Installation of JDK1.4.2 on Redhat Linux 7 - Redhat

This is a discussion on Installation of JDK1.4.2 on Redhat Linux 7 - Redhat ; Hello, I have the 'bin' file of j2sdk1.4.2 downloaded from java.sun.com. I copied it to the linux machine and sets its permission to executable using chmod +x command. Now it may be executable. But it wont work. Typing the files ...

  1. Installation of JDK1.4.2 on Redhat Linux 7

    Hello,
    I have the 'bin' file of j2sdk1.4.2 downloaded from java.sun.com.
    I copied it to the linux machine and sets its permission to executable
    using chmod +x command. Now it may be executable.
    But it wont work. Typing the files name on the command prompt does not
    execute it and diplays: command not found.
    I tried by giving full permission to the file i.e. 777 flag of
    permissions to it. Still it wont work.
    What to do? Is is necessary to use RPM file insted?
    -Sameer

  2. Re: Installation of JDK1.4.2 on Redhat Linux 7

    sameer75@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I have the 'bin' file of j2sdk1.4.2 downloaded from java.sun.com.
    > I copied it to the linux machine and sets its permission to executable
    > using chmod +x command. Now it may be executable.
    > But it wont work. Typing the files name on the command prompt does not
    > execute it and diplays: command not found.

    ../name_of_the_file
    ^^
    Notice these two characters

  3. Re: Installation of JDK1.4.2 on Redhat Linux 7

    Lot of thanks for the same for this suggestion.
    It's a matter of two characters only.
    I was able to install the Java on my machine.
    Now it happens that I have to type ./java to execute the program.
    Why I have to ./ before each excutable file?
    What is wrong with giving only the file name?
    -Sameer

  4. Re: Installation of JDK1.4.2 on Redhat Linux 7

    sameer75@gmail.com wrote:

    > Lot of thanks for the same for this suggestion.
    > It's a matter of two characters only.
    > I was able to install the Java on my machine.
    > Now it happens that I have to type ./java to execute the program.
    > Why I have to ./ before each excutable file?

    Because your root or acting as root(su or su -).......

    > What is wrong with giving only the file name?

    Nothing for non-root users, it is considered dangerous for root however.
    For the details see; http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Path.html