linux newbie - rpm install problem - Redhat

This is a discussion on linux newbie - rpm install problem - Redhat ; Hi all, I decided to install linux on my laptop to learn a bit of linux. I'm trying to understand how to install rpm packages via commandline, so this is what I did. 1- downloaded a package from a web ...

  1. linux newbie - rpm install problem

    Hi all,

    I decided to install linux on my laptop to learn a bit of linux.
    I'm trying to understand how to install rpm packages via commandline,
    so this is what I did.

    1- downloaded a package from a web site called
    edonkeyclc-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    2- saved in /root/home/downloads (only file in this folder)
    3- started a terminal session
    4- navigated to that folder
    5- the command "rpm -q *" outputs "package edonkeyclc-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    is not installed" (this command queries the status of the package,
    right ?)
    6- so I execute the command rpm -ivh * which outputs "package
    edonkeyclc-1.0.2-1 is already installed" (this command is supposed to
    install the package, right ?)

    Can anybody shed some light on this topic ?

    Thank you very much for your support !
    Bar

  2. Re: linux newbie - rpm install problem

    barabba72@hotmail.com wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I decided to install linux on my laptop to learn a bit of linux.
    > I'm trying to understand how to install rpm packages via commandline,
    > so this is what I did.
    >
    > 1- downloaded a package from a web site called
    > edonkeyclc-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    > 2- saved in /root/home/downloads (only file in this folder)
    > 3- started a terminal session
    > 4- navigated to that folder
    > 5- the command "rpm -q *" outputs "package edonkeyclc-1.0.2-1.i386.rpm
    > is not installed" (this command queries the status of the package,
    > right ?)
    > 6- so I execute the command rpm -ivh * which outputs "package
    > edonkeyclc-1.0.2-1 is already installed" (this command is supposed to
    > install the package, right ?)
    >
    > Can anybody shed some light on this topic ?
    >
    > Thank you very much for your support !
    > Bar

    Have look at upgrade or freshen - I had a similar problem ( quite a
    while back ) and this seemed to solve it.

+ Reply to Thread