
    0 0
    none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults
    0 0
    none /proc proc defaults
    0 0
    none /sys sysfs defaults
    0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrecorder auto
    pamconsole,fscontext=system_ubject_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed
    0 0
    [domnic@localhost ~]$

  10. Re: Mounting NTFS

    In <1110813619.128456.107690@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>, on
    03/14/2005
    at 07:20 AM, domnicjp@gmail.com said:

    >I am new to Linux, so by distro do you mean what version

    Distro is short for distribution, a set of media containing Linux plus
    whatever other material the packager considers appropriate. That
    usually includes a bunch of stuff from FSF and other sources, plus an
    install utility. Since there can be significant changes with new
    releases, it's generally a good idea to indicate, as you did, the
    version/release as well as the distribution when asking questions.

    reply to spamtrap@library.lspace.org

+ Reply to Thread